House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

BT to shed 4,000 jobs in new overhaul

1 hour ago, interestrateripoff said:

To pay for prem league football? 

Hopefully customers have told them to stick their price rises...which I guess are being used to pay for the football.

The EPL are 1 company collapse away from having to make some very harsh cuts

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

43 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Hopefully customers have told them to stick their price rises...which I guess are being used to pay for the football.

The EPL are 1 company collapse away from having to make some very harsh cuts

The Premier League madness has to end, the sooner the better.

BT and Sky who are major telecoms and television providers have been steadily jacking up prices across the board to pay for EPL live football rights, which many of their customers wouldn't choose to pay for - but are forced to regardless.

If I was one of the 4000 BT employees who will lose their job I'd be seething at seeing the sort of money they are throwing at the EPL for TV rights.

Out of interest....do people especially young people follow football like they did in the past, the cost to supporters is huge......what if fewer numbers of people over the next few years will be prepared to pay the high premium to follow a team, so pick something more affordable to follow.....just saying, the stats should be interesting.....who has cancelled their season ticket in recent years? who has decided not to pay to follow remotely? ........ interesting times. ;)

Ah Winkie, as a male non-football fan, all I can say is there is nothing rational about football fans (particularly Premier League ones). They will pay through the nose for their club, and lose weeks of their life per year following the team (almost exclusively made up of mercenaries with no connection to the town/city). I doubt very much they will switch. They don't see the connection between all the money they spend on the club, and the sky high wages of the players they occasionally complain about being a bit high. It is what it is, best to try and not understand it or influence it as someone who is not part of the premier league football fan club.

1 minute ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Ah Winkie, as a male non-football fan, all I can say is there is nothing rational about football fans (particularly Premier League ones). They will pay through the nose for their club, and lose weeks of their life per year following the team (almost exclusively made up of mercenaries with no connection to the town/city). I doubt very much they will switch. They don't see the connection between all the money they spend on the club, and the sky high wages of the players they occasionally complain about being a bit high. It is what it is, best to try and not understand it or influence it as someone who is not part of the premier league football fan club.

Great, not got a problem with those that support their team, long may they do so......what I am saying is where are the new supporters going to come from, the supporters of the future.....who you follow often runs in families, is there growing or falling young blood entering the football supporters market.......are kids as involved as they used to be when sport was the main form of entertainment and being part of a group think and action following/supporting a particular team part of society?;)

21 minutes ago, winkie said:

Out of interest....do people especially young people follow football like they did in the past, the cost to supporters is huge......what if fewer numbers of people over the next few years will be prepared to pay the high premium to follow a team, so pick something more affordable to follow.....just saying, the stats should be interesting.....who has cancelled their season ticket in recent years? who has decided not to pay to follow remotely? ........ interesting times. ;)

I cancelled my season ticket as could not see the point but that was in the 90s and I did not want to pay 10-15£ a ticket or so.

Now its 20-40£ a ticket and this is Norwich not Arsenal but nearly always full with a fan base that is amazing considering the size of the city.

Such an crazy business football you basically watch the same product if there is either no money or too much money granted the best teams have better players which may make a difference but in the championship the same lads would be playing for 5k a week who get 20k a week currently.

And then even if the clubs are flush with cash or poor they never have any money as it goes into player salaries immediately.

As you say one bankruptcy from a sky/bt sport and they will all be in the shit pronto.

And I wager now once it collapses England will win the world cup within 4 cycles as young english players will play for the top teams and the top english players will to to the other leagues etc etc

Edited by Fromage Frais

Formula one is rubbish now anyway. The engines sound silly (gone are the shrieking wails of the high revving naturally aspirated units - wonderful!), and the cars look bad.

1 hour ago, nnails said:

As a soon to be ex formula one fan I won't be paying sky 50 quid a month to watch I will go and find something else to watch

I gave up on formula 1 a while back when it was clear that < 1 driver died per season. A bit like life, the media, singers, it's all become too stage managed/clinical/cynical.

The funny bit about Sky is...people pay through the nose to watch adverts.

How stupid are these people ?

8 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I gave up on formula 1 a while back when it was clear that < 1 driver died per season. A bit like life, the media, singers, it's all become too stage managed/clinical/cynical.

True but you missed repeats out to

3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Funny thing about ads people can cut them out of their lives both consciously and unconsciously.....become immune from them......so far as to say, heard about it must have been indoctrinated to have heard it before, forced to watch/listen to it.....can't be beneficial, not heard of before names = better names......switch channels/ignore it, catch up on other correspondence, not that difficult to block out the ads completely.....switch to something else, be in control of oneself not subject to being controlled by another?..... ;)

7 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

Indeed. Football fans invested in "their" clubs:

Oh, and I'm a huge F1 fan (the only sport I watch though, except Olympics) and love the new 2017 wider cars with huge fat tyres. It's great and now that Bernie's been replaced they can work on other areas to improve the show without the knee-jerk reactions from the past. Personally, I much prefer a sport with 20 races and just 20 drivers than hundreds of football matches and players - that's a stats overload for me :-)

Adverts - haven't watched a live advert at home since 2001 pretty much . FF through them all. Live TV is an anathema. Means it's an unusal shock to see them in the cinema - I've been known to instinctively stretch out my hand before realising I don't have a remote in it to FF through the ads!

5 hours ago, winkie said:

Funny thing about ads people can cut them out of their lives both consciously and unconsciously.....become immune from them......so far as to say, heard about it must have been indoctrinated to have heard it before, forced to watch/listen to it.....can't be beneficial, not heard of before names = better names......switch channels/ignore it, catch up on other correspondence, not that difficult to block out the ads completely.....switch to something else, be in control of oneself not subject to being controlled by another?..... ;)

This is spot on and a rare pleasure to come across someone who understands. I'm genuinely baffled by some conversations at work. People talking about adverts more than the programmes! Something crass about Meerkats being some oh-so-clever homophone for "market"? Well-meaning innocent people have been indoctrinated into human marketing machines for some companies with these conversations, and they don't even know it. Sad. And they call me the odd one for "never having seen" advert X. I'm glad my brain isn't contaminated by it. 

8 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

The Premier League madness has to end, the sooner the better.

BT and Sky who are major telecoms and television providers have been steadily jacking up prices across the board to pay for EPL live football rights, which many of their customers wouldn't choose to pay for - but are forced to regardless.

If I was one of the 4000 BT employees who will lose their job I'd be seething at seeing the sort of money they are throwing at the EPL for TV rights.

Have you seen the BT Sport equivalent of Jeff Stellings show on a saturday afternoon.

There are about 10 ex players sat as pundits. Its truly mental.

Money flying everywhere.

45 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Indeed. Football fans invested in "their" clubs:

That's a great video, thanks for posting! 

13 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

That's a great video, thanks for posting! 

You're most welcome! Mitchell and Webb are great IMHO. Together and apart. Also recommend their appearances on RHLSTP ( https://youtu.be/e06CLqDjHX0 and https://youtu.be/16xLrzEuLoM ). If you only have time for one thing, skip to 45:21 in the Robert Webb one where he talks about his appearance in "Confetti" and how the director misled him into thinking his nudity would be pixelated. His carefully legally-safe opinion of her is delivered in true masterclass style.

I'm sure other companies have begun shedding employees. Unemployment rising, inflation rising, wages declining.... house purchases stagnant... that's not a pretty picture for the overall health of the economy.... 

Triple pension lock is now expensive, because of increased aging population or because inflation means governments have to pay out more... than they receive..

I wonder what BS will be dished out today :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

I suppose the question is what percentage of EPL TV subscriptions is made up of that type of fan and how many viewers simply like watching football on the television. The latter I suspect are more likely to eventually switch off if the price gets to high. There is also a bit of evidence to suggest that the TV fan base for sport is tied to an ageing generation who are not being replaced as in the past because today's young have other interests,  do not have the spare cash to waste on Premier League football and don't watch much TV period.  Certainly there are signs that TV audiences for all sports may be in decline 

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-11-25/tv-sport-loses-its-allure-for-younger-viewers

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/11/10/the-problem-sports-broadcasters-declining-viewing-figures-goes-beyond-just-live

Edited by stormymonday_2011

12 hours ago, winkie said:

Streaming. With better internet people can just stream matches in HD quality. More of the young gen do this.

Which has very severe implications for them and us; already ISPs block sites for "Copyright" but now they have been given instructions by Sky etc to block servers.

The Judge has said it's only allowed to do this for the duration of the game, but I sense government over reach especially in the future,

Lower leagues have seen better attendances but I fear the 3pm Sat blackout by the FA will be removed to allow 3pm kick-offs to be shown.

Also, BT are welcome rivals to SKY but please sort your Sports panellists. Robbie Savage is horrendous.

I can remember watching the boxing with my dad. I not seen boxing match in years since sky did pay per very.

And guess what I no longer care