House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Labour to consider replacing council tax with land value tax

Very good news. Why the Labour party isn't 20 points ahead in the polls rather than 20 behind is a complete mystery to me.

3 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Very good news. Why the Labour party isn't 20 points ahead in the polls rather than 20 behind is a complete mystery to me.

Because most people will not know what a LVT is and it will be spun by the Daily Mail as a tax on hardworking landowners :lol:.

6 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Probably something to do with the fact that the Shadow Chancellor is a communist, the Labour Party campaign is being run by an unrepentant Stalinist, and the Labour Party itself is run by an IRA apologist and useful idiot. 

The Labour commies need to face oblivion, and the Whigs need to ditch the SDP cancer and go back to being Whigs.

20 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Because Corbyn is a hypocrite who will not deliver a meaningful Brexit as most the Labour party are neoliberals & he will continue to the open door immigration policy that led to Brexit, and with vile individuals like the racist Diane Abbot would probably open it further to spite the white males she admits to despising.

I like many of his policies but would not vote for him.

1 hour ago, EUBanana said:

Probably something to do with the fact that the Shadow Chancellor is a communist, the Labour Party campaign is being run by an unrepentant Stalinist, and the Labour Party itself is run by an IRA apologist and useful idiot. 

The Labour commies need to face oblivion, and the Whigs need to ditch the SDP cancer and go back to being Whigs.

Bingo....as populist and trendy Labours manifesto is, behind that veil lies some pretty dark people I don't want anywhere near a position of power. 

You forgot to add that they eat babies and torture puppies. My suggestion is lay off the diet of Daily Mail and News night!

Do you read the Daily 'hand your brain over to the very people that are trying to f_ck you' Mail on a regular basis by any chance?

1 minute ago, Mapatasy said:

Do you read the Daily 'hand your brain over to the very people that are trying to f_ck you' Mail on a regular basis by any chance?

It's like Stockholm syndrome. 

2 hours ago, fru-gal said:

We pay the council tax on our rented house though... would they charge the hypothetical land tax to owner (on rented property)? I bloody hope so!

Announcing a review is pure dog whistle stuff. Basically they don't have the cojones to commit to land value tax as a policy so if elected they will spend 5 years thinking about it and doing nothing.

It was the same with Osborne announcing a review of merging income tax and national insurance, no matter what the review said he was never going to do anything. 

Announcing reviews is what politicians do when they know the current policy is bad but they don't have the guts to fix it.

Edited by Dorkins

1 minute ago, Dorkins said:

Announcing a review is pure dog whistle stuff. Basically they don't have the cojones to commit to land value tax as a policy so if elected they will spend 5 years thinking about it and doing nothing.

Yes people have short memories when it comes to remembering the destruction Labour caused, they are utter filth who are responsible for the property bubble and for it not being allowed to pop with QE/ZIRP ... its 100% down to that vile paedophile protecting party that so many have had the simple lives they hoped to live changed more often than not for the worse . ... But Corbyns a different kind of Labour they scream!

2 hours ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

Because Corbyn is a hypocrite who will not deliver a meaningful Brexit as most the Labour party are neoliberals & he will continue to the open door immigration policy that led to Brexit

Which is why they will get slaughtered at the polls. :)

Meanwhile in China millionaire property developer Philip Hammond fawns obsequiously over his Communist hosts, declares Britain a 'natural partner' to Beijing...

42 minutes ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

Yes people have short memories when it comes to remembering the destruction Labour caused, they are utter filth who are responsible for the property bubble and for it not being allowed to pop with QE/ZIRP ... its 100% down to that vile paedophile protecting party that so many have had the simple lives they hoped to live changed more often than not for the worse . ... But Corbyns a different kind of Labour they scream!

Imagine it. It would be 'multi-multiculturalism' on steroids under the glorious watch of Diana Abbot. 

The amusing part behind this is this is Corbyns manifesto, not the Labour party's. What the PLP want and what he wants are two very different things. 

As much as we'd all like a house price correction, I'm not voting for a pack of deluded, money grabbing, communist's with a hard on for anyone who comes from some foreign back water hell hole to get it.  

46 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Meanwhile in China millionaire property developer Philip Hammond fawns obsequiously over his Communist hosts, declares Britain a 'natural partner' to Beijing...

Very True. There is only one country in the world standing against China's ambitious plans. How did China become so powerful?

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/15/china-has-designs-to-spread-money-and-influence-across-the-world--india-isnt-having-it.html

The South Asian giant refused to send a delegation to a Chinese conference on the topic over the weekend, where Xi pledged $100 billion to finance projects. Saturday's statement also listed several concerns behind the venture, noting that any initiative promoting connectivity between countries must not create unsustainable debt burdens for communities. Indeed, the prospect of host countries struggling to pay back loans for infrastructure projects executed by Chinese companies has been one of the biggest criticisms of the program.
"New Delhi's objection is that OBOR is a unilateral, political and strategic initiative," said Dhruva Jaishankar, foreign policy fellow at Brookings India. "The concern is that unviable terms of loans will create debt burdens, which will then translate into political and military influence. ."

Debt addiction seems to be a global phenomenon.

Edited by Fairyland

Labour to consider replacing council tax with land value tax

"Consider" -- even less binding than a manifesto promise. Pathetic.

And then there's this:

C_8Xxp2UMAAV8eN.jpg

Edited by Eddie_George

Which traffic liught colour you vote for do you really expect any change.

As the Liberal Democrats displayed to their own detriment election pledges are not binding and once a government is in power they can do what the hell they like.

If you voite Labour you have no idea of what you are going to get as Corbyn will be deposed whether he wins or loses, even if he isn't as others have siad the true views of some of his coleeagues are truly scary. No I don't read the daily mail but I do take the what the MP's say in private when they think they aren't being watched or recorded  seriously.

Not that I will be voting for either one of them, there are only two leaders who appear that they can be trusted Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon.

27 minutes ago, Eddie_George said:

"Consider" -- even less binding than a manifesto promise. Pathetic.

And then there's this:

C_8Xxp2UMAAV8eN.jpg

Yes, glad I wasn't the only one to notice the bit you've highlighted in red. Straightforward bungs to plc shareholders, as Osborne did. The document contained scant detail about the "3 year tenancy" stuff, which I suspect will mean it is a similar sleight of hand to last time round. I will hopefully be probing policy wonks in this, but have had my hands full in the past month or so with the arrival of twins who have been in poor health recently and are currently in hospital, which limits my ability to post here or get answers elsewhere.

6 hours ago, zugzwang said:

immigration, immigration, immigration..

Labour will not commit to numbers, there is also a sneaky little addition to immigration outside the EU in their manifesto, there is currently an earnings requirement for immigration outside the EU, It was introduced by Teresa May I believe. Corbyn is talking about scrapping that.. That will increase immigration from outside the EU.. Also the below Refugee commitment.. 

"Refugees are not migrants. They have been forced from their homes, by war, famine or other disasters. Unlike the Tories, we will uphold the proud British tradition of honouring the spirit of international law and our moral obligations by taking our fair share of refugees"

Overpopulation does not increase our quality of life.. common sense tells you that..

8 minutes ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

Yes, glad I wasn't the only one to notice the bit you've highlighted in red. Straightforward bungs to plc shareholders, as Osborne did. The document contained scant detail about the "3 year tenancy" stuff, which I suspect will mean it is a similar sleight of hand to last time round. I will hopefully be probing policy wonks in this, but have had my hands full in the past month or so with the arrival of twins who have been in poor health recently and are currently in hospital, which limits my ability to post here or get answers elsewhere.

Yes, the language "make 3 year tenancies the norm" implies that minimum 3 year fixed periods will not be compulsory, otherwise they would have just said that.

Sorry to hear about your twins, hope things get better.

Edited by Dorkins