House Price Crash Forum
iamnumerate

Historical data for affordability

I realise that this isn't at all what you are asking for but it is relevant (apologies if you've seen it before)

On earnings and house prices, again not much use to you if you are already aware of it, but this is the key ONS release as far as I am aware (also available on a workplace basis as instead of a residence basis on the earnings side of the ratio.

For longer time series on house prices pre-1995, the Nationwide data series goes back to 1973 and is available from their website here.

From 5.5x to 9.5x in just 6 years in London, 6.5x to 9.5x in the latter 3 of those 6, no matter how many times I see it in a graph it just leaves me gobsmacked.

Edited by Barnsey

8 minutes ago, giggler000 said:

Neat blog link, thanks and like wow, end of bretton woods is clearly visible, f***ing *ankers

You've got to take nominal price graphs with a healthy pinch of salt.

If something grows by a fixed proportion of the quantity itself each year it doesn't matter whether it's growing at 0.2% or 20% it will end up looking like a one of these so-called hockey stick graphs if you let it run for long enough and the ordinate (vertical axis) is plotted using a linear scale.

Even if UK house prices were only growing at 0.002% a year they would still strictly speaking be growing exponentially and in due course the graph would look like the economicshelp.org graph of the Nationwide nominal data shown above.

Edited by Pumpkin Muad'Dib

A nice logarithmic scale would be nice

6 minutes ago, Pumpkin Muad'Dib said:

You've got to take nominal price graphs with a healthy pinch of salt.

Absolutely. Logarithmic scales are required to easily view a change in growth rate.