House Price Crash Forum

Shoebox In Ilford Anyone?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

On that site they list the council tax bands for Ilford.

A Up to £40,000 £798.21

B £40,001 - £52,000 £931.24

C £52,001 - £68,000 £1,064.28

D £68,001 - £88,000 £1,197.31

E £88,001 to £120,000 £1,463.38

F £120,001 to £160,000 £1,729.44

So a 2 bed flat at £270k is £110k above Band F.

The mind boggles.

HOLA444

Hilarious, particularly the description of Ilford.

"Funky, lively cosmopolitan Ilford, a little bit of London without the painful price tag!"

"Life in Ilford is eclectic and fast-paced with a lively club/pub scene and fabulous shopping."

http://www.higginshomes.co.uk/current_dev/vector/area.cfm

:D:D

Ilford isn't all that bad!

Mind you it isn't funky, lively, cosmopolitan or eclectic either.

The shopping isn't bad though.

There are loads of these new-build blocks of flats which have gone up or are going up in the town centre.

These are aimed at young professionals who work in central london and the city so want a flat close to the train station for work but who also want to be close to Ilford's pubs and clubs. I have never met a young professional who actually wanted to live like this.

This is exactly the sort of thing my parents would love me to buy with comments like "And everything is new so you know it will be good quality" :blink:

HOLA445

Ilford isn't all that bad!

Mind you it isn't funky, lively, cosmopolitan or eclectic either.

The shopping isn't bad though.

There are loads of these new-build blocks of flats which have gone up or are going up in the town centre.

These are aimed at young professionals who work in central london and the city so want a flat close to the train station for work but who also want to be close to Ilford's pubs and clubs. I have never met a young professional who actually wanted to live like this.

This is exactly the sort of thing my parents would love me to buy with comments like "And everything is new so you know it will be good quality" :blink:

No, you're quite right.......Young professionals able to afford £250k for a place are usually reaching the age where they want a proper house with a garden......................

HOLA446

Hilarious, particularly the description of Ilford.

"Funky, lively cosmopolitan Ilford, a little bit of London without the painful price tag!"

"Life in Ilford is eclectic and fast-paced with a lively club/pub scene and fabulous shopping."

http://www.higginshomes.co.uk/current_dev/vector/area.cfm

:D:D

An eclectic mix of local "yuuvs" who will kick your head in like a football for not "avin" a light, "innit".

HOLA447

An eclectic mix of local "yuuvs" who will kick your head in like a football for not "avin" a light, "innit".

The mind boggles. Ilford is one of the most depressing places I've ever been in my life. People say Stratford is bad, Ilford is Stratford without the tube, Eurostar and Olympics.

£270k?? A quick look on rightmove shows that you can have a wide choice of 2 bed flats in central London locations that are genuinely "funky", cosmopolitan etc. Where do you want to live? N1? E1? EC2? They are all available for the price of Ilford!

The discounts on these will be massive..... :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
Prices from just 270k

Gordon Bennet!, that's dead cheap, innit?, just a meagre 1/4 of a million?

I got 900k hanging out my back pocket in loose change, reckon ill go buy one as they sound great value & cheap as chips!

;)

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Bart of Darkness

Gordon Bennet!, that's dead cheap, innit?, just a meagre 1/4 of a million?

I got 900k hanging out my back pocket in loose change, reckon ill go buy one as they sound great value & cheap as chips!

;)

Buy 2 in case one gets broken. At that price you'd be mad not to.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Just logging onto the Foxtons site (not renowned for their modest pricing!) and there are plenty of 2 bed flats for sale in Fulham for under £250k.

How do you think the average wage in Ilford compares to the average wage in Fulham?

Fulham, or Ilford.

That's just how crazy this bubble has become.

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA4414

The mind boggles. Ilford is one of the most depressing places I've ever been in my life. People say Stratford is bad, Ilford is Stratford without the tube, Eurostar and Olympics.

£270k?? A quick look on rightmove shows that you can have a wide choice of 2 bed flats in central London locations that are genuinely "funky", cosmopolitan etc. Where do you want to live? N1? E1? EC2? They are all available for the price of Ilford!

The discounts on these will be massive..... :lol:

Thats the whole thing with these new builds. Build somewhere crap big up the area (funky - who said NY?) and put a price on it like it were somewhere people wanted to live - on the basis that "a fool and his money". What morons buy these places?

HOLA4415

Thats the whole thing with these new builds. Build somewhere crap big up the area (funky - who said NY?) and put a price on it like it were somewhere people wanted to live - on the basis that "a fool and his money". What morons buy these places?

I think they are called "Buy-to-Letters". In the long run it's probably of benefit to society that they are deprived of their wealth.

HOLA4416

Watford is just the same - countless 250k flats at places like Cassio Metro, Rickmansworth Road, etc. From the outside, they look like cheaply thrown-up modern Uni Halls.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-525...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

This junk is right above a massively busy, fast-moving four-lane road for god's sake! Wanna breath more fumes than air?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-831...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

They aren't shifting these at any great rate as many have suddenly become available 50% shared ownership.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-479...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

C'mon, you can get all manner of far better places in Watford for 250, even at today's daft prices. No wonder they can't sell them for love or money. This crap should be no more than £70k tops, 100% ownership.

If i only wanted a modestly-sized flat for 250 it had better be right in the heart of the London action.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Ilford.....funky?......... :lol:

Watford is just the same - countless 250k flats at places like Cassio Metro, Rickmansworth Road, etc. From the outside, they look like cheaply thrown-up modern Uni Halls.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-525...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

This junk is right above a massively busy, fast-moving four-lane road for god's sake! Wanna breath more fumes than air?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-831...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

They aren't shifting these at any great rate as many have suddenly become available 50% shared ownership.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-479...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

C'mon, you can get all manner of far better places in Watford for 250, even at today's daft prices. No wonder they can't sell them for love or money. This crap should be no more than £70k tops, 100% ownership.

If i only wanted a modestly-sized flat for 250 it had better be right in the heart of the London action.

These things are going up all over the country..........and the centre of Manchester has to be the new-build urban lifestyle apartment capital of England...................

and wherever you go they're massively overpriced even in the current market.......

In all parts of the country they're asking as much for these as for very nice not-so-small 2 or 3 bedroom terraces in trendy suburbs........................when IMO they're worth barely half.........

HOLA4420

Ilford.....funky?......... :lol:

Depends on your definition. Here are two from google. Take your pick!

1. fetid: offensively malodorous; "a foul odor"; "the kitchen smelled really funky"

2. stylish and modern in an unconventional way; "she likes funky clothes"; "we did it all in black and white in a very funky sixties style"

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

this is worse

http://www.30streathamplace.co.uk/flash.html

surrounded by grotty estates, right on the south circular, 20 minute walk to overland station, 25 minute walk to tube and next to a road frequented by hookers.

The quality of prose is impressive. Have you thought of becoming an estate agent? All you need to do is add the word funky:

Surrounded by grotty estates, right on the south circular, 20 minute walk to overland station, 25 minute walk to tube and next to a road frequented by hookers this area is funkier than most...