House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lambie

Rightmove Touting for Business For EAs

Something new and maybe worthy of discussion.

Rightmove have sent an email (on behalf of an EA) offering a 'free' valuation.  I guess this is the virtual equivalent of shoving a card through the door, but it's not something I've had before.  

It seems to show that Rightmove are touting a new service to EAs (probably using some management manglespeak about targeted analytics) and EAs are taking them up on it.  

I'm not particularly happy about them making my details available to 3rd parties.

Is it something significant do we think, or just an indication that desperate EAs are grabbing at straws in the wind?  

Hi XXX,

As I’m sure you are aware, the property market is particularly strong. We can see that you made [my address] your home in 2002. Do you have a plan to get the highest value for your property?

Next week, the Bridgfords team will be valuing houses near yours and I'm writing to see if you would like to take advantage of this opportunity. If you have been considering a move then we will be offering advice to homeowners like you who are planning for the future. 

To join your neighbours in discovering the value of your property, simply click on the button below to claim your free, no obligation market appraisal.

9 minutes ago, R1ch said:

How do they know your home address?!

He's an Estate Agent ?

I've always suspected everyone on here bar me is a landlord  an estate agent or that fat **** from Kent.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

19 minutes ago, R1ch said:

How do they know your home address?!

Not sure, I presume I must have put it in when I registered, so my fault.  Then again I've moved since then.  Or i put it in when requesting details on kite flyers and saying "let me know when they want to do a deal at 30% less than that".

Unless they've got it all linked up to google maps which has my home address in, wouldn't surprise me.

12 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

He's an Estate Agent ?

I've always suspected everyone on here bar me is a landlord  an estate agent or that fat **** from Kent.

I'm definitely not an estate agent, although I did inadvertently go along to an interview for one back when I was doley scum fresh out of uni.

I'm pleased to note that their entire ethos repulsed me even then, so I spectacularly blew the interview.  

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/this-site/terms-of-use-and-privacy-policy.html

A quick skim through appears that they can give your details to anyone who you contact through the site. So unless you've contacted that agent, via rightmove, whilst logged in, they probably shouldn't have your details. Admittedly there is a lot to read through and they probably cover themselves.

4 minutes ago, Tenant4Life? said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/this-site/terms-of-use-and-privacy-policy.html

A quick skim through appears that they can give your details to anyone who you contact through the site. So unless you've contacted that agent, via rightmove, whilst logged in, they probably shouldn't have your details. Admittedly there is a lot to read through and they probably cover themselves.

If the email came from Rightmove (which the OP says it did), they haven't shared the details with the estate agent (at least, not for the purposes of sending this email). They've sent the email on behalf of a third party - fairly standard T&Cs on a registration form (usually pre-checked)...

Just now, R1ch said:

If the email came from Rightmove (which the OP says it did), they haven't shared the details with the estate agent (at least, not for the purposes of sending this email). They've sent the email on behalf of a third party - fairly standard T&Cs on a registration form (usually pre-checked)...

Good point.

4 minutes ago, R1ch said:

Yes you're probably right, although the email is signed by the EA. But not necessarily sent by them and as T4L says, the T&Cs will no doubt be sufficiently opaque so that it is legally defensible.

Still, seems an unusual way to tout for business but I guess we're into the phase where grasping at straws is a viable option.

Edit: the small print says 'This message was sent to you by rightmove.co.uk on behalf of Bridgfords' so they're probably covered.

Edited by Lambie

28 minutes ago, Lambie said:

I'm definitely not an estate agent, although I did inadvertently go along to an interview for one back when I was doley scum fresh out of uni.

I'm pleased to note that their entire ethos repulsed me even then, so I spectacularly blew the interview.  

Only an EA would deny being an EA.....

Only joking, good reply tho.  How many seconds did it take for you to realise  they were all ****s ?

1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Only an EA would deny being an EA.....

Only joking, good reply tho.  How many seconds did it take for you to realise  they were all ****s ?

It was either the excessive hair gel or the way in which they were interested in my analytical skills to provide conclusions they wanted to see, rather than what the data actually showed.

The little voice that said 'nope' started chirping fairly early in.  

37 minutes ago, Lambie said:

It was either the excessive hair gel or the way in which they were interested in my analytical skills to provide conclusions they wanted to see, rather than what the data actually showed.

The little voice that said 'nope' started chirping fairly early in.  

In guessing those conclusions were "House prices only ever go up and are totally affordable if subsidised by the tax payers and peoples savings".

27 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

In guessing those conclusions were "House prices only ever go up and are totally affordable if subsidised by the tax payers and peoples savings".

Probably something along those lines, essentially analysis to support their marketing that it was the best ever time to sell/buy a house, depending on audience.

This was around the late 90s so when things were starting to go a bit wonky.  I recall the job centre was flooded with EA jobs at the time so basically got forced into going, eventually I did end up in marketing and hated it every bit as much as i thought i would.