Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Is May cleverly sabotaging Brexit?


Optobear
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I would have been sceptical of deliberate undermining themselves to lose the election - however, I am completely u-turned by the fact that they chose probably the worst time ever to announce that they would legalise fox hunting if they win. Who is going to vote for someone who not only promises that, but puts the chocolate cherry on top by saying that they are personally in favour of fox hunting? A few die-hard squirey toby jug and side-whiskers types will be ecstatic but nearly everyone else will go ewwww no thanks. 

What next, secretly printing ballot papers with a waxy bit so you can't put a cross against Conservative?

Not so sure you're right there. Why should government get involved in such matters?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I would have been sceptical of deliberate undermining themselves to lose the election - however, I am completely u-turned by the fact that they chose probably the worst time ever to announce that they would legalise fox hunting if they win. Who is going to vote for someone who not only promises that, but puts the chocolate cherry on top by saying that they are personally in favour of fox hunting? A few die-hard squirey toby jug and side-whiskers types will be ecstatic but nearly everyone else will go ewwww no thanks. 

What next, secretly printing ballot papers with a waxy bit so you can't put a cross against Conservative?

You haven't even mentioned going after the boomers equity.

Is hard not to conclude that there are some odd forces at work here. Are Mays advisors all remainers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Not so sure you're right there. Why should government get involved in such matters?

There are all kinds of EU and UK laws against animal cruelty but what I meant was that voters are not likely to want explicitly to "vote for fox-hunting" are they. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the idea was a free vote on fox-hunting (in the 2015 conservative manifesto) - nothing certain about it and blown up by social media and pictures of fluffy fox cubs.

To me this whole election campaign has been one of the dirtiest I have ever known and the name-calling/accusations unworthy of a democratic society. And I thought the EU referendum was bad in that aspect. 

Call me an 'old gimmer' but I am appalled that social media and the BBC and other broadcasters seem to have deliberately (they do not want a conservative brexit)  vilified and name-called all conservative supporters - which has not been the case with the other political parties.

My hope is that those sensible conservative voters (who recognise that there is not a magic money tree) are the 'silent majority' who are keeping their powder dry.

No I don't think TM wants to lose.  I think JC is being manipulated by some powerful people and believes 'promising the earth' will prevail :huh:

Edited by olliegog
h
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Could backfire the Brits are for fair play. The audience were there for lynching Rudd and Nuttall. Shame on the polling organisation that chose this supposedly representative audience. 

Paul Nuttlall has (jokingly) tweeted the audience where actually Momentum...

Amber Rudd's father died 48 hours previous.  Yes it is seriously looking like May intends to lose and there is an all out MSM campaign to help it happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kzb said:

Paul Nuttlall has (jokingly) tweeted the audience where actually Momentum...

Amber Rudd's father died 48 hours previous.  Yes it is seriously looking like May intends to lose and there is an all out MSM campaign to help it happen.

I disagree - sorry - I don't think she intends to lose but she is up against the rich and powerful who are 'manipulating' the democratic process by promising 'things can only get better' (sound familiar?) and JC is a 'puppet' for them.  I only saw a bit of the debate last night (could not stomach it TBH) and he came across as very aggressive to the other participants and inciting the biased audience to heckle and boo. Is he the right person to be our PM and represent us?   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I would have been sceptical of deliberate undermining themselves to lose the election - however, I am completely u-turned by the fact that they chose probably the worst time ever to announce that they would legalise fox hunting if they win. Who is going to vote for someone who not only promises that, but puts the chocolate cherry on top by saying that they are personally in favour of fox hunting? A few die-hard squirey toby jug and side-whiskers types will be ecstatic but nearly everyone else will go ewwww no thanks. 

What next, secretly printing ballot papers with a waxy bit so you can't put a cross against Conservative?

I still think she is stupid rather than trying to lose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shrink Proof said:

Funny how May repeatedly said that Brexit is so important and demanding that the distraction of a Scottish Independence Referendum must be avoided at all costs, yet we can spare the time for a General Election.

A general election HAS to happen on a regular basis. An Independence referendum does not. And we had one just two years ago. That was stated by the very people who campaigned for it - as a ONCE IN A GENERATION event.

So for all the things folk can have a reasonable go at May for - this is one that is nonsense IMO.

Her stance on this is spot on. Tell the SNP where to go swivel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I dislike the BBC but they get accused endlessly that they have unfairly sampled their audiences when people think their pet candidate came off worst. They just can't win.

I have previously sent a FOI request to them for audience figures based on the questionnaire they ask everyone before these political shows (This was for Question Time) and they used their standard 'Journalistic licence' get out clause.

They have these figures readily available. If they are a fair representation they would have no issue releasing them. In fact - it would shut up a hell of a lot of people who continually go on about them being biased.

They choose not to. Join the dots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, opt_out said:

The establishment don't want to implement the Brexit decision. A general election has many ways of helping that aim.

We're leaving, we've handed in the notice, who do you trust to negotiate on behalf of the 99%...not a f**king banker, thats for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

A general election HAS to happen on a regular basis.

Every five years, unless actively chosen otherwise. So it could have waited until 2020, once the Brexit timetable was through, but she decided there was time to fit it in first.

Even though,whatever your views on having a Scottish referendum (or mine), May was adamant that there wasn't time for one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Shrink Proof said:

Every five years, unless actively chosen otherwise. So it could have waited until 2020, once the Brexit timetable was through, but she decided there was time to fit it in first.

Even though,whatever your views on having a Scottish referendum (or mine), May was adamant that there wasn't time for one.

My point remains. Her stance on another referendum was entirely reasonable. Her stance on a quick election was entirely her choice (With Parliamentary approval - which she got).

There's plenty else to have a go at her for. Not this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I still think she is stupid rather than trying to lose.

Problem with this view is that it is based on the idea that she doesn't plan what she is going to say and doesn't have a whole team of policy and comms advisers vetting her every word. These aren't innocent gaffes, these are the components of their election strategy. It's all very odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tempus said:

Correct. It's more a case that May has been found out, as she's stepped into the spotlight so we can clearly see her flaws.

She's rubbish. A real political lightweight. 

I suspect she'll make a monumental mess of Brexit and we'll crash out with no deal.

Looking at the lack of formulation of a Brexit plan between summer last year and now, I'm sure she'll beg for more time for negotiation in early 2019.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

Also, Remainer May would be best able to backstab the brexiteers with a huge majority.  Thats why she called the election in the first place, IMO.  Rather like Dave, she's being caught short on her schemes by the electorate.  With every election that passes the referendum loses its moral authority too, I think that's another reason why she called an election quickly rather than have the referendum result loom over her until 2020.

Actually a Tory majority not sufficiently large to swamp Eurosceptic rebels like the Mogg and Fabbers is pretty much the ideal.  From my PoV the best result would be a Tory majority of 10-20.

Edited by EUBanana
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ccc said:

I have previously sent a FOI request to them for audience figures based on the questionnaire they ask everyone before these political shows (This was for Question Time) and they used their standard 'Journalistic licence' get out clause.

They have these figures readily available. If they are a fair representation they would have no issue releasing them. In fact - it would shut up a hell of a lot of people who continually go on about them being biased.

They choose not to. Join the dots.

Well they were ready for it this time and they say they did it properly http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40118629
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, EUBanana said:

Also, Remainer May would be best able to backstab the brexiteers with a huge majority.  Thats why she called the election in the first place, IMO.

That makes sense.  Call on Brexiteers to vote conservative to give her a strong hand in the leaving negotiations then use that big majority to marginalise Brexiteer conservative backbenchers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Maybe arrogant is a better word.  She was in an unbeatable lead...and she might get beaten.

Pride comes before a fall

Good point, she was a failure as a home secretary, she tried to ban Geert Wilders because she didn't like his views on Islam (similar to Churchill's).

There is only good thing about May - Corbyn would be worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.