House Price Crash Forum

LandG - Build to Rent in Leeds

HOLA441

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/legal-general-plans-to-develop-up-to-250-build-to-rent-homes-in-leeds-1-8538473

So not buying 2 up/2 downs off LLs.

How have thought it.

So, to the list of tenants, council HMO inspectors, banks, BoE, Gidiot, HPC, LL can add life assurers.

Imagine 4-5 of these, plunked into most large towns/cities - Poof! reduction on demand of 2,000 rentals.

I await P118 post:

First hey came for student LLs. I did nothing ...

HOLA442
HOLA443
4 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

On Panorama they said that due to the benefit cap it was very difficult to rent out houses in Leeds (they didn't have any happy renters on saying how great it is from them now).  So either Legal General are making a big mistake or Panorama is talking rubbish.

Working people rent too, you know.

Place like these - central well maintained (Id guess) will be a boom for people leaving Uni and working for a few years.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
13 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Working people rent too, you know.

Place like these - central well maintained (Id guess) will be a boom for people leaving Uni and working for a few years.

An even bigger boon for bankers, landlords and construction companies.

HMO on steroids.

jebiga_paris_micro_apartment_31.jpg

HOLA447
HOLA448

I think it's brilliant. Pension companies don't need mega buck capital gainz - they need a good, solid dependable source of income. This means long tenancies and low overheads with well built, cheaply operated and easily maintained properties

Institutional build to rent will lead to the professionalisation of the private rental sector which is long overdue - it solves many issues simultaneously. It will not occupy existing supply but create new supply. It will raise standards. It will provide stability for tenants and a professional service. The additional supply will lower rents and push the amateur BTL overleveraged moron out of the market.

What's not to like?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 hours ago, anonlymouse said:

I think it's brilliant. Pension companies don't need mega buck capital gainz - they need a good, solid dependable source of income. This means long tenancies and low overheads with well built, cheaply operated and easily maintained properties

Institutional build to rent will lead to the professionalisation of the private rental sector which is long overdue - it solves many issues simultaneously. It will not occupy existing supply but create new supply. It will raise standards. It will provide stability for tenants and a professional service. The additional supply will lower rents and push the amateur BTL overleveraged moron out of the market.

What's not to like?

Tower blocks/high density living works when

a) You dont have a bent UK council buidling it via kickbacks (T Dan Smith etc).

b   ) Fill it with dysfunctional scratters.

Think Barbican.

HOLA4411
4 hours ago, spyguy said:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/legal-general-plans-to-develop-up-to-250-build-to-rent-homes-in-leeds-1-8538473

So not buying 2 up/2 downs off LLs.

How have thought it.

So, to the list of tenants, council HMO inspectors, banks, BoE, Gidiot, HPC, LL can add life assurers.

Imagine 4-5 of these, plunked into most large towns/cities - Poof! reduction on demand of 2,000 rentals.

I await P118 post:

First hey came for student LLs. I did nothing ...

Nor are these guys :) http://www.investegate.co.uk/prs-reit-plc--the-/rns/intention-to-float---fundraising-of-up-to--250m/201705040700121217E/

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There were big probs about lenders not wanting to lend to BTR.

Seeing as they are having conferences about it, I presume its not solved yet 

CREFC conference aims to break down build to rent lending barriers  

www.costar.co.uk/en/assets/news/2017/March/CREFC-conference-aims-to-break-down-build-to-rent-lending-barriers/

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
19 hours ago, anonlymouse said:

What's not to like?

This is a fantastic step in the right direction, a stable and professional service, and it pushes the amateur BTL guy out. In the coming 3-5 years if this gathers pace and several of these are put up in large cities it will really help push things in the right direction. This is all good stuff.

HOLA4417
39 minutes ago, Talking Monkey said:

This is a fantastic step in the right direction, a stable and professional service, and it pushes the amateur BTL guy out. In the coming 3-5 years if this gathers pace and several of these are put up in large cities it will really help push things in the right direction. This is all good stuff.

I agree...increased supply has to be good...increases sum of human happiness.  Policy is too often to increase sum of human misery.

HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

It seems the development has attracted some controversy for not including an "affordable homes" element on site:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/elitist-claim-as-no-affordable-housing-is-included-in-55m-leeds-riverside-scheme-1-8446626

‘Elitist’ claim as no affordable housing is included in £55m Leeds riverside scheme

Coun Tom Leadley (Morley North/Morley Borough Independents), told the city plans panel meeting: “You get the impression that it is something to do with social exclusion. They think they are going to get nightmare tenants, a 53-year-old meths drinker who claims DSS benefits and takes caravan holidays in Skegness who is not going to fit in with the bright young things that occupy the rest of the flats.”

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/elitist-claim-as-no-affordable-housing-is-included-in-55m-leeds-riverside-scheme-1-8446626

Sorry. But when you get private sector developments with a social element thats exactly who they get.

The council do not want the scum in their housing so flip them.

Local councils should fck off. They had their chance to sort stuff and failed.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
18 hours ago, zugzwang said:

The Japanese sometimes think of a staircase as a room. Their tradition of kaidan dansu, or step chests, seems to be a motif in the above too.

kaidan-dansu.jpg

Surely if you were pissed though that would result in chaos. It's hard enough navigating the stairs, let alone swerving your way around random pots placed on them.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
56 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Professional companies building and maintaining homes for their customers to rent has got to be better than a load of wide boys trying to make a fast buck whilst lording it over their tenants.

Or councils giving kickbacks to cintravtors then filling it with scum.

• 5 months later...
HOLA4423

Scottish rental income guarantee scheme to boost build- to- rent confidence, says expert...

Rental Income Guarantee - RIG...they are going to RIG the market.  More taxpayers money going to landlords.  This is Scotland but watch out for this coming to England and Wales.

See more info on link to Pinsents Masons...(law firm)...

https://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2017/october/scottish-rental-income-guarantee-scheme-to-boost-build--to--rent-confidence-says-expert/

Build to rent is not all bad but I have concerns about this approach.

HOLA4424

the landg stuff isnt cheap to rent, i should know i bought into their PRSR crud for the 5% promises - if you get that or not is something else. Look fairly exclusive from what i can see theyve done so far, cant see it getting better to be honest. Ill hold for a year and then probably chuck it in the bin if it doesnt deliver.

HOLA4425
On 12/05/2017 at 6:51 PM, spyguy said:

Or councils giving kickbacks to cintravtors then filling it with scum.

Totally off topic. But I was looking for where my grand dad lived in Leeds in the 1960's and found it between Headingley and Horsforth. The City has some fantastic art deco estates.

headingley.PNG