Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panda

Car Insurance - Advice Needed Please

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have a lady friend, she has a problem with regards to her car, and I do not drive so I am unsure as to what advice to give her..

Eight weeks ago, she was at a car boot sale with her son and his girlfriend, her car was parked up, hand brake on, and in first gear, doors locked etc.. The car is all legal, insured by my lady friend. Her sons girlfriend has no car insurance so is not covered to drive any car.

The sons girlfriend, grabbed the car keys, unlocked the car, jumped behind the wheel, and started the car wile in gear. The car jumped forward and touched the car parked in front. The owners of the second car seen all this happen. There was very little damage and it happened on private land. They spoke, agreed that it was not worth going through any insurance, exchanged mobile phone numbers out of courtesy and went on their way....The third party did not take and registration numbers, nothing at all, they only had my lady friends mobile phone number..

Three weeks, my lady friend started getting demands for money via WhatsApp messaging, these demands included pictures of damage to the third party's car, which never happened on the day of the bump at the car boot sale. She ignored, never responded, never incriminated herself at all. Next she started getting phone calls, she ignored, next voice messages asking how the money was going to be settled, she ignored. She has not replied in any sense, no communication at all from my lady friend.

The third party only has my lady friends mobile phone number...

Last week she receives an email from this address....motorclaims@ageas.co.uk

A legit email containing a pdf letter. This letter contains my friends home address and her full name, but no mention of the make or model of my lady friends car. How the hell did the car insurance people get this information, is it legal? Is it legal to send such letters via email. The letter is outlined below. She is quite upset, and she has not replied in any format, there are no recorded conversations or messages or emails sent by my friend admitting to anything...Any advice as to what to do? Thanks

 

Dear.....................
Incident Date:...................
We have been contacted by a third party who has told us they were recently involved in
an accident with you.
We would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you about this and ask that you please
call us on .............. Time is very important in this situation and we should be
grateful if you would call us as soon as possible. Without contact we may be forced to
deal with the third party claim which could ultimately impact your No Claims Discount.
We need to know what has happened to enable us to deal appropriately with any claim
that is made. Your co-operation is much appreciated.
Yours sincerely,
......................................
Onecall Accident Helpline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if the third party did not take any pictures or exchange any details at the time, seems a long bow to me.  but unfortunately, this is one case where she will need to get her insurance firm involved to tell the other one to feck off.

She should say that she was not driving, and there was no damage to the other car.  Her car was moved to permit access to the exit and nudged the other car, that is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Well, if the third party did not take any pictures or exchange any details at the time, seems a long bow to me.  but unfortunately, this is one case where she will need to get her insurance firm involved to tell the other one to feck off.

She should say that she was not driving, and there was no damage to the other car.  Her car was moved to permit access to the exit and nudged the other car, that is all.

Thanks wherebee......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Panda said:

Thanks wherebee......

but...be aware that this could well impact her NCB.  In my experience unless you are a blank on their radar, there can be an impact

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds as though Aegeas are her own insurance company.

It also sounds like the third party did make a note of her registration number, perhaps when she wasn't looking.

They may have then been trying to contact her to sort it out via WhatsApp.  As she didn't respond they have given up and gone to their own insurance company.  If the amount is under the excess that she pays then they may have directed her to your friends insurance company (Ageas) to get it paid for as it wouldn't be covered under her policy (as under the excess amount).

It will be difficult for her to prove that the damage caused wasn't as a result of the incident.  In addition it is an offence to allow someone else to use your car without insurance so she needs to be careful what she says in her response to Ageas.  She either says the girl was driving with her permission (an offence as no insurance) or she used the car without permission (theft of motor vehicle).

How much are they asking for?  It may be worth just paying it as by fighting it may open an unwanted can of worms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BTLH8ER said:

It sounds as though Aegeas are her own insurance company.

It also sounds like the third party did make a note of her registration number, perhaps when she wasn't looking.

They may have then been trying to contact her to sort it out via WhatsApp.  As she didn't respond they have given up and gone to their own insurance company.  If the amount is under the excess that she pays then they may have directed her to your friends insurance company (Ageas) to get it paid for as it wouldn't be covered under her policy (as under the excess amount).

It will be difficult for her to prove that the damage caused wasn't as a result of the incident.  In addition it is an offence to allow someone else to use your car without insurance so she needs to be careful what she says in her response to Ageas.  She either says the girl was driving with her permission (an offence as no insurance) or she used the car without permission (theft of motor vehicle).

How much are they asking for?  It may be worth just paying it as by fighting it may open an unwanted can of worms.

 

Nope - some policies allow anyone you authorise to drive under your insurance.  For example, when my father in law visits me, he can drive my car as I give him permission.

 

Does depend on the policy she has, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She needs to phone her insurance company legal helpline and not to respond to any communication from Ageas unless her insurance company tells her to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wherebee said:

Nope - some policies allow anyone you authorise to drive under your insurance.  For example, when my father in law visits me, he can drive my car as I give him permission.

 

Does depend on the policy she has, I suppose.

True if she has an any driver policy.  However; these are the exception rather than the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTLH8ER said:

True if she has an any driver policy.  However; these are the exception rather than the norm.

And nearly always exclude any driver under 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

And nearly always exclude any driver under 25.

I did not know that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM, CunningPlan said:

And nearly always exclude any driver under 25.

I'm amazed at the faith the insurance companies have in drivers over 50. Just had our fully comp renewal and again comes in at £200 and that's with broker commission. I reckon £150 online.

Wouldn't insure myself and the wife for that. Surely the risks must be greater  in spite of the decades of no claims.

I guess being bearish on your driving ability might be one reason for a clean record. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/05/2017 at 1:15 PM, wherebee said:

Well, if the third party did not take any pictures or exchange any details at the time, seems a long bow to me.  but unfortunately, this is one case where she will need to get her insurance firm involved to tell the other one to feck off.

She should say that she was not driving, and there was no damage to the other car.  Her car was moved to permit access to the exit and nudged the other car, that is all.

Reply to Aegis and point out that the other party of trying to commit insurance fraud, which they are.

I had something not quite the same happen with a company car once, I got a letter from the insurer saying i’d been in an accident and the other party wanted to claim. I pointed out that there hadn’t been any accident and that in fact as I had just changed jobs the car had been handed back 2 days before the claimed incident and was still in the company car park.

My guess is that this claimant has been involved in another incident and is trying to cover their tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   61 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.