House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Yet another minutes silence

So as I see, yet again at almost the last moment, there is apparently to be " A minute's silence will be held at 11:00 BST on Tuesday to remember victims and those who were affected. "

Just exactly who decides we are expected to observe silence up and down the land?

As can be seen from the time stamp of this post I am using the moment to moan about this ever increasing prevalence of empty gesture touchy feely nonsense, along with flags at half mast etc.

Just who exactly decides we must all be silent or be deemed to give offense if we don't???!!

I, for one, refuse to take part and indulge in the hypocrisy of the masses who, admittedly mostly through ignorance, have played their part in allowing such atrocities to become possible.

EDIT UPDATE:

How long before we have another public concert for the memory fo the fallen, etc?

I mean, after all, coming together holding hands and singing Koom-bah-yah will really solve things and make the problem go away.

It's a sort-of-human thing that we do.

A bit like when a building collapses and we spend ages removing the bodies only to go and bury them somewhere else.

It doesn't really mean anything to me, but it appears to mean something to some people. To remember the event.

Although the other day, I was struggling to put the various attacks in order and remember where they were. Not because I don't care, but because there have been so many.

"Remembering" something that happens on a weekly basis loses some of its meaning.

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

It's a sort-of-human thing that we do.

A bit like when a building collapses and we spend ages removing the bodies only to go and bury them somewhere else.

It doesn't really mean anything to me, but it appears to mean something to some people. To remember the event.

Although the other day, I was struggling to put the various attacks in order and remember where they were. Not because I don't care, but because there have been so many.

"Remembering" something that happens on a weekly basis loses some of its meaning.

Well we never used to. That's for sure.  A minutes silnce was reserved solely for Armistice Day - and rightly so.

As tragic as these recent deaths were they were just everyday tragic crime and not a result of people willingly sacrificing their lives for the greater good.

As with everything else, by holding these special events we debase their true meaning and value.

Whatever we think, I think its a time to reflect on how the families are feeling. Anyone who has suffered a compassionate loss will always look inward and feel a sense of solidarity when things like this happens. Its a bit callous to not even acknowledge it, regardless of how you feel about the masses and their ignorance. 

8 minutes ago, anonguest said:

So as I see, yet again at almost the last moment, there is apparently to be " A minute's silence will be held at 11:00 BST on Tuesday to remember victims and those who were affected. "

As can be seen from the time stamp of this post I am using the moment to moan about this ever increasing prevalence of empty gesture touchy feely nonsense, along with flags at half mast etc.

Just who exactly decides we must all be silent or be deemed to give offense if we don't???!!

I, for one, refuse to take part and indulge in the hypocrisy of the masses who, admittedly mostly through ignorance, have played their part in allowing such atrocities to become possible.

EDIT UPDATE:

How long before we have another public concert for the memory fo the fallen, etc?

I mean, after all, coming together holding hands and singing Kom-bah-yah will really solve things and make the problem go away.

While observing a minutes silence is a purely personal thing, why would you have an issue with flags at half-mast? What impact does it have on you? Same goes for public concerts, why would you care?

Suggest you're being a bit of a snowflake regarding this, let 'em get on with it.

29 minutes ago, katchytitle said:

Whatever we think, I think its a time to reflect on how the families are feeling. Anyone who has suffered a compassionate loss will always look inward and feel a sense of solidarity when things like this happens. Its a bit callous to not even acknowledge it, regardless of how you feel about the masses and their ignorance. 

Eh?  Did we do a minutes silence for the victims of terrorism in france or Germnay? people who, I'll bet, you equally never knew. What about the half dozen slaughtered in a gun spree yesterday in Florida? OR....WHAT ABOUT THE COUNTLESS THOUSANDS OF CIVILIANS WE, COLLECTIVELY, OVER THE YEARS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALLOWING TO HAPPEN IN THE MIDDLE EAST THROUGH OUR POLITICAL CHOICES?

I'm sorry but I will not indulge in hypocrisy.

Yep, and immigration hasn't been stopped or curtailed yet has it? Are ALL immigrants being subjected to full security, background and other checks? Or are we still letting in basically who ever wants to come in from Europe?

2 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Armistice day it seems the silence has doubled to two minutes in the recent past. Who did that and why?

Personally I think two minutes is no where long enough!

In other countries there are multiple minutes of silence throughut the day, at random times.

Just now, Bossybabe said:

Armistice day it seems the silence has doubled to two minutes in the recent past. Who did that and why?

Still just a minute in my office/depot. Seems the least we can do? I always seem to spend the minute thinking of my parents...... both of them died in their bed....

7 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

While observing a minutes silence is a purely personal thing, why would you have an issue with flags at half-mast? What impact does it have on you? Same goes for public concerts, why would you care?

Suggest you're being a bit of a snowflake regarding this, let 'em get on with it.

On the contrary. I am being the opposite of a touchy feely snowflake!

Although....the minutes silence might, just might, give all the politicians a chance to reflect on their own collective guilt. But I doubt it though.

1 minute ago, anonguest said:

On the contrary. I am being the opposite of a touchy feely snowflake!

Really? You seem to be triggered by this subject? Your sensibilities appear to have been insulted? Or you could be jus' trollin'.....

10 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Eh?  Did we do a minutes silence for the victims of terrorism in france or Germnay? people who, I'll bet, you equually never knew. What about the half dozen slaughtred in a gun spree yesterday in Florida? OR....WHAT ABOUT THE COUNTLESS THOUSANDS OF CIVILIANS WE, COLLECTIVELY, OVER THE YEARS ARE RESPNSIBLE FOR ALLOWING TO HAPPEN IN THE MIDDLE EAST THROUGH OUR POLITICAL CHOICES?

I'm sorry but I will not indulge in hypocrisy.

Yes we did...... lest you forget.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-observe-a-minutes-silence-for-victims-of-the-paris-terrorist-attacks

Lots of examples of locally organised moments of respect, it's entirely up to you if you want to observe them. I'd suggest that if you were to observe each global incident however, it would take a sizeable chunk out of your day!

http://news.sky.com/story/stockholm-attack-victims-remembered-with-minutes-silence-10832678

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160725/local/mps-observe-minutes-silence-for-terrorism-victims.619981

13 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Really? You seem to be triggered by this subject? Your sensibilities appear to have been insulted? Or you could be jus' trollin'.....

Hah hah hah. No I am not 'trigerred'.

I used the moment to draw attention to the issue. I think its a perfectly valid topic for discussion on an OT board. Seriously. To question these various little things that we, collectively, are effectively pushed into doing, when we never used to.

I think the issue of 'debasing' the act of remembrance for genuine, and long established, reasons such as Armistaice Day by using it for increasingly minor events is worthy of expressing some disgruntlement.

My own pet theory is that the decision by those in authority suddenly deciding we observe silence, etc.for these recent events is perhaps, subconsciously, a reflection of their guilt at, indirectly at least, allowing the perpetrators to go unchallenged in our midst for so long and not listening to those who dared to speak what they previously found unpalatable and offended their sensibilities.  And so, somehow, by making everyone else show remorse, their consciences will be cleansed?

28 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

Yes we did...... lest you forget.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-to-observe-a-minutes-silence-for-victims-of-the-paris-terrorist-attacks

Lots of examples of locally organised moments of respect, it's entirely up to you if you want to observe them. I'd suggest that if you were to observe each global incident however, it would take a sizeable chunk out of your day!

http://news.sky.com/story/stockholm-attack-victims-remembered-with-minutes-silence-10832678

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20160725/local/mps-observe-minutes-silence-for-terrorism-victims.619981

Well the French related silence(s) passed me by. So I stand corrected on that. The point about this being a modern and recent thing still stands though.

Locally is fine. Since it is shared by the community directly affected by the events. Further afield though.....? and it's questionable

24 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Hah hah hah. No I am not 'trigerred'.

I used the moment to draw attention to the issue. I think its a perfectly valid topic for discussion on an OT board. Seriously. To question these various little things that we, collectively, are effectively pushed into doing, when we never used to.

I think the issue of 'debasing' the act of remembrance for genuine, and long established, reasons such as Armistaice Day by using it for increasingly minor events is worthy of expressing some disgruntlement.

It's an act of remembrance, and a purely personal thing. There's no requirement to observe these silences, aside from social pressure, your not expected to stop what you're doing and bow your head.

As for it debasing Armistice Day, that's hardly a new thing, is it? having said that, the victims of these attacks can legitimately be described as victims of war, as can those killed by UK/US munitions around the world.. Each victim is deserving of remembrance, each family deserving of any solace they may take from that act of remembrance.

p.s. I have another comment waiting for mod approval that showed we did have a minutes silence for the vicitims of the Paris attack, and that many other countries observe these marks of remembrance. Each and every one of us has the option to observe them if we wish.

12 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

It's an act of remembrance, and a purely personal thing. There's no requirement to observe these silences, aside from social pressure, your not expected to stop what you're doing and bow your head.

As for it debasing Armistice Day, that's hardly a new thing, is it? having said that, the victims of these attacks can legitimately be described as victims of war, as can those killed by UK/US munitions around the world.. Each victim is deserving of remembrance, each family deserving of any solace they may take from that act of remembrance.

BUT the social 'pressure' can be very dangerous!  I have already heard from friends, at their workplaces, being told (equally as surprised as me) via company wide emails. tannoy announcements, etc telling staff that 'they' would hold a minute silence in line with the rest of the company.  Try and step out of line in such an event at the workplace, of all places, and see what happens to your reputation!

As you say it should be strictly personal and not de facto enforced. AND, as i emphasise, not for increasingly minor events.

As for the latter highlighted point.......

Bullsh*t!  In the eyes of the poiltical establishment they are merely regrettable and tragic 'roadkill' on the journey to the collective Utopia they dream of taking us to. A Utopia fileld with hypocrisy.

hypocrisy.jpg

Well well well.......

Perhaps it has happended before and I had never noticed BUT......I saw, just now in submitting one of my replies, a brief message pop up telling me my message would have to be checked by moderators.  The reply remains 'hidden' for now - not actually (yet?) deleted.

Since I have never seen any of my posts subject to this before I can only assume it is a sign of the times that such a general discussion topic would be treated as being overly sensitive.

It would seem , like ASBOs in their day, I have attained some 'street cred' for posting overly controversial stuff that might inflame some people somewhere and give cause for complaint?!  So that my own posts are now flagged up as potentially naughty?

1 hour ago, anonguest said:

BUT the social 'pressure' can be very dangerous!  I have already heard from friends, at their workplaces, being told (equally as surprised as me) via company wide emails. tannoy announcements, etc telling staff that 'they' would hold a minute silence in line with the rest of the company.  Try and step out of line in such an event at the workplace, of all places, and see what happens to your reputation!

As you say it should be strictly personal and not de facto enforced. AND, as i emphasise, not for increasingly minor events.

As for the latter highlighted point.......

Bullsh*t!  In the eyes of the poiltical establishment they are merely regrettable and tragic 'roadkill' on the journey to the collective Utopia they dream of taking us to. A Utopia fileld with hypocrisy.

hypocrisy.jpg

I always go for a wander outside a few minutes before. I agree all these things are just getting ridiculous.

However this morning in my office - and this is a big company all would know very well - I totally forgot about it and nothing even happened. No tannoy or anything. Maybe those arranging these things are also getting a bit bored with the regularity of it all......

I refuse to take part in things like that. It has become, in my view, a form of sticking one's head in the sand hoping the nasty men will go away. By all means take part if you think silences, vigils and candles will help somehow, but I think the time for them is long gone. 

11 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I refuse to take part in things like that. It has become, in my view, a form of sticking one's head in the sand hoping the nasty men will go away. By all means take part if you think silences, vigils and candles will help somehow, but I think the time for them is long gone. 

My sentiments entirely!

3 hours ago, anonguest said:

Personally I think two minutes is no where long enough!

In other countries there are multiple minutes of silence throughut the day, at random times.

I'm not complaining, my family had more than its share of war dead. I'm just puzzled. 

18 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I'm not complaining, my family had more than its share of war dead. I'm just puzzled. 

As I alluded to earlier...I strongly suspect the extension to two minutes may well be precisely because a minutes silence is now so frequently used for to commemorat