House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

broadband

I currently have Virgin fibre 150Mbps for £35 odd a month, no TV and no landline (we dont use TV or phone from anyone).  I could probably drop my subscription costs to £20 with another provider, but the advertised max Mbps would be 40 or 50.  Do I need the extra? I'm getting about 100Mbps to my router (did a speed test), and 20Mpbs on wifi (at the moment ... has often been faster)

Does the wifi router limit the Mbps to a certain figure, or a % of that reaching the router? Does having 2 devices online halve the Mbps each gets?

I'm looking into getting BT via quidco - 120 cashback and a 100 quid prepaid mastercard.  Contract is 45 per month but with that I consider thats roughly 20 quid a month off so £25.

Around 70 meg fibre optic speed.  Obviously 45 green queens will still come out of your bank account but I'm good at offsetting in my mind.

Edit - tv and broadband.  Speed depends on whether you are copper cable(and therefore how far from an exchange, I'm sure there are sites that can tellyou this) or if you are on proper fibre broadband.  Your speed is shared between devices.

The average user seems to be 'satisfied' with broadband so long as it is >10meg.  I'd have thought that this breaks down into something like >2meg for normal internet, and the full 10meg for light tv streaming.    Once you get into families liking to have a few decent resolution video streams I'd imagine that you'd need at least 25meg.  

I'd have thought that about 50 meg would be good for multiple hd streaming and people doing odd stuff like working from home and having lots of data to move around. 

What are you doing that requires 150meg?

[I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to broadband speeds -- IMO the majority of people don't require much data at all.  Most people equate 'internet responsiveness' with broadband speed, but it is actually more correlated with latency (especially for gaming) and contention at the exchange.  Oh, and the speed of the website server you're connecting to, which is usually the limiting factor most of the time] 

Checked my virginmedia one when it was 'upgraded' and it consistently chugged along at an average of 250mbs when hardwired. Doing things wirelessly with other users and interference from adjoing properties is another thing.

I have basic broadband at about 4mbs. I replaced the cr#p talktalk router with a better one from Amazon. I can stream 3 video channels at once, two roku streamer boxes and one android tablet say, generally buffering free. 

Seriously, people's expectations of what they think they need from broadband are hugely over the top. You only need fibre if you play online arcade games or upload a lot of stuff or perhaps have teenagers. And even then upgrade your router as the provided ones are rubbish.

I've only got 150mbps as every year they put the price up but offer a speed boost. It probably started out as 50mbps but has crept up bit by bit.

We have fibre as was the only "no landline" option.

4 hours ago, Si1 said:

Seriously, people's expectations of what they think they need from broadband are hugely over the top. You only need fibre if you play online arcade games or upload a lot of stuff or perhaps have teenagers. And even then upgrade your router as the provided ones are rubbish.

Not even for games, as pointed out above you need low latency rather than high bandwidth for that. The actual amount of data passed around isn't that high. The only time high bandwidth is useful for games is that even when you buy them on disc the first thing they usually do is kick off a huge download.

In my last place I was on fibre which maxed at about 60 mbps, now I'm on 6 and for day to day stuff it really makes little to no difference.

Wireless capability is entirely down to the router and computer, and where they're located, and whether there's another one nearby interfering with each other.

19 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Not even for games, as pointed out above you need low latency rather than high bandwidth for that. The actual amount of data passed around isn't that high. The only time high bandwidth is useful for games is that even when you buy them on disc the first thing they usually do is kick off a huge download.

In my last place I was on fibre which maxed at about 60 mbps, now I'm on 6 and for day to day stuff it really makes little to no difference.

Wireless capability is entirely down to the router and computer, and where they're located, and whether there's another one nearby interfering with each other.

Thanks. My rule of thumb is the more devices you want to use concurrently the more you have to pay for your router. £50 will give much much better performance in most houses, and £100 of using more than 10 devices.

4 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I've only got 150mbps as every year they put the price up but offer a speed boost. It probably started out as 50mbps but has crept up bit by bit.

We have fibre as was the only "no landline" option.

I have talktalk landline plus broadband. The landline is an afterthought that is simply an unavoidable part of the infrastructure. It's terrible quality and I only have it as a just-in-case option for emergency calls. Costs me £20 a month including a free mobile SIM card with 500mb/month that wifey uses. No broadband only deal can touch that for monthly cost AFAIK (?)

I probably should've added that I agree with your upload speed point, it's pretty poor on ADSL and was very, very much better when I was on fibre. I do minimal uploading so that's not much of a problem personally, but if you're uploading videos all the time it would be painful moving away from fibre.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

I probably should've added that I agree with your upload speed point, it's pretty poor on ADSL and was very, very much better when I was on fibre. I do minimal uploading so that's not much of a problem personally, but if you're uploading videos all the time it would be painful moving away from fibre.

Agreed. I have 100mbs both ways at work so use that for occasional video uploads to private YouTube channel, nobodys said anything.

21 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I currently have Virgin fibre 150Mbps for £35 odd a month, no TV and no landline (we dont use TV or phone from anyone).  I could probably drop my subscription costs to £20 with another provider, but the advertised max Mbps would be 40 or 50.  Do I need the extra? I'm getting about 100Mbps to my router (did a speed test), and 20Mpbs on wifi (at the moment ... has often been faster)

Does the wifi router limit the Mbps to a certain figure, or a % of that reaching the router? Does having 2 devices online halve the Mbps each gets?

I would say you need about 3-5 mbps per simultaneous intensive user. By intensive user I mean someone streaming video ,doing voice chat, or playing online games - or several/all of these vs just general surfing. Most households wont notice much difference above about 15-20 let alone 40 to 50.

No routers do not apply limits to internet connection other than protocol limits by default, and yes multiple devices have to share wifi bandwidth, by the sharing is dynamic - if one device is not using much, more bandwidth is available to others.

Personally I use wired rj45 for all my permanent devices (main computer, printer,  streaming box, freesat box etc) so wifi only gets used for visitors laptops.

22 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Unless you have very specific requirements (which you would be well aware of if it was the case) then you really have no need for 150Mbits/s.

Even 40Mbits/s is likely to be excessive unless you've got loads of kids who insist on streaming 4K video.

19 hours ago, dgul said:

The average user seems to be 'satisfied' with broadband so long as it is >10meg.  I'd have thought that this breaks down into something like >2meg for normal internet, and the full 10meg for light tv streaming.    Once you get into families liking to have a few decent resolution video streams I'd imagine that you'd need at least 25meg.  

I'd have thought that about 50 meg would be good for multiple hd streaming and people doing odd stuff like working from home and having lots of data to move around. 

[I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to broadband speeds -- IMO the majority of people don't require much data at all.  Most people equate 'internet responsiveness' with broadband speed, but it is actually more correlated with latency (especially for gaming) and contention at the exchange.  Oh, and the speed of the website server you're connecting to, which is usually the limiting factor most of the time] 

Yes - you come over as a complete luddite to me !! :D

You lot don't know you're born... I live in the middle of nowhere, broadband 1Mbs and no mobile signal on any network. If you've got high speed don't even think of dropping down to save a few quid.

6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

You lot don't know you're born... I live in the middle of nowhere, broadband 1Mbs and no mobile signal on any network. If you've got high speed don't even think of dropping down to save a few quid.

Four days to respond -- now that's slow broadband.

On 29/05/2017 at 9:42 PM, dgul said:

Tend to agree on the 10Mb/s point, as long as upload is at least half that as well.

The exceptions may be if you have something like BT-TV and want Sky Sports in HD, as those channels are serious bandwidth hogs. Also if you are a high device count household. We have about 6 tablets, 3 PCs, 5 phones,  3 games consoles, 3 Firesticks, BT TV, Sky and Netflix etc.  Whilst they are not all on at once, it possible to have perhaps 6 things running at once (usually kids with the TV on and watching YouTube at the same time). I'm also a computer backup obsessive- so normally I'm syncing with some cloud service somewhere.

Our top speed is is about 35Mb/s down and 10 up, but I actually run 2 lines anyway.