House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Housing market moving sideways, lenders say

24 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Sideways, treading water, waiting for the new pope. Mmmmm.

Seeing a lot of big drops around northants in last week or so.

Seeming some stuf that's been u[p for a year now.  

That's just not been happening since 2012.

The water flowed in and then it flowed out.

Some people will be left stranded 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Wimbledon is on again this year so people will be too busy watching the tennis to go out and but a house.

Also, we're experiencing unseasonably changeable weather so there's that too.

Yes it's been sunny so people have been enjoying themselves. When it's rainy people don't want to view houses.

Makes you wonder what the perfect house hunting weather and time of year ought to be?

17 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

"However, monthly mortgage lending figures tend to be volatile, and activity often drops in the spring."

Really? REALLY!?

The Spring Trounce..

The CML's senior economist, Mohammad Jamei, said: "The housing market appears to be, for want of a better phrase, moving sideways."

lol he's been well trained! Anyway sustained low volumes will be manageable for CML members. Less so for estate agents.

I'm sure it will get merged into the other thread ... but welcome to the forum: and you're especially welcome as a bearer of good news.

I see the BBC and the CML are twisting on the hook to try to show a promising side to the numbers, but I think they are trying too hard for them to sound convincing.

Only another few weeks and we will see which way the new govt is going to send the housing market.

We all know Carney will print, lower rates and fill the TFS coffers with cheaper debt .. but will the probable Tory govt realise anymore HPI and they're toast in 2022 if not before.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I'm sure it will get merged into the other thread ... but welcome to the forum: and you're especially welcome as a bearer of good news.

I see the BBC and the CML are twisting on the hook to try to show a promising side to the numbers, but I think they are trying too hard for them to sound convincing.

Yes I saw that the Count had beaten me to it after posting - doh! I'm a long time lurker vowing to contribute to commenting on what I feel is the endgame. 

1 hour ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

Only another few weeks and we will see which way the new govt is going to send the housing market.

We all know Carney will print, lower rates and fill the TFS coffers with cheaper debt .. but will the probable Tory govt realise anymore HPI and they're toast in 2022 if not before.

I guess its unknown territory, but who knows/are there any rules as to how much blatant propping can be done by the vested interests!? How much damage can they self inflict for the future? Can panic printing/rate setting really cut it any more? Does the mainstream care/understand enough? I guess thats what the tories/BOE are going to have to weigh up as you say, but it doesn't look pretty in my crystal ball.

'One possible reason for the fall is that landlords might have brought forward purchases, to avoid the latest in a series of tax changes.

From 1 April, the amount of tax relief they could claim on mortgage payments was reduced.'

Um, what?

10 hours ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

Remember he doesn't target house prices only inflation but he'll do exactly as you suggest 'to secure the banks'. Sham no journalists ever asks him why he's not worried by those same bank taking on those loans in the first place. 

It'll be great to watch him squirming when 'looking through' near out of control inflation whilst dropping rates. The effect of these actions will further erode Sterling and ultimately deepen the near view bust. 

He's just trying to keep the bubble from bursting before he stands down.

Edited by Blod

18 hours ago, anonlymouse said:

Yes it's been sunny so people have been enjoying themselves. When it's rainy people don't want to view houses.

Makes you wonder what the perfect house hunting weather and time of year ought to be?

I blame those weather forcecasts for not including it - "Showers with sunny intervals over the weekend, but Monday is expected to bring good house-hunting conditions."

8 hours ago, interestrateripoff said:

How does the housing market move sideways? Its either up/down/no change.

Bull5h1t of the highest order.

Picture 4 piles of cash needed to pay full asking price, then move your hand sideways to knock a lot of notes off each pile as prices reduce. 

11 hours ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

'One possible reason for the fall is that landlords might have brought forward purchases, to avoid the latest in a series of tax changes.

From 1 April, the amount of tax relief they could claim on mortgage payments was reduced.'

Um, what?

The tax started in April. People bought in March as they knew the tax was starting in April and they are terminally stupid...

2 hours ago, monkeyprojects said:

The tax started in April. People bought in March as they knew the tax was starting in April and they are terminally stupid...

31 minutes ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Could that possibly be true?

No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. - H. L. Mencken.

As true today as it was when he wrote it in 1926.

12 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. - H. L. Mencken.

As true today as it was when he wrote it in 1926.

Interesting. I can say that I have not done as well on a business partly based on overestimating the intelligence of the masses.

"One of the biggest flounders an intelligent person can make, is to assume that what is so easily obvious to them, will naturally be to others." Arpeggio, HPC forum 2017 lol