House Price Crash Forum
MattW

Tories pledges Right-To-Buy Plan to boost UK social housig

May Pledges Right-to-Buy Plan to Boost U.K. Social Housing

Sounds very good but I thought the Tories hated social housing? :unsure: Why should I believe them now? They have made little progress on delivering new council housing and HA homes since 2010.

“Too many ordinary working families are stuck on council waiting lists, facing unaffordable rents and struggling to save for that first deposit,” May said in the statement.

We're paying those unaffordable rents to the Tory Party's core voters. I'm one of those 'stuck on one of the council waiting lists' - or registers.

Tories don't seem to care much about ordinary people except when a General Election approaches. I think Labour are better placed to address the housing issue so I intend to vote Labour on June 8th. :)

Edited by MattW
spelling

“Too many ordinary working families are stuck on council waiting lists, facing unaffordable rents and struggling to save for that first deposit,” May said in the statement. “That’s why we will fix the broken housing market and support local authorities and housing associations to build a new generation of council homes right across the country.”

As always fine words twisting the true motive for the policy - like Help to Buy was in reality Help to Sell and more massive profits for the builders and property developers.

58 minutes ago, maybe said:

Fallon on telly this morning admitted there is no new funding for this pledge.  Literally an empty promise.

The money is 1.4bln
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/everything-thats-wrong-theresa-mays-10419008#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Being as councils need to spend circa £250K to build a small terrace these days that's about 1200 per year of the parliament.

Considering she was raised in a rent free house subsidised by the church, i'm surprised she is so against others having something vaguely similar.

They will promise ANYTHING to get elected, I`m still waiting for the party that has the balls to come out and say "Yes, vote for us and we will deliver a much needed HPC" I would vote for them. Lib Dems were promising to legalise cannabis or something, utter desperate nonsense. The only vote that rocks the Blue team red Team boat is UKIP (or SNP, but I`m getting tired of the constant banging on about independence TBH) Labour could be a good vote for instant HPC maybe? What are the chances of it being close, hung parliament, or Tories being tied to Labour to pass bills etc.?

Councils can only build more council housing to rent to local working residents (rent at approx 35% of gross monthly income is a good measure of affordability) only if they are again able and allowed to borrow to build.......the system has been designed to no longer allow them to do this, profits engineered for private only, not public.....then any profits, if there are profits, ups and downs looking long-term can be plowed back into the community pot whereby the local community can benefit, reinvested for the many not just the few......and I have never voted labour in my life.....;)

10 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

They will promise ANYTHING to get elected, I`m still waiting for the party that has the balls to come out and say "Yes, vote for us and we will deliver a much needed HPC" I would vote for them. Lib Dems were promising to legalise cannabis or something, utter desperate nonsense. The only vote that rocks the Blue team red Team boat is UKIP (or SNP, but I`m getting tired of the constant banging on about independence TBH) Labour could be a good vote for instant HPC maybe? What are the chances of it being close, hung parliament, or Tories being tied to Labour to pass bills etc.?

If the UKIP vote held up then a hung parliament is a possibility, but UKIP are now finished their leader is going around the country saying this much.

7 minutes ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

If the UKIP vote held up then a hung parliament is a possibility, but UKIP are now finished their leader is going around the country saying this much.

UKIP aren't standing in half the seats - including mine.

I will have to vote for my pro leave Labour MP to keep out the Lib Dems.

This scheme just seems to be right to buy in a different way - and what happens if there is a downturn.  Will the HAs be forced to sell these homes at knockdown rates to the private sector.

Just now, MARTINX9 said:

UKIP aren't standing in half the seats - including mine.

I will have to vote for my pro leave Labour MP to keep out the Lib Dems.

This scheme just seems to be right to buy in a different way - and what happens if there is a downturn.  Will the HAs be forced to sell these homes at knockdown rates to the private sector.

She's been aiming for the top job since last June so has had almost a year to come up with housing policy.

We've had a pathetic white paper that looks as if it was wtritten by building corporations. A budget where housing was not even mentioned.

And now his pathetic bit of spin which looks as if it was made up in the afternoon before the Sunday papers went to press is the best she can come up with.

Speaks volumes of whats to come imho.

3 minutes ago, winkie said:

UKIP only had one policy....and that now is coming to pass, so are now obsolete.;)

Assuming Mrs May delivers what she is implying on Brexit - a hard Brexit with less immigration. If she doesn't deliver there may well be a future market for an alternative.

15 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Assuming Mrs May delivers what she is implying on Brexit - a hard Brexit with less immigration. If she doesn't deliver there may well be a future market for an alternative.

....immigration from the rest of the world has always been bigger than immigration from Europe.....who said anything about less net immigration?.......;)

7 minutes ago, winkie said:

....immigration from the rest of the world has always been bigger than immigration from Europe.....who said anything about less net immigration?.......;)

No it hasn't - only in the last 50 years. The UK has seen more immigration since 1997 cumulatively than the entire period going back to 1066 before then.

It's a myth the UK has always been a nation of immigrants - until the 1950s there were very few. Even London was over 95 per cent white British or Irish right up until the late 1960s.

PS It's going to be a Tory manifesto commitment  - again.

Edited by MARTINX9

26 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

No it hasn't - only in the last 50 years. The UK has seen more immigration since 1997 cumulatively than the entire period going back to 1066 before then.

It's a myth the UK has always been a nation of immigrants - until the 1950s there were very few. Even London was over 95 per cent white British or Irish right up until the late 1960s.

Sorry, don't agree there have always been immigrants.......brexit for many people has nothing to do with immigrants, we have always had immigrants and is in our hands to control immigration always has been, nothing to do with Europe.....people have always followed the money, including free money......where once it was contribution based suddenly turned into need based.....thousands all over the world have needs, will always be those in need.;)

1 hour ago, dances with sheeple said:

The Conservatives as good as promised that in the run-up to the 2010 election....... But they lied!

5 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

50's / 60's / 70's / 80's / 90's Immigrants came from the commonwealth because the local inhabitants felt certain jobs were beneath their stature. 

Post European Court of Justice ruling in the Bosman ruling (1995) migrants from Europe flowed to the U.K. 

Now all those who sit up in arms claiming that all their benefits are being scooped up by migration... if it's freely available then that's the perks of the land. What ever the nostalgia which was present up to 2000 approx died when Blair & Brown entered the office. 

15 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

This, a million times over.  It's the lying I can't stand.

You think immigration is wonderful, fine, but don't try and rewrite history to fit.

Yes, there have always been immigrants coming to Britain, the same way that there have always been lions.

38 minutes ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

You think immigration is wonderful, fine, but don't try and rewrite history to fit.

Yes, there have always been immigrants coming to Britain, the same way that there have always been lions.

Are you saying that lions, known to get the women to do all the work, feast off others and laze about all day are somehow like immigrants.

Dats raycist.

17 hours ago, winkie said:

UKIP only had one policy....and that now is coming to pass, so are now obsolete.;)

Quite possibly they are. But whatever happens to UKIP, Nuttall will be OK. After spending the summer opening the batting for England he'll probably go back to his job leading the Mars mission at NASA. Or he could always reform The Beatles...

Edited by Shrink Proof

17 hours ago, winkie said:

Sorry, don't agree there have always been immigrants.......brexit for many people has nothing to do with immigrants, we have always had immigrants and is in our hands to control immigration always has been, nothing to do with Europe.....people have always followed the money, including free money......where once it was contribution based suddenly turned into need based.....thousands all over the world have needs, will always be those in need.;)

No one said there have never been immigrants, just the numbers have increased a lot twice once in 1950s and more so post 1997.  That is a fact,whether it is a good thing or not is an opinion.  Personally I don't mind providing a) we don't give them benefits when they get off the plane b') we build enough houses.

1 hour ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

Superb quote lol

23 hours ago, TulipsFromThreadneedle said:

She's been aiming for the top job since last June so has had almost a year to come up with housing policy.

We've had a pathetic white paper that looks as if it was wtritten by building corporations. A budget where housing was not even mentioned.

And now his pathetic bit of spin which looks as if it was made up in the afternoon before the Sunday papers went to press is the best she can come up with.

Speaks volumes of whats to come imho.

I thought that was progress, given how all the ones before were just prop after prop and promising more and more taxpayer's money to keep prices too high.