House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Intel Core M - No Fan..... Heaven.

I've been using a laptop with an ultra low power Intel Core m3 CPU for the last few months, what a revelation, no fan, no noise. runs cool and adequately fast for normal browsing, a bit faster than my three year old i5 that ran hot and noisy.

I love things that work as they should.

Nice.

Should imagine it makes dust less of an issue.

Not up to speed with latest computer tech.

Well apart from running SSD in my two older HP desktop computers... and much of that SSD info I picked up from you @Bruce Banner on threads of a few years ago.   After so many good reports about about super fast booting speed and general quickness, I had to try SSD, and what a leap it was.   Great upgrade.   

Still fans here though.  In fact my CPU cooling fan broke apart when I removed the heatsink in order to wash out some thick dust under a bathroom tap.  Couldn't be bothered buying (and waiting) for a new one at £10-£15 so used a little bit of glue, then heat tape to give it proper strength, and put it all back together.   Dust.  I don't like dust in computers. 

1 hour ago, Venger said:

Nice.

Should imagine it makes dust less of an issue.

Not up to speed with latest computer tech.

Well apart from running SSD in my two older HP desktop computers... and much of that SSD info I picked up from you @Bruce Banner on threads of a few years ago.   After so many good reports about about super fast booting speed and general quickness, I had to try SSD, and what a leap it was.   Great upgrade.   

Still fans here though.  In fact my CPU cooling fan broke apart when I removed the heatsink in order to wash out some thick dust under a bathroom tap.  Couldn't be bothered buying (and waiting) for a new one at £10-£15 so used a little bit of glue, then heat tape to give it proper strength, and put it all back together.   Dust.  I don't like dust in computers. 

No dust either as there are no vents. The case is aluminium and what heat there is dissipates through the case. 

Asus UX305CA with 8Gb RAM and SSD upgraded to 500GB.

15 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

No dust either as there are no vents. The case is aluminium and what heat there is dissipates through the case. 

Asus UX305CA with 8Gb RAM and SSD upgraded to 500GB.

Neat.

Just read a review and watched a video.   Aerospace-grade aluminium alloy.  

Cutting things short, this is a very classy laptop.

Enjoy it. :) I can admire, like nice stuff, and it's good to see improvements, but have to prioritise.  

My old computers good enough for now and it will be while before I upgrade to non-fans super-quiet fully enclosed (non dust magnet) computers.  Will just have to clean the dust out every so often and put up with the fan hum.   Main plan is to buy 2 new SSDs just before Windows 7 support runs out.  Keep Win7 for Word etc (disconnecting wifi and doing a Macrium Reflect final backup) and install a new simple O/S for the new SSDs.  Not Windows 10 for I couldn't get used to it.

I hated the old noisy laptops also. The i7 Dell Latitude E7470 I have now is the best I ever owned. It has a fan but you wouldn't know it, since it's pretty much silent when it's running (which it usually isn't). Things have moved on.