House Price Crash Forum

BBC R4 Money Box on Property tomorrow midday

HOLA441

Heads up for midday Sat 13th May

House price data released this week from two of the UK's biggest mortgage lenders point to lower prices for April, although still higher than a year ago. Estate agents from around the UK give their views and property analyst Kate Faulkner discusses what it might mean for buyers and sellers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08px3fc

Available on Iplayer Sat evening onwards.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Be aware of anyone who has a personal interest in property rents and prices to keep increasing over and above inflation, living costs, and interest rates......some have put most of their eggs in the land and property basket.;)

HOLA446
10 hours ago, nome said:

Kate (bubble, what bubble?) Faulkner.... ultimate property bull and housing market ramper.

Think I'll give this one a miss

Me too - she's insufferable.

I don't thing the world really needs the kind of 'balance' that the producer of 'the Buy-to-let Show' is going to bring.

HOLA447
21 hours ago, Wayward said:

Paul Lewis doesn't like to alarm his core audience...don't expect any predictions of falls in prices. Prices only go up and all is well in the world.

For nice middle aged public sector workers who are about retire on an unfunded pension, paid for by the current batch of young pople without a pension, buying a BTL to get second take on the youngsters money and then insisting the tax payer i..e young bail out the bank that lent them the BTL money when it goes tits up.

Stnuc.

Default on all unfunded public sector pensions/

Move the BBC to pay as you view model. They'd get 5p a week fro me on their current output.

HOLA448
On 12/05/2017 at 5:46 PM, juvenal said:

Heads up for midday Sat 13th May

House price data released this week from two of the UK's biggest mortgage lenders point to lower prices for April, although still higher than a year ago. Estate agents from around the UK give their views and property analyst Kate Faulkner discusses what it might mean for buyers and sellers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08px3fc

Available on Iplayer Sat evening onwards.

Heres a summary:

"Prices could fall, but they fell in NI and now they are going back up again, so you should just buy now after all its a long term investment and they always go up again eventually. Interest rates are low so you can afford it"

If this is the BBC's idea of balanced reporting we are FCUKed as a democracy

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Habeas Domus said:

Heres a summary:

"Prices could fall, but they fell in NI and now they are going back up again, so you should just buy now after all its a long term investment and they always go up again eventually. Interest rates are low so you can afford it"

....well the kind of people who work for the BBC, a service paid for by all are the kind of people who with a reasonably secure and regular work if good enough, would have a vested interest in property prices rising not falling......they would be looked on more favorably than most when securing any kind of mortgage debt.;)

HOLA4410
On 2017-5-13 at 7:17 AM, Lavalas said:

Me too - she's insufferable.

I don't thing the world really needs the kind of 'balance' that the producer of 'the Buy-to-let Show' is going to bring.

What a fascinating clip into the insights of the average British speculator. Quite telling how the Professional Financial Adviser, Sherrill George (the black lady), was dressed in Professional attire, spoke intelligently and articulately about the virtues of balance, diversification and liquidity ("what's liquidity?" asked the so-called "expert" host). Whereas the BTL disciple, with her pink hair and bangly ear-rings, looked more like a gypsy.

HOLA4411
19 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

Heres a summary:

They fell 60% in NI. 

60% ffs. There are literally tens of thousands of people who won't see prices recover in thelifetime of the mortgage. 30 plus years just to get back to the same price you bought at. 30 years of paying interest on a crazy bubble debt. An "investment" my hole.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
21 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

Heres a summary:

I have said this before but low interest rates do not help buyers (they help owners who never want to move up the chain). 

A) Low interest rates make it harder to save for a deposit

B') They mean you need a larger deposit

C) It means the chances repayments rise by a lot are higher and can be a lot harder to deal with.

D) It makes distressed sellers a lot less ready to sell.

I hope no one needs me to explain the maths behind this.

HOLA4414
On 2017-5-13 at 5:03 AM, nome said:

Kate (bubble, what bubble?) Faulkner.... ultimate property bull and housing market ramper.

Think I'll give this one a miss

In the YouTube clip Faulkner suggests that leveraged landlords are typical at 50% LTV when the purchase happens. That's sounds very dubious to me; most lenders' accounts, where they make the disclosures, show that the whole book is at 60% LTV. I'd be stunned if Faulkner is correct.

HOLA4415
12 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

I have said this before but low interest rates do not help buyers (they help owners who never want to move up the chain). 

A) Low interest rates make it harder to save for a deposit

B') They mean you need a larger deposit

C) It means the chances repayments rise by a lot are higher and can be a lot harder to deal with.

D) It makes distressed sellers a lot less ready to sell.

I hope no one needs me to explain the maths behind this.

It's human nature. If you can hop up the food chain, then you will and spend more on the trimmings. Same applies vice versa. 

• 1 month later...
HOLA4416

Was listening to Radio 4 Money box last night but in the last minute of the show Paul mentioned that in the next show they would be discussing something about buy-to-let, unfortunately the radio crackled just as he said this and I didn't hear what it was that he said. Can anyone enlighten me as to what he said they would be discussing in the next episode?

Thanks in advance

HOLA4417

Well spotted Crazypabs- they're  to discuss Buy-to-Let on the Wednesday show I think- could be worth a listen... or even an email snowstorm in to the show beforehand

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, Lavalas said:

Probably just have Jamie Fraser from 118/Tenant Tax on there for the third time running.

James has been getting his tenants on You and yours. One on the 21 November 2016 (James also appeared), another on 3 March 2017.

The November report was pretty solid (Henry Pryor bring a sense of reality to proceedings and some fairly sharp questions from Winifred Robinson).

The March report was a bag of shite.

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, Bland Unsight said:

James has been getting his tenants on You and yours. One on the 21 November 2016 (James also appeared), another on 3 March 2017.

The November report was pretty solid (Henry Pryor bring a sense of reality to proceedings and some fairly sharp questions from Winifred Robinson).

The March report was a bag of shite.

Yes, my mistake, thank you. He's the go to guy for You and Yours not Money Box. Funny really, as I believe this kind of campaigning would be a breach of his Stevenage Councillor Code of Conduct if not declared.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422