House Price Crash Forum

Cambridge: 'The housing crisis is at breaking point'

HOLA441

The mean annual Cambridge salary is £30,000; in order to buy the average house you need to borrow 16.7 times the average salary, and no mortgage lender will offer that. According to Mary Gibbons, the chief executive of the housing association Hundred Houses Society, the constituency needs 23,000 new homes just to keep pace with demand, let alone deal with the backlog. “The affordability issue,” she says, “is at breaking point.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/31/cambridge-the-housing-crisis-is-at-breaking-point

Edited by AvoidDebt

HOLA442
HOLA443
3 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Easy, all the government needs to do is offer a supplemental 13.2x interest free loan for five years, taxpayer backed.

Should be a massive votewinner for whoever thinks of it first.

The rest of the country might be a bit miffed tho.

I've said this a few times, Cambridge collapsed in 2007, I think their bubble is built on nowt more than it's a familiar name to chinese people :lol: 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA444
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

The rest of the country might be a bit miffed tho.

I've said this a few times, Cambridge collapsed in 2007, I think their bubble is built on nowt more than it's a familiar name to chinese people :lol: 

The whole country faces the same issue... Taxing the 5% pin pointed by labour earning over £80k won't work, because by that time, they will either be unemployed or moved to a cheaper workplace Dublin, Krakow, Budapest....

im presuming by £80k labour will attempt to switch that statement from per person to per household, as that's the only way they'll generate enough taxes to maintain its pledges... So every lemming will attempt to run for the hills ?

HOLA445
2 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

The whole country faces the same issue... Taxing the 5% pin pointed by labour earning over £80k won't work, because by that time, they will either be unemployed or moved to a cheaper workplace Dublin, Krakow, Budapest....

im presuming by £80k labour will attempt to switch that statement from per person to per household, as that's the only way they'll generate enough taxes to maintain its pledges... So every lemming will attempt to run for the hills ?

Make no mistake, the UK is f**ked for a generation of 2. 
The rich/landed gentry will continue to lord it over us all whilst hate simmers under the surface untill all hell explodes.

One can see it coming, can't one.

HOLA446
42 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Make no mistake, the UK is f**ked for a generation of 2. 
The rich/landed gentry will continue to lord it over us all whilst hate simmers under the surface untill all hell explodes.

One can see it coming, can't one.

Most of the country's rich residents are non-doms. The local inhabitants are few and far between.

HOLA447

Get the government and banks around a table and I'm sure they'll tell you it's old fashioned thinking to imagine that average earners can buy their own homes based on their own salaries. Certainly in nice places like Cambridge. A post-World War II blip. 

You're up against BOMAD and landlords and investors and higher earners. 

You'll just have to rent. 

HOLA448
8 minutes ago, Tempus said:

Get the government and banks around a table and I'm sure they'll tell you it's old fashioned thinking to imagine that average earners can buy their own homes based on their own salaries. Certainly in nice places like Cambridge. A post-World War II blip. 

Or protest

Or Leave

Or Revolt

The good times never last forever, The poor have had a taste of the good life, you think they're going to give that up.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The problem with a Plebs Rebellion is the government now have weapons which mean you will be VAPORISED as soon as you hit Westminster with your pitchforks.

Cambridge has actually been a success story - thanks to Herman Hauser they have built various industries which contribute to GDP. But the housing situation is fXcked. 

HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Or protest

Or Leave

Or Revolt

The good times never last forever, The poor have had a taste of the good life, you think they're going to give that up.

Voting Corbyn is about the best we've got.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
14 minutes ago, thisisthisitmaybe said:

The problem with a Plebs Rebellion is the government now have weapons which mean you will be VAPORISED as soon as you hit Westminster with your pitchforks.

Cambridge has actually been a success story - thanks to Herman Hauser they have built various industries which contribute to GDP. But the housing situation is fXcked. 

Is always the way.  Do you think we'd all let these ****s just take everything off us if we could just walk up to them and give them a slap ?

There's nothing much to fight for in the UK, you could revolt sure, but it'll not get you anywhere due to the above mentioned vaporisers.

The only people who might revolt are the immigrants, but then you'll be in a minority and i dont think some of them will be too PC about concentrating the British into a camp or two.

We've been/being robbed by the bankers and the establishment, AFAICT they will take EVERYTHING from the people.  There is little future in the UK right now.

Best plan of action, Get the F**** OUT.

Forget buying a house, just GTFO

HOLA4414
37 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Is always the way.  Do you think we'd all let these ****s just take everything off us if we could just walk up to them and give them a slap ?

There's nothing much to fight for in the UK, you could revolt sure, but it'll not get you anywhere due to the above mentioned vaporisers.

The only people who might revolt are the immigrants, but then you'll be in a minority and i dont think some of them will be too PC about concentrating the British into a camp or two.

We've been/being robbed by the bankers and the establishment, AFAICT they will take EVERYTHING from the people.  There is little future in the UK right now.

Best plan of action, Get the F**** OUT.

Forget buying a house, just GTFO

But go where? Same stupid asset bubbles everywhere.  The young generations have been robbed the world over

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Tempus said:

Having only had Labour or Tory for the last few decades don't you think that's like saying "For years and years I've tried these red square pegs and I've tried these blue square pegs but I just can't make them fit into this round hole, I give up". You could use a different peg?

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, maverick73 said:

I don't think the parties have understood how much tax revenue will be lost with Brexit and reduced business and jobs...

If it is 80k per couple then we will make sure we earn less (in the UK).

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, koala_bear said:

I don't think the parties have understood how much tax revenue will be lost with Brexit and reduced business and jobs...

If it is 80k per couple then we will make sure we earn less (in the UK).

Soon we'll have retirement laws that everyone should work until 80 years old.

The country can't make ends meet and needs a reset not another gimmick giving in one hand taking from the other. 

Its living off some historical nostalgia, but it's being run into the ground.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It boggles my mind when people live in an area that's too expensive for their salaries, unless their industry is only accessible if they are physically in that area. If I could work remotely I'd live somewhere much cheaper with warmer weather and friendly locals, live like a king and laugh at the idiots in the SE slaving, commuting, JAMing and miserable because they're too afraid of change to move. 

"The kids don't want to leave their friends at school." Army brats move multiple times and, er, you know, make new friends.

"We want to live near my aged parents." Take them with you, citing cleaner air and shorter waits for a GP.

"I don't want to change jobs." Thousands do every day, you're either promoted over your ability or having an affair with a colleague.

"Moving is so stressful." So is living in a rabbit hutch and paying through the nose, wise up or shut the f**k up.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, Up the spout said:

It boggles my mind when people live in an area that's too expensive for their salaries, unless their industry is only accessible if they are physically in that area. If I could work remotely I'd live somewhere much cheaper with warmer weather and friendly locals, live like a king and laugh at the idiots in the SE slaving, commuting, JAMing and miserable because they're too afraid of change to move.

The more remote working becomes possible the more people will get priced out even more of anywhere pleasant to live. Physical proximity is a good limiter on that and means places with jobs end up having a mix. More mobility, or remote working, removes that, increases centralisation of business and jobs and pushes people away. It's got some upsides, a lot up to a point, but push it too far and it starts becoming a bad thing.

Some will stay put for the reasons you give, a lot won't, and that explosion will seriously eff up a lot of places that are currently rather nice to live in.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425