House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Google searches using IP location

Does anyone know how to stop Google Search using my IP location?

I am in France and, even though I've set google.co.uk as my default search engine, if I search for an item and enter "shopping" it shows my current location and gives prices in Euros. The only way I can stop it from doing this is to use a UK proxy IP.

I've turned off location tracking everywhere, including Chrome, but Google search insists on using my IP address.

I use a UK proxy IP in Spain.  Though I did buy something online cheaper in € than in £ and got away with it...and the free postage to UK.

46 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Use a VPN. You may find it useful for other purposes like being allowed to actually watch certain videos on Youtube...

Is that different to a proxy IP?

Actually I just checked and the "proxy IP" that I use says it's a VPN. Costs me about a fiver a month and I get all the UK TV channels and videos.

33 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

you need 'No Country Redirect'

https://www.google.com/ncr = google.com
https://www.google.co.uk/ncr = google.co.uk

I still think of it as National Cash Register though

I tried that and it still gave results in Euros and showed my location to be the same as the IP addressed used whilst showing "google.co.uk". Google are determined to give you the "correct" search results whether you want it or not.

Google search will use your last "known" location... so even after turning all the settings off, will think you are in Europe... 

Try incognito mode on your browser

31 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Google search will use your last "known" location... so even after turning all the settings off, will think you are in Europe... 

Try incognito mode on your browser

It's confused now. I'm using a French IP and getting UK results in normal Chrome and French results on incognito. 

Why can't Google just give an override option to select desired region.

It's not just Google either it's lots of other sites. A lost cause really unless you use a tunnel to the country you really want to look as if you are in.

5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

It's not just Google either it's lots of other sites. A lost cause really unless you use a tunnel to the country you really want to look as if you are in.

VPN = tunnel AFAICT

16 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Is that different to a proxy IP?

Actually I just checked and the "proxy IP" that I use says it's a VPN. Costs me about a fiver a month and I get all the UK TV channels and videos.

I think so. The VPN means it's encrypted so your ISP won't be able to see what you are doing. I used to know this stuff years back but it all fell out my head

Does this help?

bluequoll said:

There are a number of issues raised here.
  • You can't stop any website from seeing your IP address and using it to provide location based content. It's not just Google that does this — many multinational organizations do the same thing, redirecting to local versions of their websites.
  • The default URL that Google Chrome uses when searching from the address bar (omnibar) might not be the same as the URL you use to access the Google homepage. If you haven't set a specific search engine, the Chrome default will be to redirect to the local Google website. You should be able to force a google.com search by setting Chrome's default search engine to https://www.google.com/search?q=%s .
  • Google will provide localized results for particular types of search where it considers that location is likely to be relevant. When setting your location you can specify an area as small as your city or as broad as your country.
  • When searching from the Google homepage, you can bookmark a URL which minimizes localization/personalization. Searching from https://www.google.com/ncr?pws=0 will prevent the redirect to the local homepage ( /ncr ) and will turn off personalization ( ?pws=0 ).

The changing focus of Google from being a conventional search engine to becoming a "knowledge engine" means that Google aims to provide you with the most relevant information related to your search query. Almost by definition, this means that Google wants to know who you are, where you are, what you like, etc. Those of us who are looking for traditional unbiassed "search results" are likely to become increasingly frustrated!

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/auzZp3VP87c