Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Will a greedy landlord turn the house next door to you into an overcrowded slum? It's happening more and more - even in the nicest neighbourhoods

Recommended Posts

 

 

Will a greedy landlord turn the house next door to you into an overcrowded slum?

 

---

 

Is the Pope Catholic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad this is getting the attention that it deserves. This is my second biggest fear after the insane prices/debt. I've seen this in so many London neighbourhoods, some really beautiful and safe streets with lovely properties turned into complete dumps with their HMO and maisonette conversions. Nasty. 

Small addendum to rant:

Still speaking to lots of people wedded to the yo-yo theory, prices may drop but they'll shoot up again immediately with no recognition of the fact that the interest rate was slaughtered to a historic low in order to pull that off. How do you avoid slapping these people? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slap myself for clicking on the daily wail link and ending up clicking on the right side to look at tits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Slap myself for clicking on the daily wail link and ending up clicking on the right side to look at tits. 

They got you ay?

 

There is no escaping the sidebar of shame.. ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Slap myself for clicking on the daily wail link and ending up clicking on the right side to look at tits. 

I wasn't going to bother reading the link, but I will now... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ex LA semi detached 3 bed property near me was completely maxed out . Side extension, rear extension (looks like a full 6 metres) and loft conversion .

Even  brick built shed where workers lived when work was going on . Looks awful.  Now hmo .

Original house was a 1920s homes for heroes type so generous garden and decent room sizes. Now just a load of tiny rooms.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been going on for last 10 or 15 years.....nothing new, it's called overcrowding, short term tenants, sub letting, people with little stake in the community.....homes are not being sold, they are being extended, cut up done up cheaply and turned into bedsits, gardens full of weeds......and it's called progress.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The highest-rated comment is Daily Mail gold!

Left Behind, Essexland

"There's a certain community behind all this"

The Truth, London

"The community of Buy-to-let landlords"

Rent Collector, Cyprus

"The Truth. Should we all go away and leave you living on the streets"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happening next door to me as we speak; Perfectly good 3 bedroom Victorian Terrace house which has been getting completely gutted/renovated including carving the property up into 4 separate bedsits including a downstairs front "Living Room" bedroom and a loft conversion to maximise the profit.

This has been going on for almost 18 months now as the guy who took out a load of debt to lay claim to the property is doing most of the work himself, (he's completely unqualified) except for the occasional foreigner, obviously just to keep the costs down.  He's from the South, doesn't work, never has, already has a house nearby which he bought outright and rents out rooms in that property, (fair enough, it's his) and his initial intention was for him to move into next door but due to all of the HMO regulations he's opting to stay where he is and rent out all 4 rooms next door.  First he said it'd only be to Post-Grad Students, although I'm sure once he realises that he won't be able to rent to those he'll start looking further down the list to Undergraduates, if he cant' get any of them in he'll probably end up renting it out to whomever he can get in there, (he's not going to leave it empty is he?).  Admittedly he seems like a nice enough Guy, but then again people usually are nice to you when they want something from you and have just decimated the value of your property and possibly peace due to what he's doing next door, (would you want to live next to 4 Students?  Me neither but I now don't have a choice).

As much as I wouldn't wish anyone any harm specifically, I hope that no-one moves in and that he ends up getting it repossessed, (there are 3 other Student properties on our street alone).  I just don't see how it's possible for someone to not have to make a financial contribution to something and then expect 4 strangers to pay his debt off for him.  I mean, if he bought it outright he should be able to do whatever he wants with it, but this has cost him exactly nothing except borrowed money and his time.  It's madness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well with such restrictions on supply of housing and with high levels of immigration what do folks expect!!  totally foreseeable ...given that this was a guaranteed outcome of policy it must have been intentional.  Makes perfect sense given that it allows the rich and powerful to use their control of land and property to extract more from the poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Orsino said:

The highest-rated comment is Daily Mail gold!

Left Behind, Essexland

"There's a certain community behind all this"

The Truth, London

"The community of Buy-to-let landlords"

Rent Collector, Cyprus

"The Truth. Should we all go away and leave you living on the streets"

It sounds like they're planning on a scorched earth policy and blow up their BTL slums, rather than hand the keys back to the bank!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mspL4 said:

Happening next door to me as we speak; Perfectly good 3 bedroom Victorian Terrace house which has been getting completely gutted/renovated including carving the property up into 4 separate bedsits including a downstairs front "Living Room" bedroom and a loft conversion to maximise the profit.

This has been going on for almost 18 months now as the guy who took out a load of debt to lay claim to the property is doing most of the work himself, (he's completely unqualified) except for the occasional foreigner, obviously just to keep the costs down.  He's from the South, doesn't work, never has, already has a house nearby which he bought outright and rents out rooms in that property, (fair enough, it's his) and his initial intention was for him to move into next door but due to all of the HMO regulations he's opting to stay where he is and rent out all 4 rooms next door.  First he said it'd only be to Post-Grad Students, although I'm sure once he realises that he won't be able to rent to those he'll start looking further down the list to Undergraduates, if he cant' get any of them in he'll probably end up renting it out to whomever he can get in there, (he's not going to leave it empty is he?).  Admittedly he seems like a nice enough Guy, but then again people usually are nice to you when they want something from you and have just decimated the value of your property and possibly peace due to what he's doing next door, (would you want to live next to 4 Students?  Me neither but I now don't have a choice).

As much as I wouldn't wish anyone any harm specifically, I hope that no-one moves in and that he ends up getting it repossessed, (there are 3 other Student properties on our street alone).  I just don't see how it's possible for someone to not have to make a financial contribution to something and then expect 4 strangers to pay his debt off for him.  I mean, if he bought it outright he should be able to do whatever he wants with it, but this has cost him exactly nothing except borrowed money and his time.  It's madness!

Did you see the post on Sunday morning?

Someone who did not have a regular proper income but had been gifted 3 rental properties via inheritance. 

 

As they wanted to upsize, they wanted to know if they could re-mortgage the rental properties to get cash to buy a bigger house even though they didn't have a proper income themselves - just the rental income.

 

So many red flags there, I told them, abruptly but not offensively, to ask elsewhere and called them a house hoarding house hoarder (rather than a ******* *****). I can't find the thread now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenDevil said:

Another benefit of uncontrolled EU immigration, how fortunate we are!

Sorry, but I do not put blame on the people who require a place to live in a place where they work, I put the blame on the system that allows it to happen.......the world is a big place and people have always moved to places to work, often cheap labour.......some have benefited, many more see no benefit whatsoever, those that benefit make money from paying little or renting for lots or having ready big numbers of ready and willing consumers.....;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mspL4 said:

Happening next door to me as we speak; Perfectly good 3 bedroom Victorian Terrace house which has been getting completely gutted/renovated including carving the property up into 4 separate bedsits including a downstairs front "Living Room" bedroom and a loft conversion to maximise the profit.

This has been going on for almost 18 months now as the guy who took out a load of debt to lay claim to the property is doing most of the work himself, (he's completely unqualified) except for the occasional foreigner, obviously just to keep the costs down.  He's from the South, doesn't work, never has, already has a house nearby which he bought outright and rents out rooms in that property, (fair enough, it's his) and his initial intention was for him to move into next door but due to all of the HMO regulations he's opting to stay where he is and rent out all 4 rooms next door.  First he said it'd only be to Post-Grad Students, although I'm sure once he realises that he won't be able to rent to those he'll start looking further down the list to Undergraduates, if he cant' get any of them in he'll probably end up renting it out to whomever he can get in there, (he's not going to leave it empty is he?).  Admittedly he seems like a nice enough Guy, but then again people usually are nice to you when they want something from you and have just decimated the value of your property and possibly peace due to what he's doing next door, (would you want to live next to 4 Students?  Me neither but I now don't have a choice).

As much as I wouldn't wish anyone any harm specifically, I hope that no-one moves in and that he ends up getting it repossessed, (there are 3 other Student properties on our street alone).  I just don't see how it's possible for someone to not have to make a financial contribution to something and then expect 4 strangers to pay his debt off for him.  I mean, if he bought it outright he should be able to do whatever he wants with it, but this has cost him exactly nothing except borrowed money and his time.  It's madness!

So he's thought this through and planned it, and he's willing to contribute to spoiling a perfectly decent area in return for a bit of money.

He's basically putting two fingers up to the neighbours.

He won't be around when all the crap is going on so I don't think it is your duty to be neighbourly to him.

Thing is with a lot of these amateur LLs they don't know or don't want to know the regulations and responsibilities that come with it, they are just interested in the money.

A few things off the top of my head - any LA HMO dept to contact?, Building Regs, Fire Regs, Mortgage provider, Land Registry, HMRC, council tax, Traffic dept etc. etc.?

He's willing to be a thorn in your side without losing any sleep over the decision, so, if he hasn't got his affairs in order, you can cause him to reflect about what being a good neighbour and part of a community is all about.He'll also find out what his responsibilities are as a LL, if he doesn't know by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people blaming greedy landlords? Its the greedy local councils  who are giving the planning permissions to convert houses to maisonettes and granting HMO licenses. Presumably the council think they will be quids in with more council tax if they can get the residents to pay up. The government could stop this if they wanted but they won't, its the new economy init.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, winkie said:

Sorry, but I do not put blame on the people who require a place to live in a place where they work, I put the blame on the system that allows it to happen.......the world is a big place and people have always moved to places to work, often cheap labour.......some have benefited, many more see no benefit whatsoever, those that benefit make money from paying little or renting for lots or having ready big numbers of ready and willing consumers.....;)

Neither did the original poster - blaming immigration is not the same as blaming immigrants themselves.

 

Saying that some move here for benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, frankief said:

So he's thought this through and planned it, and he's willing to contribute to spoiling a perfectly decent area in return for a bit of money.

He's basically putting two fingers up to the neighbours.

He won't be around when all the crap is going on so I don't think it is your duty to be neighbourly to him.

Thing is with a lot of these amateur LLs they don't know or don't want to know the regulations and responsibilities that come with it, they are just interested in the money.

A few things off the top of my head - any LA HMO dept to contact?, Building Regs, Fire Regs, Mortgage provider, Land Registry, HMRC, council tax, Traffic dept etc. etc.?

He's willing to be a thorn in your side without losing any sleep over the decision, so, if he hasn't got his affairs in order, you can cause him to reflect about what being a good neighbour and part of a community is all about.He'll also find out what his responsibilities are as a LL, if he doesn't know by now.

To be fair(ish) to him, he appears to have done his homework and has had Building Control in more than once to sign off/reject his work so he appears to be taking it seriously, (at least on the face of it) although this is probably more so that he doesn't incur any fines for violating Local Council guidelines etc than caring that much about the house/street/neighbours.  I feel as though he's been put here to challenge my preconception of Landlords, (being Greedy, Taxdodging Parasites).  My Missus is taken in by it all but I'm not convinced and won't be until he lets the place.  If he gets in decent people I'll hold off informing the Local Council that he's a Landlord, (he's not on the register at the moment, and neither this or his primary residence are listed as being rental properties) or that he has 2 HMO's.  Similarly I'll hold off notifying HMRC of his Tax dodging status.

The thing that bugs me is that he's been allowed to do this at no actual expense to himself at all, he's ruining a lovely street, potentially ruining our peace and quiet and ruining a perfectly good Family home.  I don't work full-time to live next door to a load of Students who don't have to go to work, I moved away from that very scenario over 5 years ago.

Again, not wanting to be horrible to him but I hope it all implodes around him, he seems pretty clueless so I'm not even going into the S24 etc thing as I just plead ignorance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Neither did the original poster - blaming immigration is not the same as blaming immigrants themselves.

 

Saying that some move here for benefits.

The system......the system benefits, the benefits are paid into the system.....so the rentiers benefit, the big corporations benefit, the local take away benefits.......does the neighbourhood benefit?;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, winkie said:

The system......the system benefits, the benefits are paid into the system.....so the rentiers benefit, the big corporations benefit, the local take away benefits.......does the neighbourhood benefit?;)

The people who are priced out (like me) of the neighbourhood because houses go to pro single parents don't benefit at all.

I am not 100% sure the big corporations benefit from our benefits system.  How would you prove that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   34 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.