House Price Crash Forum

The Fidget Spinner Economy

HOLA441

I had to kill sometime in Woking today between meetings so had a quick wander around the shopping centres. 

Apart from the 2 armed police (surprised to seem them in a town centre outside of London/Manchester/Birmingham), I was also surprised by the number and variety of shops selling Fidget Spinners. Everything from the usual discount books/craft shops through to sports retailers and phone shops all had signs promoting Fidget Spinners.

I get it as a inducement to enter the shop, but surely this doesn't work when everyone else is doing the same.

Is this the shape of things to come, the disaffected/unemployed and youth sitting on corners Fidget Spinning?

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA442
14 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

It's to soothe Remainer nerves. :rolleyes:

I'm fully behind the collation of chaos - I am confident of victory.

Cpt._20Chaos_20_Dom_20DeLuise-Cannonball

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I had to kill sometime in Woking today between meetings so had a quick wander around the shopping centres. 

Apart from the 2 armed police (surprised to seem them in a town centre outside of London/Manchester/Birmingham), I was also surprised by the number and variety of shops selling Fidget Spinners. Everything from the usual discount books/craft shops through to sports retailers and phone shops all had signs promoting Fidget Spinners.

I get it as a inducement to enter the shop, but surely this doesn't work when everyone else is doing the same.

Is this the shape of things to come, the disaffected/unemployed and youth sitting on corners Fidget Spinning?

Guns were in oxford as well, they didn't seem the type to want a fidget spinner

HOLA444

2 minutes ago, giggler000 said:

Guns were in oxford as well, they didn't seem the type to want a fidget spinner

Whilst it would be tempting to have a thread on where have we seen men at arms, I think it may fall a bit into the careless talk cost lives camp, as if everyone responded it would build up a heat map. Better to keep the murderous b@stards guessing.

HOLA445

3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Its all part of being on the efficient frontier knife edge between chaos and order. These meaningless memes and crazes will sweep through now and again like a rain squall. 

So yes, such things are to feature in the shape of things to come but can mostly be entirely ignored without loss of any predictive power.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
10 hours ago, John The Pessimist said:

As far as I can tell, these things have no meaningful purpose. Yet every child wants at least 1. It's consumption for the sake of consumption, and yes, that probably has a significant role in propping up today's economy.

Have you ever heard of "fun"?

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4414
15 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

ahh lovely woking. did you see the mosque ?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

They're the yoyo du jour. It's just a little bit of history repeating.

Edit: My family is so retro. My niece got me a yoyo for my birthday. Must think I'm too old for a fidget spinner, LoL.

Edited by Quicken