House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before I get chastised for being lazy...YES I have Googled/internet searched as best I can on the following matter, but have got nowhere nearer to solving my problem.

I use a Hotmail account (now called Outlook Email). Yeah yeah I know I know....

One of the recent changes to this service is that, now, when attaching file(s) to an email they now offer a choice of uploading/sharing the files to a 'OneDrive' and the other being the traditional method of reading the file from the computer. I opt for the latter - 'Attach a copy' from my computer.

Very simply the issue is...

I have noticed, starting somewhat recently, that the file attachment 'progress bar' always quickly gets stuck after less than about 500kb - no matter how long the wait.

Files smaller than about 400kb seem to still successfully attach, and so allow the prepared email to then be sent. I have also tried attaching multiple small files (each approx. 100kb in size) and note that only first four will complete the attachment process, leaving the  progress bar stuck trying to upload the remaining files. After some time the process 'times out' and reports that the file could not be attached and to try again later.

Thus, one way or another, I seem unable to attach and send file(s) totalling in excess of approx. 450kb - whereas previously I could easily attach/send 10Mb.

I initially thought it might be some sneaky change in service capabilities and a means of driving users to upgrade to a premium service, which would restore the means to attach/send large files. BUT, as far as I can see, that is not the underlying cause?

This makes me begin to wonder IF, just maybe, the underlying cause is hardware related - and the file read process from my computer is not working as it was or has, inadvertantly and unkowingly, been changed.  Should it be relevant.... the hard drive on which the files are trying to be read from is an SSD of about 3 years age/use.

So, to those few IT/techie types who frequent this board, any advice/thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

It isn't a hardware fault.

Have you changed your router/broadband provider (MTU settings) or your browser? It sounds more like some kind of buffer overload or something at the server end designed to swat away users who want to upload large file sets.

I don't know what the problem is, but I would say that Hotmail, along with Yahoo, are the most difficult providers to deliver email to thanks to some ludicrous email spam filters which are largely due to it being a free service.

We have multiple websites where the users will never get any emails if they're using one of the above. It causes real problems (e.g. password reminders that never arrive) despite following all best-practices and so we routinely ignore this. It is, sadly, the customer's fault for having Hotmail or Yahoo and there's little we can do.

I'd recommend getting your own domain name and setting up some email :)

5 hours ago, DTMark said:

It isn't a hardware fault.

Have you changed your router/broadband provider (MTU settings) or your browser? It sounds more like some kind of buffer overload or something at the server end designed to swat away users who want to upload large file sets.

I don't know what the problem is, but I would say that Hotmail, along with Yahoo, are the most difficult providers to deliver email to thanks to some ludicrous email spam filters which are largely due to it being a free service.

We have multiple websites where the users will never get any emails if they're using one of the above. It causes real problems (e.g. password reminders that never arrive) despite following all best-practices and so we routinely ignore this. It is, sadly, the customer's fault for having Hotmail or Yahoo and there's little we can do.

I'd recommend getting your own domain name and setting up some email :)

"Have you changed your router/broadband provider (MTU settings) or your browser? It sounds more like some kind of buffer overload or something at the server end designed to swat away users who want to upload large file sets."

There has been, so far as I am aware no change in router/broadband settings. AND, since posting, I have tested from other locations with different internet service (e.g workplace, friends house, etc) - problem still exists.

Re: buffer overload......yes, that describes it nicely. The file upload/attachment seems to reach a certain percentage but which in Kb terms is always roughly the same (i.e. about 400 to 500kb). Thus, for example, if i try to attach a 1.5mb file it gets stuck at about 30%. If I try to attach two 300kb files it will succcessfully attach one and then get stuck early on when doing the second.

"..... but I would say that Hotmail, along with Yahoo, are the most difficult providers to deliver email "

I'd agree. I've seen, over the years lots of people slowly abandon the relatively pioneering free email service that is Hotmail to go to other services. For my part, fingers crossed, it has served me well for the light use it gets and of course being free has disincentivised me to go elsewhere. But all good things come to and end......

"I'd recommend getting your own domain name and setting up some email "

I've been thinking/planning that for a while and will likely do so now for sure. I'll report back, in time, after I see what happens.