House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

It's National Fish and Chip Day!!

What are the best facts about fish and chips?

1. Britain’s beloved dish actually originated abroad! Chips can be traced back to Belgium or France and fried fish was first brought to Britain by Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain

Who could have guessed - invented in mainland eu.

Forget stiff upper lip - according to the sun the UK couldn't even think to fry a fish.

2 hours ago, 200p said:

just bought fish and chips as we haven't bought some in a couple months

Same here.  

I need to do a big food shop tomorrow, and this thread spurred me on to visit the chipping, rather than tackle the defrosting chicken kebabs left over from a previous BBQ.

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Same here.  

I need to do a big food shop tomorrow, and this thread spurred me on to visit the chipping, rather than tackle the defrosting chicken kebabs left over from a previous BBQ.

That's what National Fish and Chip Day is all about!

Reminding everyone of the sheer joy of a well-battered haddock!

12 hours ago, juvenal said:

That's what National Fish and Chip Day is all about!

Reminding everyone of the sheer joy of a well-battered haddock!

Indeed, and haddock is a better choice than cod, especially given fish stocks.

Perhaps I should stop my regular fish and chips in the work canteen. That's once a week as it is, makes it hard to justify going to the chippy, and that's better fish and chips.

We've just missed National Donut Day!

I'm having fish and chips with donuts for afters tonight!!!!

I'm mad, me! I stay up 'til midnight sometimes!

Ours came out of the freezer the other night - oven chips we rarely eat and needed using, and some v nice big pieces of undyed smoked haddock which I just dipped in seasoned flour and shallow fried. 

Was v nice - must do it more often. Just wish we still had a dog to hoover up the smelly skin. Mr B eats his but I can never fancy it. 

14 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Just wish we still had a dog to hoover up the smelly skin. Mr B eats his but I can never fancy it. 

One man's smelly skin is another man's gourmet treat...

Here in Auckland, New Zealand, the local fish n' chip shop typically has 3-4 types of fish. The cheapest is hoki, followed by gurnard, then snapper (about double the price of hoki). We don't see cod up here, although they have it in the South Island. 

What kinds of fish are in your fish n' chips?

No one knows about "mushy peas."

9 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

Here in Auckland, New Zealand, the local fish n' chip shop typically has 3-4 types of fish. The cheapest is hoki, followed by gurnard, then snapper (about double the price of hoki). We don't see cod up here, although they have it in the South Island. 

Snapper is nice. 

In the UK it is mostly Haddock, Cod or Plaice. Though you can get Rock (Huss), Skate, Pollack, Sole, Monk Fish and Red Snapper.

Never tried Hoki.

Mushy Peas are peas partially crushed to a tasty mush, whereas Cheesy Peas are a fictional creation which became a reality.

2 hours ago, juvenal said:

Mushy Peas are peas partially crushed to a tasty mush, whereas Cheesy Peas are a fictional creation which became a reality.

As a southerner it took me years before I summoned up the courage to try mushy peas.

I will say though that it was the artificial green colouring that was putting me off.  Once I was presented with naturally coloured mushy peas, I considered them to be more like houmous. 

13 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

The red gurnard is looked on as quite a luxury fish in the UK. I have eaten a few of them, and very nice they are too. 

My only contact with Hoki has been of the 'put your left leg in, put your left leg out..' variety..

Here's a link to information about hoki fish (aka blue grenadier). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_grenadier

What is it about mushy peas that people find appealing? Are they nothing more than mashed boiled canned/frozen peas, or is something added to the mush to make them into a kind of Martian hummus? 

Footnote: The foreign foods section of our local supermarket sometimes sells tins of mushy peas, but they are hideously expensive and don't look very appealing. Do you get yours out of a tin or do you use fresh peas and your grandmother's secret recipe to make them?

10 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

As a southerner it took me years before I summoned up the courage to try mushy peas.

I will say though that it was the artificial green colouring that was putting me off.  Once I was presented with naturally coloured mushy peas, I considered them to be more like houmous. 

Tinned mushy peas are that hideous bright green colour (not had those since I was a kid)

Mushy peas from the chippy are usually pale green/grey in colour, I think they are made from marrowfat peas which I remember my mum cooking in a pressure cooker and serving with warm pork pies and brown sauce.