House Price Crash Forum
Sour Mash

ESPN in trouble - the future for Sky Sport?

Looks like the big satellite/cable providers in the US are really starting to get hit by changes in technology and viewing habits:

https://mises.org/blog/espn-and-bursting-sports-bubble

Coming soon to Sky?  Along with BT, they pay obscene amounts of money to the Premiership (as well as hefty amounts to tie up other major sporting events) to secure TV rights but changing consumer preferences along with people's desire (and ability) to stream specific material may well be sounding the death knell for the future of pay TV bundles.

I love my football but refuse to spend the obscene money demanded to go the game or watch on TV. I watch every game home and away online for free.

I suspect that they'll lose a lot of people in the coming year(s) to IPTV offerings online. I read recently that there has been a crack down on the dodgy card sharing by SKY and a lot of people are switching over to IPTV. I think as the people with some technical knowledge move over that they'll also bring over some friends and family with them.

The big media companies have had things their own way for too long and signed themselves up to some big money contracts. If they're services were a bit more fairly prices then more people might be tempted to stay with them, paying out £70/month for TV then £20 for a phone line and then more on top for broadband just isn't doable for a lot of people.

Maybe, but all the premier league has to do is set up a website and stream games officially.

even at £5 a game most fans would pay. I know I would. Bear in mind that the TV audience is in the millions worldwide per game.

I also have the full sky q package and BT sport. I know its expensive. But its light years ahead of a dodgy stream that breaks down every 10 mins.

Edited by 999house

I don't see Sky being able to increase prices much more. We are right at the edge of what people will pay. I suspect the market won't accept further rises.

I don't mind sky so much to be honest and I get BT for free with my infinity I have for work.  I pay £33 a month for everything on sky, 3D, UHD the works, which is about ~£7 a week, for that I get all the sport, all documentaries, all films, all kids stuff, on demand and catch up.  I watch it on my mobile, for free, and my kids on their iPads.  I could go on, but if I were to go to a pub to watch a match, I'd spend that in an evening.  Now, I can sit on the couch, work from home and watch the ODI's vs the saffers.  Say what you like, but to me, ~£7 for all that is good value.

Everytime they want to put it up, I threaten to leave, and it stays there.

9 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

I pay £33 a month for everything on sky, 3D, UHD the works, which is about ~£7 a week, for that I get all the sport, all documentaries, all films, all kids stuff, on demand and catch up.  

How come you have it so cheap? Wouldn't it ordinarily be £60-70+ for everything?

Edited by Errol

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

How come you have it so cheap?

Every year, I get a note saying my discount period is coming to an end, so I call them asking them to cancel my subscription.  They ask what they can do to keep me and I tell them, keep the price the same, which they've, bar one occasion, always have done.  The one occasion they didn't, I cancelled my subscription and got a letter 6 weeks later asking me back, at 50% off for a year.

Just play them, phone them today and say you're going to cancel as you've been offered a deal by BT/Virgin/etc for chips.  

I'm even sure you could probably find a 50% off for a year offer online somewhere if you look.  I'll have a look too.

Found this quite quickly, they had a 50% off in May too.  Just phone them, ask for the expired deal then say no if they only offer you 33%.  They need us more than we need them remember, it's a luxury.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/75-off-sky-tv-for-existing-customers-only-works-when-you-call-the-specific-number-3-weeks-after-putting-your-request-to-cancel-or-save-approx-140-via-your-sky-remote-scroll-down-1741671

Edited by HairyOb1
Adding link

The real problem for me is that technology allows greater discrimination than the all in monthly packages allow.

Let's face it you would have to be pretty much glued to your TV 24/7 to make use of all the sport that is on Sky.

I have a mate who has the full package and he never watches the F1, never watches the championship etc. Why pay for that stuff when you don't want it ?

Similarly I don't want to watch some dregs premiership teams battle it out at the bottom. The odd big ticket match between the top six I'm interested in, and if you want you can get that on Now TV. 

2 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

The real problem for me is that technology allows greater discrimination than the all in monthly packages allow.

Let's face it you would have to be pretty much glued to your TV 24/7 to make use of all the sport that is on Sky.

I have a mate who has the full package and he never watches the F1, never watches the championship etc. Why pay for that stuff when you don't want it ?

Similarly I don't want to watch some dregs premiership teams battle it out at the bottom. The odd big ticket match between the top six I'm interested in, and if you want you can get that on Now TV. 

You would, but I watched the cricket the other day, watched some Game of Thrones last night to catch up, will watch the Monaco GP later, the kids are allowed Disney for an hour a day, my wife watches it when she can and when they're all in bed, I sometimes watch some Discovery channel stuff.  As I said, for what is just over £7 a week, it's great value in my opinion.

1 hour ago, HairyOb1 said:

You would, but I watched the cricket the other day, watched some Game of Thrones last night to catch up, will watch the Monaco GP later, the kids are allowed Disney for an hour a day, my wife watches it when she can and when they're all in bed, I sometimes watch some Discovery channel stuff.  As I said, for what is just over £7 a week, it's great value in my opinion.

I suppose if you are a family of 4 a trip to the cinema costs upwards of 50 quid. On that measure its probably good value.

For me as a single bloke I would have to watch 4x as much as a family of four could to get the same value, which would probably cause blood clots and burn out my retinas.

I like ice hockey; OK it's not up there with soccer and so on but it's not like I am the only person in UK who would watch it. Massive in North America and Europe. The sports channels don't give a toss and I don't even bother asking "please take my money" anymore. They can all go out of business for all I care in fact please do. 

4 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Pay per channel ?

I would be up for that. I imagine most people would too. Which would decimate their income. 

If Sky started getting into trouble with falling subscriptions, it would be interesting to see whether they'd put pressure on the Premier League and the FA to open up 3pm kickoffs, then perhaps make them pay per view...

Edited by Dave Beans

Is football as popular in your social circles and workplace as it always was? 

In my experience younger generations are far more interested in gaming than any other form of mass entertainment.

8 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I misread that initially and thought you meant he watched some sport but not F1. That answer was - because they force you to with their bundling. That's why. I want ONLY the F1 but I have to pay for six sport channels even though I only want 1.

Also, for the 15-odd years previously to that I only had the non-premium package (no sport or hollywood films), and those packages *hugely* subsidy the sports rights. So even if you don't sub to the sports channels, you're still paying for them.

in general, the price-points are deliberately chosen to up-sell. Lowest price is not very cheap, and you get almost nothing. For a LOT more money, you get something. but for "just a little bit more" than that, you get a much better value-for-money deal. So if you take the cheaper deal, it's actually a lot worse value for money, massively compromised channel-wise, and you feel as if you're cutting off your nose. They aren't stupid when they set their prices.

Hence - lots of people paying for the "top" package with no chance in hell of having time to watch it all. It's like being forced to chose between being allowed 5 minutes to eat a whole banquet, or an hour to eat a tin of soup.

Edited by mrtickle

9 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

You could also look at it that if Jim pays for Sky to get rugby and John for golf, they are basically getting the other sport for free as the marginal cost to Sky of showing it to an extra viewer is zero. If they each only subscribed to rugby / golf how much cheaper would it actually be? Obvs in real world Prem League dominates rights costs.