House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Smart Watch / Fitness tracker - what best to replace a Microsoft Band 2

So, having had my 2nd Microsoft Band2 replacement and now having finally got to the end of the warranty, the heart rate monitor on my Microsoft Band 2 has decided to die.

The band was good as both a fitness tracker (multi-sports) and has great software integration for mail, text, calendar etc, but Microsoft have killed off the product line.

So what would you replace it with?

My current options:

1) Apple Watch 2 - good function including email, text and calendar, but not sure on the battery life (18 hours suggested though anecdotally longer)

2) Garmin Fenix 5X - huge beast, but includes maps, emails, text etc and definitely better for multi-sports. Awesome battery

3) Polar - definitely more pure sports and better price.

4) Samsung Gear or Gear-fit.  Seems to have good function, and the choice of a classic style watch or a sport watch (which on paper seems closest to the band).

Pricewise, I'm not too fussed, would spend anything from £250-750, so not attracted by the ludicrous top end Apple stuff, but want something durable that won't scratch.

My current preferences / leaning is either the Fenix 5X  or the Gear Fit - which kind of tells me i want the sporty options. The Fenix 5X with Sapphire Glass and Steel band is a much as the Apple Watch with a Steel Case/Sapphire, so fairly even there.

The Motorola 360 with a decent face looks pretty good (if you are interested in looks), but I think they have stopped selling it, which gives you an idea that smart watches didn't take off in the way they were supposed to.

Someone has demonstrated the Garmin to me and it seems to have a lot of sporty apps, plus the thing that puts me off a smart watch is frequently charging the battery.

10 hours ago, reddog said:

The Motorola 360 with a decent face looks pretty good (if you are interested in looks), but I think they have stopped selling it, which gives you an idea that smart watches didn't take off in the way they were supposed to.

Someone has demonstrated the Garmin to me and it seems to have a lot of sporty apps, plus the thing that puts me off a smart watch is frequently charging the battery.

And in terms of sports watches the Garmin Fenix probably has the best battery life, but it does feel more for sport than office integration.

The MS Band I have to say had great software features and an OK battery, they just did a poor job on the hardware resilience (mine has now died BTW).

I'd get the Apple Watch 2 if I though the batteries could last for 2 hours of activity tracking, but they sadly won't.

So still struggling!

On 5/3/2017 at 10:47 PM, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Pricewise, I'm not too fussed, would spend anything from £250-750, so not attracted by the ludicrous top end Apple stuff, but want something durable that won't scratch.

So £750 isn't ludicrously expensive?

What's it gonna do for you? Run £5k for you?

What did people ever do before these things were marketed?

Those who don't want to exercise are unlikely to gain much by way of motivation.

Those who want to are likely to become exercise addicts.

Are you even aware whether what you are measuring is doing you good, or is that not the point?

Have you ever checked you BP at rest and during exercise?

Better still, if you really want to spend money, why not comet assay yourself?

At the other end of the scale there are the miband s, don't know the figures but wouldn't be surprised that it's globally the biggest selling of them.  "Premium" Chinese made for the masses.

I got the original miband over a year ago for about £12 on eBay.  Worked fine up until losing a month ago.  Small issue with pairing the Bluetooth 6 months in but easily fixed after googling.   So anyway I replaced with the newer miband with oled screen and heart monitor for princely sum of £20.  Battery lasts in the region of 2 weeks or so ( others report 1 month).  Did have issues pairing but since experiencing this before it honestly took 5 minutes to resolve.  

More a novelty thing for me, got the original for a trip to new York to see my steps but like enough that still using.

15 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

I'll be in this position soon so let us know which one you go for.  I'd also be interested to find out how easy it is to migrate workout data from Microsoft.

The migration aspect is also a good point. I do have MS Health Vault and also Runkeeper which auto sync. So I am guessing the new device just needs to work with one of those.

On the device side I am leaning toward the Garmin Fenix 5, but I need to see one in the flesh before I buy as in particular whilst the XL version sounds good, I think it will be very chunky, so I want to compare with the smaller models in the range.  I'm in the US right, so I'll do a trawl of duty free before flying back. I haven't yet found a UK retailer that holds a decent selection of devices yet. 

8 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

On the device side I am leaning toward the Garmin Fenix 5, but I need to see one in the flesh before I buy as in particular whilst the XL version sounds good, I think it will be very chunky, so I want to compare with the smaller models in the range.  I'm in the US right, so I'll do a trawl of duty free before flying back. I haven't yet found a UK retailer that holds a decent selection of devices yet.

Unbelievable!  Since posting my message up-thread my Band, which had been working perfectly, suddenly died and refuses to charge! 

1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

Unbelievable!  Since posting my message up-thread my Band, which had been working perfectly, suddenly died and refuses to charge! 

It's almost like it is a deliberate feature, mine failed pretty much as the warranty was up, though it was my third replacement- so probably just coincidence given the high failure rate.

RIP Microsoft Band.

15 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The migration aspect is also a good point. I do have MS Health Vault and also Runkeeper which auto sync. So I am guessing the new device just needs to work with one of those.

Run 4 it have a decent range in stores. Not huge but enough to get an idea.

9 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Great - I will see if I can locate my nearest branch.

If you are looking for reviews I would recommend Wiggle. There are loads on there for pretty much every type of this you can find. I find the folk buying from there seem pretty knowledgeable too. I've used it to choose loads of things before and done really well so far. You will need to wade through maybe 30+ for each one. But well worth the effort IMO. Especially if you are spunking a ££ on it !

Just little things. When I was getting a wetsuit I found the one I wanted and then looked at reviews. There were a fair number of people saying the same thing. Use the sizing chart BUT then buy the next size up. So many folk got the one that was 'perfect' for them and then had to exchange as it was just a bit to small. I did exactly as they recommended and it fitted like a glove. All these wee hints on the review comments can be so handy.