House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Home NAS

At last my search for a decent home NAS system may have come to an end.  I really just wanted something reliable that could handle large backup jobs and which supported RAID.

I've had a Windows HomeServer 2003 (HP EX485)  which I upgraded to 2011, even putting up with removal of drive extender.  Generally this was hideously unreliable and occasionally required a painful rebuild. Not sure if it was the OS or the hardware at the time, so also built in on an HP ML110 G6, but still hideous.

I've tried out FreeNAS, had a lot of configuration issues with this.

Also tried Amahi, but had hardware compatibility issues and found it bit quirky.

Anyway, I've just installed OpenMediaVault which is Debian based and I have to say it is very straightforward and just does the job.

I think the key difference is OpenMediaVault just keeps it simple, it's not trying to go down the rather old fashioned  approach of the integrated home media center route, just supporting sensible protocols. These days, we have Netflix and cloud service, so don't need to store movies  on a NAS box.  So for a simple fast back up target, it definitely does the job and is very robust.  I also like the fact it is Debian under the covers as that is my preferred Linux OS - note the system command line based if you go in by VGA/DVI/SSH, but it has a nice lightweight web interface.

I am still running on the  old HP ML110 G6, with 4 drives and it all seems good, and I am getting decent performance over the network and having the ability to use NFS on the same share as CIFs is also nice as I have Macs in the house. 

Not much help, probably, but my son has a NAS. I pick it up from the home network on my tv. To use it anywhere I just log in to Plex, where he has an account. 

I just used ubuntu, and stuck a few drives in a RAID array. Haven't had any major problems with it.

Plenty of tutorials online and you just follow the instructions to set up the shares, plex, etc. 

I was even able to set up a VPN end-point on it, so I can use my laptop to log in and retrieve files which I wouldn't normally want available on cloud storage, etc.

QNAP boxes for me.   Have worked well.  I tried "rolling my own" about a decade ago, and it worked well enough, but I became overly familiar with md tools and parity errors.   The QNAPs have never missed a beat, I've got them in RAID5 with hot spare.  I've lost a fair number of disks over the years, and hot spares have been invoked automatically. 

I've always been worried by QNAP and Synology, as there were instances of the being turned into botnets, but I guess they've improved security since then. At one point I was on the lookout for enterprise grade kit on eBay, but actually things like the smaller NetApp boxes don't come up that often and aren't that cheap.

Lock them down with non default passwords and they're pretty good.    That said, mine is natted behind a fairly tightly locked down firewall and not accessible to the outside world. 

14 hours ago, buckers said:

Exactly, change 'admin' to something else and setup your router manually - for my linked NAS I explicitly block unknown IP addresses.

That's also what I do, though it was the cloud services in combo with default/backdoor passwords which were the issue at the time.  Also I have met relatives who have failed to change the defaults in their Virgin routers; I curiously found a Tor service running on the attached PC as well - given no one in house knew what Tor was I assumed the worst.

On 2017-06-01 at 8:10 PM, rxe said:

QNAP boxes for me.   Have worked well.  I tried "rolling my own" about a decade ago, and it worked well enough, but I became overly familiar with md tools and parity errors.   The QNAPs have never missed a beat, I've got them in RAID5 with hot spare.  I've lost a fair number of disks over the years, and hot spares have been invoked automatically. 

Another vote for QNAP. I have one inside a locked down home network and it's worked without drama for many years. The built in media server stuff has turned out to be pretty useful and low maintenance too.