House Price Crash Forum

Just dropping in after 10 years away...

Warwickshire Lad

HOLA441
40 minutes ago, Warwickshire Lad said:

So, OK - I'd be interested to see you make the argument that low interest rates and lack of supply have absolutely nothing to do with it.

You appear to mistake my purpose here. I've offered two points:

1. This thread belongs in the Anecdotals sub-forum because it's just about how you bought a house ten years ago and how that has worked out well for you. I have no basis upon which to wish you misfortune so that's dandy, but it's not of any general interest or broad significance.
  2. Given your earlier statement that you wished to visit violence on people who bought ten years ago and wanted to talk about how well that had worked out for them, I wanted to point out that for you to now do exactly the same thing was amusing (with you being the butt of the joke, obviously)

As to engaging with you regarding the effects of low rates and lack of supply on house prices, there are plenty of threads which belong here on the HP&TE sub-forum where that discussion crops up. I can't see why you have any interest in my thoughts on the matter, and I am genuinely puzzled by the fact that you think I might want to engage in an off-topic conversation on a thread that I think is in the wrong place with somebody who I feel is behaving badly and can't be gently teased into seeing their misconduct. That sounds to me like a "perfect storm" of reasons not to have the conversation you propose.

A "surge" of overused words and phrases formed a "perfect storm" of "post-9/11" cliches in 2007, according to a U.S. university's annual list of words and phrases that deserve to be banned.

Choosing from among 2,000 submissions, the public relations department at Michigan's Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie targeted 19 affronts to the English language in its well-known jab at the worlds of media, sports, advertising and politics.

The contributors gave first prize to the phrase "a perfect storm," saying it was numbingly applied to virtually any notable coincidence.

Source: Wordsmiths, avoid these words, Reuters, 1 January 2008

Edited by Pumpkin Muad'Dib

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 hours ago, ccc said:

If you think anyone on here believes you sat and read this forum for 11 years and didn't have even have an inkling to make a SINGLE POST - and then suddenly decided to join in 2016 and post almost constantly - you are rather naive.

Hmmm. I've been reading since 2004, and was only prompted to post for the first time very recently, so it's not impossible. In my case, the fact that I have a lot more to learn than to contribute, and the somewhat boisterous arguments over the years from well-informed people, were enough of a barrier to keep me from stepping into the debate. However, I don't think it's a good idea to dissuade lurkers (even long time lurkers) from joining, since there's always a need for fresh voices and perspectives; even uncomfortable ones.

I have to say I'm not really sure why futuroid has been suspended (I guess I don't understand his last post). Ad hominems, aren't pretty, don't contribute to the debate, and can sometimes be vitriolic enough to push people out of the conversation, but it's rare they lead to suspension on here. Again speaking personally, I'd take an accusation of bitterness as a pretty low punch though, because I've trodden that narrow line between bitterness and resignation (usually on the side of the latter) for a long time now.

HOLA443
HOLA444
14 minutes ago, Toast said:

Hmmm. I've been reading since 2004, and was only prompted to post for the first time very recently, so it's not impossible. In my case, the fact that I have a lot more to learn than to contribute, and the somewhat boisterous arguments over the years from well-informed people, were enough of a barrier to keep me from stepping into the debate. However, I don't think it's a good idea to dissuade lurkers (even long time lurkers) from joining, since there's always a need for fresh voices and perspectives; even uncomfortable ones.

I have to say I'm not really sure why futuroid has been suspended (I guess I don't understand his last post). Ad hominems, aren't pretty, don't contribute to the debate, and can sometimes be vitriolic enough to push people out of the conversation, but it's rare they lead to suspension on here. Again speaking personally, I'd take an accusation of bitterness as a pretty low punch though, because I've trodden that narrow line between bitterness and resignation (usually on the side of the latter) for a long time now.

Have a look at futuroids posting since they "Joined".

It's not a person who sits back on a chat forum and doesn't want to get their own opinion over. Im not even 99% sure of this. It's 100%

As for the suspension that's up to the mods. But yes I've heard worse said on here. 

HOLA445
HOLA446

Not much more that I'd like to say now except that I think it's a shame that there's been a few bad tempered responses to my original post.  I suspect that it might have something to do with it being perceived as being "positive" about the market, and well, that simply can't be tolerated because it's "off message".  In that kind of atmosphere, no-one will ever cut you slack.

Actually, I intended to post about both the negatives and positives from my point of view, and that's it.  All perspectives should be welcomed, newbies, lurkers, veterans and everyone in between, and preferably with good grace.

I'm now glad I stepped away when I did.  Thanks to the mods for moving the thread.

See you in another 10 years.

HOLA447
11 minutes ago, Warwickshire Lad said:

Not much more that I'd like to say now except that I think it's a shame that there's been a few bad tempered responses to my original post.  I suspect that it might have something to do with it being perceived as being "positive" about the market, and well, that simply can't be tolerated because it's "off message".  In that kind of atmosphere, no-one will ever cut you slack.

Actually, I intended to post about both the negatives and positives from my point of view, and that's it.  All perspectives should be welcomed, newbies, lurkers, veterans and everyone in between, and preferably with good grace.

I'm now glad I stepped away when I did.  Thanks to the mods for moving the thread.

See you in another 10 years.

No, you didn't give perspectives, you gave biases. There's none so blind as those that can't see.

HOLA448
5 hours ago, ccc said:

I knew this would be your response. I didn't put in my post as i was interested if you would go to form - and you did.

If you think anyone on here believes you sat and read this forum for 11 years and didn't have even have an inkling to make a SINGLE POST - and then suddenly decided to join in 2016 and post almost constantly - you are rather naive.

I wonder which one you are. A few possibilities.

If he hadn't been reading for ten years he must have gone through a lot of old threads to know names like casual observer and cgnao.

HOLA449
32 minutes ago, Warwickshire Lad said:

Not much more that I'd like to say now except that I think it's a shame that there's been a few bad tempered responses to my original post. 

I just re-read the thread and I cannot see a single post addressed to you or directly responding to your OP that comes across as "bad tempered".

Thanks for dropping in. See you in 2027.

HOLA4410
33 minutes ago, Pumpkin Muad'Dib said:

I just re-read the thread and I cannot see a single post addressed to you or directly responding to your OP that comes across as "bad tempered".

This is why deleted posts should be marked in some way like [deleted by mods]
rather than just completely "disappeared" leaving a false trail in the conversation.

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, Habeas Domus said:

This is why deleted posts should be marked in some way like [deleted by mods]
rather than just completely "disappeared" leaving a false trail in the conversation.

There aren't any deleted posts here.

The posts that EmmaRoid addressed to Si1 that led to the mods taking action are still showing.

Basically this Warwickshire Lad chap starts a totally banal thread in the wrong place. He is mostly just ignored and then he goes off in a huff leaving comments about how the forum is a terrible place where no dissent is allowed. The whole thing is totally bizarre.

HOLA4412
3 hours ago, Pumpkin Muad'Dib said:

The posts that EmmaRoid addressed to Si1 that led to the mods taking action are still showing.

Basically this Warwickshire Lad chap starts a totally banal thread in the wrong place. He is mostly just ignored and then he goes off in a huff leaving comments about how the forum is a terrible place where no dissent is allowed. The whole thing is totally bizarre.

When you challenge faith with an attempt at a logical (if assertive and not necessarily pleasant) argument, trying to unpick their major points, then it is common to be charged with heresy/aggression. This is one of the red flags that reminds me it's a sentiment driven bubble.

HOLA4413
4 hours ago, Pumpkin Muad'Dib said:

I can only see posts by Futuroid, nothing by EmmaRoid is that who you meant?

None of them look like anything that would be bannable, which is why I suspect there was something else thats since been silently deleted.

HOLA4414
50 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

I can only see posts by Futuroid, nothing by EmmaRoid is that who you meant?

None of them look like anything that would be bannable, which is why I suspect there was something else thats since been silently deleted.

Haemorrhoid. It's a pun. The King of Grapes* didn't interact with the OP

* @rse grapes

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, choochoo said:

Love this thread, Mr Reliable Bruce Banner never misses a chance to troll anyone who's bought a house. 10 years have passed and he's still there.

Yes, BB is still here. Still seeing no value in UK houses and still aware that there are other places to put capital. There are some other people who are no longer here. One of the reasons that they are no longer here is that their nutty views on the world were turning OT into a sewer. Some of us - and I realise this might strike you as odd - are really here to talk about house prices and the economy.

You do realise that people like you, who never post about house prices and post weird stuff like this come across as inexplicable to those of us who joined a forum called housepricecrash in order to discuss house prices?

Anyway, congratulations for pulling on your Big Boy pants and posting on a thread about house prices that was formerly on the HP&TE forum but is now relegated to Anecdotals. I realise that you're probably just getting started and, looking forwards, I anticipate great things (from an account dating back to 2014 but claiming to have been following BB's posting for ten years... :rolleyes:)

You're not the first relatively recent account on this thread with opinions about the distant past of the HPC forum. An odd coincidence? Then again this thread did look like a troll bait thread at the get go.

HOLA4417
14 hours ago, Toast said:

Of course you were... reading since 2004.

Fact is your account is 2016, and some of the 'new' perspectives from you since joining in 2016........ :rolleyes:

Pity The Homeowner (if there is ever any HPC) - (How can they be expected to rent so took 2nd worse choice of buying) & Plucky BTLers standing up to All-Authority-Is Evil... big cause against authority you have chosen to have BTLers for on one thread. 

It's not about dissuading lurkers for joining.  I don't know why you've twisted it that way (although it's troll-ish for me) and making out this is some sort of echo chamber and no alternative views countenanced.   Many of us always welcome more HPCers/joiners. (I know many HPCers/renters but simply just to busy working to be active on forum atm).

Yet suddenly you are all about the view about how to welcome alternative uncomfortable new perspectives, as if forum hasn't always been open to that.  

How could you miss that out of 12-13 years a reader?  Boisterous discussion put you off registering as a member for 12 years? 

Well you've not hung back with your views since joining in 2016 have you?

Forum has always been open to all different market perspectives (imo).  (Within limits, for Moderators to decide upon.... ie EAs and others attempting to undermine posters and forum, as well as posts from newish members that are unacceptable, eg, perhaps posts that are very rude and very dismissive against long-standing HPC members... especially from my POV when they appear to come from HPI+ happy side of thing newish members who have made most of their posts to-date in non-house-price topics...and also claiming to have been reading HPC since 2004 but only recently joined.).

If you really only read HPC for 12 years before deciding to join in 2016...  you would know (forum has always been open to everyone, imo... but simply with rules for us all to abide by).  

Just doesn't need you to rock up, claiming yourself one of the earliest readers of HPC since 2004, and take position how be open to new perspectives.. even uncomfortable ones... etc.. for it always has been.   Not any echo-chamber.  Hence I don't believe you've been reading since 2004.  And I am not going to believe you about it.  Give me more 'Pity the Homeowner' (for couldn't be expected to put up with renting).

As I've stated plainly before, for me, this is the place where destructive idiocy "you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar", "it's always the right time to buy" is called out as nonsense. I am just past forty, the generation coming up behind me are getting crucified by this nonsense and out in the world nobody is calling it nonsense. On these boards, I get to call it nonsense and fight like an animal, armed with evidence and reason, to demonstrate it is nonsense.

[...]Do we propose a social space where all voices are honoured equally, in defiance of their mastery of reason and evidence?

[...]What about shared perspectives? Common values? Common purpose? 

~ The forum is backstage to a website called housepricecrash, but the inference that it is a forum for people who believe that house prices will crash or should crash is unwarranted. The forum will be what it will be and that will be determined by who turns up, what they argue and how they argue it. There are some notable posters who do not believe that house prices are going to crash, there are some notable posters who almost never post about house prices.  [...] On cults and everybody agreeing. Do you even read hpc?

~ Let's get down to brass tacks. When investors with an exposure to property, particularly witless leveraged investors, get nervous because of the straws in the wind, these boards are very, very heavily trolled.     At these times it becomes necessary at times to assess the situation as best you can then shoot first and ask questions later. This makes it a very rough place, at those times, to make your way from newbie to a member of the community who gets the benefit of the doubt from most posters, most of the time. None of this is my doing. This is how things are.   There are no children here, and it is a war. There are going to be friendly-fire incidents. If you've been wronged and you come with clean hands, man up. Welcome to arguing on the internet about UK property. If you'd been led to believe it was kisses and cuddles and then baked beans for tea, you've been misled.

~ You then tip up on a thread where a bunch of people are having fun because Frizzers has MoneyWeek to publish some of our speculationsand you post some very superior "I know better" speculative horseshit.   [..]you're still offering your special brand of completely unwarranted superiority again on the same f**king thread months later.

I think you ought to be honest with yourself. You think that some of us are excitable and you assess that we misread the situation because we presumably lack your balance and clarity, by the same token I could strike a voice of reason superior tone and state that you are not excitable because you are in denial.  [..]If you disagree, disagree on the merit of the facts. If you find yourself misinterpreted, reflect on why that happened.

~ There are many different views and opinions expressed here, and many posters actually do go to the trouble of providing evidence rather than just talking about it. I don't think that the landlord fora make much effort to think outside of their very narrow focus, even when the bigger picture directly affects them - I've yet to see any of them pick up on the possible revisions to the Standardised Approach for credit risk coming out of Basel, for instance - and so they seem to be much more inclined towards groupthink IMO.

~ Voice of reason morons working off prejudice need to get their eyes on the horizon. All things pass.

~  I've been very upfront about the fact that I see the boards as a social space. I'm not looking for confirmation - I am looking for connection and conversation - and conflictHow can I learn by talking?

~ this forum is one of a vanishingly small number of places where a counter-narrative to the presently all encompassing bubble denying idiocy is entertained. Look at the way the BTL tw@ts rocked up on the Moneyweek thread to patronise Miles Shitside, (and the way that a poster then turned up here to characterise Miles Shitside as a ranting loon). We are very, very heavily trolled. [..]Tear down the argument with evidence and argument. That's how we learn, together.

~ Words communicate stories.  Lies are lies, truths are truths.  Hope is never dangerous. To live guided by expectations informed by what you want to be true, blind to the facts on the ground, is to be a stupid fool. Being a stupid fool is dangerous.   You want me to worry about the danger of hoping that things have changed. Things have changed.   [...]gathering about yourself the garb of the voice of reason

~  Is it somehow okay for you to infer motivation and underlying meaning from the text but totally unacceptable for others to do so?   Or is it perhaps possible that the written word is not a perfect medium of communication and some meaning must be inferred and corrected through discussion?   If you keep on driving down a road in which you call people up on their posting behaviour you are inevitably going to attract some analysis of your own.

~ Hence, thanks for the feedback guys, but if all that you have is that Bluke Shittallker is annoying and you'd prefer a civilized gentlemen's club where we speculate on house prices as if none of it mattered, that ship sailed.    Shoot down the arguments with evidence and reason.    If all you have is the idea that you'd rather I wasn't so chippy, you are in for a long wait for a train that isn't coming.

~ This is an essential difference between HPC and the BTL fora. The BTL fora are places where you go in order to work out how best to do something that is supposedly a one-way bet. HPC is many different things and different things to different posters, but part of what takes place here is a sustained conversation about what the f**k is going on, and that allows us to entertain the possibility that late entrant BTL is a money pit - a mincer. The BTL gang cannot see that. They are people who know you can't go wrong with property.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4418
22 hours ago, Futuroid said:

:lol:

You sound really bitter. Never mind, once the Brexit unicorns arrive you will be able to afford a house*.

* = Unless the government intervenes again to keep the economy strong and stable... 

That sort of thinking is why remain lost.  I voted leave but if the pro EU politicians had listened to people who didn't share their unconditional love of the EU I might have voted remain.

HOLA4419
On Sun May 07 2017 at 1:45 AM, Warwickshire Lad said:

Noisy neighbours and other factors are now making me consider a move, however.  New Builds are popping up everywhere around town, and they are nice, but expensive compared to other houses.

The potential for crap neighbours is why I intend to buy once, in a village with crap public transport where it is highly unlikely a HMO, student let or scumlord housing scumbags for the council will crop up next door. 

I'm a live and let live laid back sort of person who isn't easily annoyed... I have, however, had a couple of run ins with  neighbours in the past which ended in my favour shall we say, but I am heading for 40 and desire a quieter life! The advantage of renting is that I can simply move if the neighbours piss me off.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence with new builds - they are usually awful in my view. I went to a 2 year old development of £175-350k properties that a friend moved into recently and thought it was dreadful. The still incompletely surfaced road was too narrow and utterly insufficient drive space, so cars parked up the pavement both sides, due to the small front gardens and 3 story builds it felt very crammed and cramped. Visit a few completed ones where every house is occupied and you'll see what I mean.

HOLA4420
12 hours ago, Pumpkin Muad'Dib said:

Yes, BB is still here. Still seeing no value in UK houses and still aware that there are other places to put capital. There are some other people who are no longer here. One of the reasons that they are no longer here is that their nutty views on the world were turning OT into a sewer. Some of us - and I realise this might strike you as odd - are really here to talk about house prices and the economy.

You do realise that people like you, who never post about house prices and post weird stuff like this come across as inexplicable to those of us who joined a forum called housepricecrash in order to discuss house prices?

Anyway, congratulations for pulling on your Big Boy pants and posting on a thread about house prices that was formerly on the HP&TE forum but is now relegated to Anecdotals. I realise that you're probably just getting started and, looking forwards, I anticipate great things (from an account dating back to 2014 but claiming to have been following BB's posting for ten years... :rolleyes:)

You're not the first relatively recent account on this thread with opinions about the distant past of the HPC forum. An odd coincidence? Then again this thread did look like a troll bait thread at the get go.

I'll be honest, which will probably see me banned again. This is my third account. I can tell you my previous usernames if you wish, I can probably link you to a thread or two I started

I still visit HPC, but in all honesty reading the main forum has been nothing but bad for me.

I shouldn't have taken a 5 year fixed rate mortgage in 2008, I shouldn't have sold my house before going abroad to work for a couple of years in 2011.

Despite the bad advice, I ended up with the house I wanted and will continue to enjoy it.

Edited by choochoo

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422
  • 6 years later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424