Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
malk

Labour pledges 'tougher' standards for rented houses

Recommended Posts

Brilliant. Shadow housing secretary John Healey:

"Our homes are at the centre of our lives, but at the moment renters too often don't have basic consumer rights that we take for granted in other areas.

"In practice, you have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge-freezer.

"As a result, too many are forced to put up with unacceptable, unfit and downright dangerous housing."

Labour said its own analysis, based on the 2014 English Housing Survey, showed that tenants in England were spending £800m a month - or £9.6bn a year - on homes the government classes as "non-decent".

 

Tories said we, erm, ahem, we mean THEY, THE LANDLORDS will just put up rents.

Think we'll hear 'it will put rents up' in response to just about anything substantial that's suggested, it's pretty much all the tories have got to say about it, they know who their MPs, erm, I mean, voters are.

Plenty of Labour MPs are private registered landlords, too, I wonder if that's one of the reasons the PLP has got the knives out for JC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe each party needs to have a FckthaLL policy.

Just so those leveraged loons get the message.

If I was an IO BTLer Id be welcome all these changes as they are going to need them when all the BTLs and own house are repod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This election is turning into a boomers vs generation rent death match. 

I think it's clear where the shires stand, but your average UKIP voter isn't really in the mortgage-free final salary pension demographic, so this may prove more of a vote-winner than it seems.

My guess is that there aren't enough young people to make a dent on the Tory poll lead, but I think on past form, it's clear that if policies like this prove popular, the Tories will just adopt them (or something like them) in the next parliament anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"But Tory housing minister Gavin Barwell said licensing landlords would amount to a "tenants' tax", as the cost of the licences would be passed on in higher rent."

A familiar phrase to us all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"our costs 'av gone up so we gotta put da rent up innit"

Well........ perhaps that needs to be regulated so you can pass on the savings from having your feckless reckless asses bailed out by ZIRP for the last 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, North London Rent Girl said:

Brilliant. Shadow housing secretary John Healey:

"Our homes are at the centre of our lives, but at the moment renters too often don't have basic consumer rights that we take for granted in other areas.

"In practice, you have fewer rights renting a family home than you do buying a fridge-freezer.

"As a result, too many are forced to put up with unacceptable, unfit and downright dangerous housing."

Labour said its own analysis, based on the 2014 English Housing Survey, showed that tenants in England were spending £800m a month - or £9.6bn a year - on homes the government classes as "non-decent".

 

Tories said we, erm, ahem, we mean THEY, THE LANDLORDS will just put up rents.

Think we'll hear 'it will put rents up' in response to just about anything substantial that's suggested, it's pretty much all the tories have got to say about it, they know who their MPs, erm, I mean, voters are.

Plenty of Labour MPs are private registered landlords, too, I wonder if that's one of the reasons the PLP has got the knives out for JC.

Bang on 100%, especially the last bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

"But Tory housing minister Gavin Barwell said licensing landlords would amount to a "tenants' tax", as the cost of the licences would be passed on in higher rent."

A familiar phrase to us all! 

Yeah, although he ruined it by using the correct punctuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RentingForever said:

So the official Tory policy is now to be in favour of rented accommodation that is not fit for habitation, since they're so opposed to fining landlords who provide it?

No. Just scoring points off Labour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if the cost is passed on in increased rent it won't be much - Newham's £150 for a five year licence works out at only an extra £2.50 per month! That's worth it to get landlords on a proper register to sort out the cowboys, and hopefully cross-checking by HMRC to clamp down on all the tax avoidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

My guess is that there aren't enough young people to make a dent on the Tory poll lead, but I think on past form, it's clear that if policies like this prove popular, the Tories will just adopt them (or something like them) in the next parliament anyway. 

Too many young people do not vote. They would rather throw a brick later than cast a vote now.

Brexit and Trump are the result of youth apathy. The 2017 general election will be a repeat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adarmo said:

"our costs 'av gone up so we gotta put da rent up innit"

Well........ perhaps that needs to be regulated so you can pass on the savings from having your feckless reckless asses bailed out by ZIRP for the last 10 years. 

 

No, see, the Conservatives believe regulation is just for investors using their own (TAXED!) money, like those investing in the utility companies.

As we know, the Tories now wish to cap fuel prices - a good capitalist, free-market, conservative policy. This policy is quite different from the Labour cap on fuel prices, as proposed by Miliband, which, as the Tories rightly pointed out, was a Marxist, anti-free market policy.

The fact that the Tories have already intervened in the "free market" in housing, by restricting supply, through caps on council tax (effectively stopping council houses being built) and  blocking development at the local level, and increasing demand by pumping in credit via ZIRP, Help-to-Buy and funding for lending, is of course irrelevant in their eyes.

I'm a proper, died-in-the-wool leaver, but if May thinks that's all that matters, she might have another thing coming. I voted on June 23rd and in the last election. If this is the Tory response to our housing crisis, I'll probably not bother taking the trip to the polling booth. And if May does not increase her majority because others do the same, where will that leave her?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dream of owning a house, not renting. I shall not be voting for Labour, nor Conservatives, Lib Dems, UK.... non of them refer to human asperations to own a home. That's the broken Britian I grew up in, not the image of a nation of home renters, were the British pride in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bear Goggles said:

This election is turning into a boomers vs generation rent death match. 

I think it's clear where the shires stand, but your average UKIP voter isn't really in the mortgage-free final salary pension demographic, so this may prove more of a vote-winner than it seems.

My guess is that there aren't enough young people to make a dent on the Tory poll lead, but I think on past form, it's clear that if policies like this prove popular, the Tories will just adopt them (or something like them) in the next parliament anyway. 

Spot on. The boomers will win this one easily but the Tories can see where things are leading and will morph between now and the next election to become more favourable to the younger generations. What they're clearly doing in this one is trying to move their power base into the North which them will help when the housing downturn hits London and the South East over the next few years. 

Edited by Patient London FTB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

I'm a proper, died-in-the-wool leaver,

 

Of course I meant "dyed-in-the-wool". Obviously I haven't passed away whilst wearing a sweater. I couldn't have written the post otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ah-so said:

"But Tory housing minister Gavin Barwell said licensing landlords would amount to a "tenants' tax", as the cost of the licences would be passed on in higher rent."

A familiar phrase to us all! 

Gavin Barwell has a very marginal Remain voting seat with more and more young renters every year. Despite the national trends I wonder if he will keep his seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to vote for whoever makes the best housing 'offer' as this the biggest problem my family faces. Let's hope housing is a prominent issue in the campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RentingForever said:

So the official Tory policy is now to be in favour of rented accommodation that is not fit for habitation, since they're so opposed to fining landlords who provide it?

Look, if people are too lazy to pull themselves up by the bootstraps and start earning enough to pay 300 grand for a bedsit over a chip shop in Mitcham, that's their problem. Bit of squalor is a good incentive, wah, wah, wah.

I really do think they bray that sort of thing to each other over their lobster lunches. Ooh, now, look, I've started meself off, knew I shouldn't have come back on here today, was feeling quite chilled until I started thinking about tories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Too many young people do not vote. They would rather throw a brick later than cast a vote now.

Brexit and Trump are the result of youth apathy. The 2017 general election will be a repeat.

 

I think they're too young to remember proper political debate, snot their fault, they've been raised to be good little consumers/debtors and not think about things too much beyond individual identity and choices. I really think they might surprise us, do hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All hot air and no substance.....who will pay to monitor it, the staff to police it?.... austerity and cuts will see that people knowingly will do what they can for as long as they can get away with it....So if these tenants do happen to get removed from uninhabitable private rented accommodation who will be willing or able to rehouse them now, today, they will turn a blind eye and say it is not happening......so it goes on......nobody really cares, and if weak and poor without a voice they will care even less....fewer choices or no choice.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Of course I meant "dyed-in-the-wool". Obviously I haven't passed away whilst wearing a sweater. I couldn't have written the post otherwise.

And while we're being pedantic, it's "another think coming". Are you sure you're not a closet IO BTLer? Poor command of written English language is a dead giveaway ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good that they're thinking along these lines but ultimately meaningless until no-fault evictions are outlawed.

Like they are in all other western countries.

 

I think I am still going to vote labour though probably.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on planet MegaTory, in super-safe Wokingham. Unbelievably, everyone I meet recently has said "Of course I always voted Tory but this time first ever it will be Labour because ..." (NHS or housing usually)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

 

No, see, the Conservatives believe regulation is just for investors using their own (TAXED!) money, like those investing in the utility companies.

As we know, the Tories now wish to cap fuel prices - a good capitalist, free-market, conservative policy. This policy is quite different from the Labour cap on fuel prices, as proposed by Miliband, which, as the Tories rightly pointed out, was a Marxist, anti-free market policy.

The fact that the Tories have already intervened in the "free market" in housing, by restricting supply, through caps on council tax (effectively stopping council houses being built) and  blocking development at the local level, and increasing demand by pumping in credit via ZIRP, Help-to-Buy and funding for lending, is of course irrelevant in their eyes.

I'm a proper, died-in-the-wool leaver, but if May thinks that's all that matters, she might have another thing coming. I voted on June 23rd and in the last election. If this is the Tory response to our housing crisis, I'll probably not bother taking the trip to the polling booth. And if May does not increase her majority because others do the same, where will that leave her?

 

 

Cap on fuel prices is stupid. However, it is quite different to the freeze Miliband proposed. 

Market interventions go way back. If you're anti market intervention then that means no council houses, no housing benefit and no planning restrictions. I would argue further the point on central government blocking local development. It tends to be local councils and NIMBYs blocking local development and then the central government intervening to grant permission. 

So far the Tories have missed a trick. They could have, should have, let it crash out when they took power in 2010 and blamed the hell out of the last Labour government (the one that pushed for the opening up for EE and no restrictions on migration, while not relaxing planning rules, ramping housing benefit and then buying the grey and civil service votes).

If you don't vote you don't count. Red Jez has said he'll build 500k council houses, the Tories have lit up a fire under leveraged BTL. LibDems are pretty clueless and UKIP is ust a protest vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   92 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.