House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

'I am not interested in the stock market': TV presenter SIAN LLOYD on how she tripled her money on property investments in Wales

What has been your best money decision?

Buying property. I own a three-bedroom house in Penarth, a suburb of Cardiff, which I bought when I was 24 for £21,000.

I have no idea what it is worth now but it will be in the hundreds of thousands of pounds. I rent it out so I get an income as well as benefiting from its capital appreciation. I bought it in what is now a great location because the Cardiff bay area has since been developed.

Do you invest in a pension or the stock market?

No and I never have. I have only ever invested in property and I have always done well out of it. When I get really old, my earnings will be property dependent.

I am not interested in the stock market – I am not a gambler.:o:lol:

What is the first thing you would do if you were Chancellor of the Exchequer?

I would reduce stamp duty across the board and I would scrap the additional three per cent duty on second homes. I think stamp duty is an unfair tax. In London, it is inhibiting movement. You get hammered if you buy there, and when you add on the extra second home tax, you are stuffed.

I have had to pay 10 per cent stamp duty on my London flat, plus an additional three per cent because it is a second home. When George Osborne introduced that rate, which is levied on the portion of the property price between £925,000 and £1.5 million, he killed that part of the property market dead. Outside of London, it sounds obscene to think properties are worth that much – but in London, that is the way it is.

How many properties do you own?

Three. My six-bedroom home in the heart of rural Wales which has 20 acres of land. Then my buy-to-let property in Penarth and I have just bought a two-bedroom flat in London’s Kensington.

I bought my country home in 2004 for about £200,000. It used to be two old cottages which I joined together by building a glass extension that overlooks my land. I have no idea what it is worth, but I would guess it has probably tripled in value. But that is irrelevant because I am never going to sell it.

The flat in London needs a lot of work. It took me at least six months to find the right property. Given the extra three per cent stamp duty you have to pay on second homes, I had to buy a property priced lower than anything I thought I would be looking to purchase.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/meandmymoney/article-4458368/Sian-Lloyd-tripled-money-property.html#comments

Edited by fru-gal

11 minutes ago, Jazzman said:

<an inability to quote properly>

We do know what year the £21K house was bought. She said she was 24. The article CLAIMS that she's a "savvy 58-year old". If the numerical part of that is true, then that's 34 years ago: 1983.

4 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

We do know what year the £21K house was bought. She said she was 24. The article CLAIMS that she's a "savvy 58-year old". If the numerical part of that is true, then that's 34 years ago: 1983.

Did houses near Barry cost 23K in 1983?

Surely 10k.

According to this historical stock returns calculator, if you'd invested $23,000 in 1983 it'd be worth $867,790 today. That's the US but, since the US is half the world equity market, it's a decent estimate of returns. Still, you can't go wrong with British property :lol:

The real story is that there is a person born in 1958, and did well in property!

Edited by 200p

I think this is now the THIRD time I've seen this Sian Lloyd piece in the DM... they tend to rehash it and roll it out whenever they run out of all other property ramping material 

Most of the gains from her Welsh BTL would have been wiped out by her having to pay almost £600k in stamp duty (inc second home premium) for her Kensington 2 bed. She says she had to pay 13% SDLT in total which means the Kensington flat was bought in the region of £4,500,000. Still, she probably got a large settlement from divorcing her millionaire ex-husband.

9 hours ago, 200p said:

The real story is that there is a person born in 1958, and did well in property!

Marrying a millionare also helps...

2 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Smug bitch who has no understanding of the damage people like her unthinkingly do to others and younger generations in particular.

Everyone feeling letdown should down tools. Grind the country to a halt. Force them to rebalance affordability. 

"I bought it in what is now a great location because the Cardiff bay area has since been developed."

Actually she was right about this as Cardiff Bay was just derelict old docks and then there was the Cardiff Bay Redevelopment Project when they built a lot of swanky flats and it became the hip trendy place to be.

She may have done well in property but not so well in affairs of the heart.:)Mind you I'm not surprised.....I feel an overwhelmong urge to switch channels whenever she appears..........

I think the man is a very private person - even his twitter (less than 200 tweets) does not have his face appearing as an avatar or in any of the pictures. I won't link it here. It is his twitter because Sian is in there in the pictures.

---

The clandestine wedding:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574433/Sian-Lloyd-marries-her-motor-racing-millionaire.html

She is very public, and after all likes being in front of the camera. I suggest this is one of the reasons for the split.

This is Sian's very active Twitter (38K+ tweets) with many pictures of herself in there https://twitter.com/SianWeather?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

---

Look at your partnerships - if you both have very different levels of activity on your social media accounts, there maybe trouble ahead...

Edited by 200p

The real millionaires are very quiet people and drive old Volvos. Would Sian really like to attend a party in Style in an old Volvo? I think not.

42 minutes ago, 200p said:

The real millionaires are very quiet people and drive old Volvos. Would Sian really like to attend a party in Style in an old Volvo? I think not.

Perhaps a few frugal ones on HPI longwave, but many others living it up too.

Millionaires with helicopters and top-of-the range cars.... holidays, jewels and all the good stuff.

...sheesh, so many of the older people ripping into younger people have iphones and ipads and flat-screen televisions themselves.... BMW X5s

On 4/25/2017 at 1:15 PM, Venger said:

And some of the richest people I know enjoy nice cars.  Including older homeowners.  Yes some watch their money despite having fortunes in wealth and have old cars, but many others don't.  All individual choice.  1 dimensional nonsense to project older owners with lovely 5 bed houses, as all running ancient Volvos or 1L Micras (or whatever).

49 minutes ago, 200p said:

This, the difference is how old the money is. If everything is on tick, there is not always much left after the bills have finally been paid and profligate offspring will finish that off in no time. 

"Heartbroken Sian Lloyd admits she STILL doesn't know why her husband walked out on their 'amazing marriage' after their eight years together "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3714489/Heartbroken-Sian-Lloyd-admits-doesn-t-know-husband-walked-amazing-marriage-eight-years-together.html#ixzz4fwNL3uYq 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3714489/Heartbroken-Sian-Lloyd-admits-doesn-t-know-husband-walked-amazing-marriage-eight-years-together.html

I think I can guess.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere