House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Any runners on here that do distance?

So as a gym bunny I got asked if I'd do a half marathon for charity with 10 days notice ffs:blink: I am not really built for distance running.  10k I can handle pretty well, on a treadmill andget in around 35 mins.  I did the 21k half-mara today on a treadmill and got in at 1h 37mins.  Now I'm well happy with that time but this is on a treadmill and my feet are killing so I'll know where to put my plasters!!  Also I know this in that I get the occasional ankle niggle (did at 75 mins almost stacked it on the treadmill) and that as I'm top heavy-ish muscle wise my knees were also starting to blast I'm not in the best shape for a distance run, a bit more notice would've been nice!!)

So if there's any runners on here consider what advice you could give a fellow HPC'er who has never street run before and who is (obviously) too tight to buy a pair of 100+ quid running shoes that he won't use?  I also have friction burns where I wouldn't mind them if they was there from a different energy expenditure activity than running but i think that#s cos I was wearing joggers.  Never had any issues with that with 5k or 10k's though only kicked in at around the hour mark. 

Help, there;s no automatic traction on them roads!

I wouldn't do it. The impact your legs, and specifically your knees will take on tarmac is considerably more than on a treadmill. While it definitely sounds like you've got the fitness to do it, it takes a good couple of months of training to start building up the necessary strength to avoid knackering your knees. If you're carrying any extra weight (muscle or otherwise!), it'll put additional strain on your joints.

Oh, and expensive running shoes are over-rated. I've knackered a knee wearing expensive ones, and finished marathons no bother wearing cheap ones! Much better to build up gradually and make sure your running style is complementary to the shape of your body.

I think the first thing to do is to go out for a road-run in the 10k to 15k range so that you can work out what parts of your clothing and shoes configuration are going to need changes before the event. It would be best to do that now so you have time to heal blisters and minor injuries before the event. Your treadmill times suggest that you are pretty fit already, but you might want to practice pacing yourself during a road-run, using whatever kind of watch you have.

Some other things I've learned running half-marathons:

- Don't drink anything containing caffeine on the morning of the race, unless you want to lose time to a mid-race toilet stop.

- Arrive in plenty of time to find out where the toilets are, and avoid the queues.

- Work out from your training runs what pace you should aim for, and don't exceed it in the first half of the event.

- Buy a pack of safety pins for your race number.

Good callon the coffee BB.

Afraid I can't get out of it Craig I was duped when vulnerable!  Not really got time to fit clothing etc. guess I'll just have to go with what I have. I'm very good shape but not for endurance in running.

I have 3 days to heal after todays 'test' - its a pretty flat run so hopefully i'll at least stay running i hope!!!  I ran the test on the treadmill today fuelled by one banana so not too bothered about nutrition or taking water on (didn't drink anything).

Maybe caffiene the day before??? If I'd have had more notice I'd had fasted to shift half a stone... big difference when running but hey.

I'd say that if you normally run on a treadmill then be careful with running street.  It is a similar enough technique, but real running stresses joints and tendons more than the treadmill.  That your technique will be biased for treadmill is possibly your biggest handicap here.

But 1/2 marathon isn't far, so don't sweat it too much.  If this is your first street run then just take it easy and don't try to make a fantastic time.  Note that treadmill running tends to be 'faster' than real life as well, so don't necessarily expect to match your gym pace.

I don't rate expensive running shoes any more.  At the moment I'm running on a cheap pair of Adidas (£25) and they're great.

[why do people run on treadmills?  I really don't understand it.  They're boring and expensive whereas running outdoors is really nice 99% of the time and is free.]

When you say gym bunny, are you a light slim gym bunny or a muscular gym bunny?

I fit toward the latter category, 15 stone and 6ft 1 - so definitely too much weight for real long distance performance, but ok for rugby and 10k runs.

My fastest 10k is about 26 mins 30, but I do find if I go that fast or if I extend the distance to say 15k, then my knees suffer - admittedly less so if I go cross country rather than on tarmac.

Also get good shoes and also have multiple pairs and rotate, this definitely helps.  When I started I got ITBS, but reading up and switching shoes really helped.

7 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I fit toward the latter category, 15 stone and 6ft 1 - so definitely too much weight for real long distance performance, but ok for rugby and 10k runs.

My fastest 10k is about 26 mins 30, but I do find if I go that fast or if I extend the distance to say 15k, then my knees suffer - admittedly less so if I go cross country rather than on tarmac.

Also get good shoes and also have multiple pairs and rotate, this definitely helps.  When I started I got ITBS, but reading up and switching shoes really helped.

World record pace at 15 stone? Blimey, get your massive ****** to drop a few sizes and show them pesky East Africans who da man...

7 minutes ago, Fiddly-Dee said:

World record pace at 15 stone? Blimey, get your massive ****** to drop a few sizes and show them pesky East Africans who da man...

Yes, I was writing ******, I meant to write 5k.  

My 10k is best is 56 mins.

Either that or I am Kim Jong-Un. I also went round Glen Eagles in 18 shots.

I wouldn't do it. Sometimes folk do things like this and get away with it. Other times they pick up an injury that lasts them weeks if not months. 

But seeing as you've already said you are doing it - I hope you come in group #1. 

21 hours ago, dgul said:

I'd say that if you normally run on a treadmill then be careful with running street.  It is a similar enough technique, but real running stresses joints and tendons more than the treadmill.  That your technique will be biased for treadmill is possibly your biggest handicap here.

But 1/2 marathon isn't far, so don't sweat it too much.  If this is your first street run then just take it easy and don't try to make a fantastic time.  Note that treadmill running tends to be 'faster' than real life as well, so don't necessarily expect to match your gym pace.

I don't rate expensive running shoes any more.  At the moment I'm running on a cheap pair of Adidas (£25) and they're great.

[why do people run on treadmills?  I really don't understand it.  They're boring and expensive whereas running outdoors is really nice 99% of the time and is free.]

I'm aware I won't get my gym time on the street due to this but some seem to think it is the other way around!!

My gym is free (for me) and a great friendly social place, probably the kind of place that would make running club members change their about the conventional meathead or commercial gym.  TBH I like hiking outdoors but running seems to be taking the scenery in too quickly and not appreciating it.  Each to their own though I've a massive respect to anyone who keeps themself regular and a new found respect for runners!!!!

21 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

5 11' Just short of 13 stone around 10% bodyfat so the latter.  I do regular 5k treadmills in under 20 mins but that's it.  Probably about time for the 10% bodyfat update again lmao.

Would have liked a few more weeks notice, could've shifted half a stone which makes a huge difference.

16 hours ago, worzel said:

Stop being a wuss and make sure you destroy your friend in the race.

The ******er ain't running it - but no worries I walk alone in my goals which many seem to struggle with yet I find a major advantage :)

You know which bits rub from the treadmill test so just stick a load of vaseline on them.

It's hot outside now. I don't normally take water with me, but it is worth hydrating yourself well before you go. If its a half decent race it will have stops were you can take on fluid.

1 37 is a really good time for a non regular runner. A lot of people would struggle to run that time even after significant training which it seems like you haven't done much of. You have talent. Despite someone saying 13 miles isn't far, it isn't to someone who runs regularly/is a club runner. But to the average person who doesn't train its a long way.

If you are too tight to invest in decent shoes which do make a significant difference then you take your chances. If you are not a regular runner then you will probably be alright.

In at exactly the same time as my treadmill run 1:37 - I think anyway must be near that but I didn't look at the clock when I crossed the line but when I was collecting my water and medal the tannoy announced that to get under 1:40 you need to finish in 10,..9...8...7 etc.

Only difference from the treadmill run was that I got a pair of running socks... think I could smash 1:30 if I did 6-10 weeks training :)

thanks all