Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
maverick73

Southern rail strikes trigger house price slump

Recommended Posts

Don't really see it myself, everyone knows the strike will have to end eventually.

 

Some of those places are probably quite nice to live, apart from the houseprices.  In order to afford a 3 or 4 bed detached, you would probably need a job in London, even without strikes you have to wonder what quantity of life that sort of commute would give you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, reddog said:

Don't really see it myself, everyone knows the strike will have to end eventually.

 

Some of those places are probably quite nice to live, apart from the houseprices.  In order to afford a 3 or 4 bed detached, you would probably need a job in London, even without strikes you have to wonder what quantity of life that sort of commute would give you.

We're all slaves of debts, not of chains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

...offered a £14,000 pay rise to settle the dispute.

..prolonged dispute over pay, working conditions and driver-only trains.

..Two previous attempts to bring the 18-month dispute to an end failed after drivers rejected the deals in ballots.

Under latest proposals, drivers would get a 28.5 per cent pay rise over five years, taking their basic pay from £49,000 to £63,000 for a standard 35-hour four-day week.

 

A few news sources for the above.

Umm Daily Mail first one on a search:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4998858/Southern-Rail-chiefs-offer-drivers-63k-salaries.html

Newspaper of last week outlined big pay many railroad 'engineers'  (can I describe them as that..? - Don't want some of our top-flight HPC engineers to get edgy) are currently commanding, with skill shortages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deals were not rejected by members on pay; They were rejected on sole-responsibility for passenger safety for 10+ carriages and terrible "Cameras," during peak hours. The new proposals have to be put to the Aslef members who are genuinely split i hear. "In Exceptional circumstances," has to be defined.

Disability groups are rightly annoyed that no-one cares. 

The railways have been vandalised since Beeching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.... the strikes hardly add much to fun to the misery of cummuting ~4h/d.

However, I wonder if the issue is more to do with the cost of commuting?

Season tickets arnt cheap. Rail fare have risen weith CPI or RPI i.e. more than the average UK.

Train fares have gone up ~30% in the last 10 years. Average UK wage as been stuck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tapori said:

The deals were not rejected by members on pay; They were rejected on sole-responsibility for passenger safety for 10+ carriages and terrible "Cameras," during peak hours. The new proposals have to be put to the Aslef members who are genuinely split i hear. "In Exceptional circumstances," has to be defined.

Disability groups are rightly annoyed that no-one cares. 

The railways have been vandalised since Beeching.

I guess they need to get the conductor off the train, as a first step to total automation, which will probably come with the next generation of trains.

 

I am a bit split here, on the one side, it is good to have an official on the train to control the dodgy passengers, on the other side insisting the conductor closing the doors in imperative to safety, and can be done no other way is a obviously protectionism.

Edited by reddog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Well.... the strikes hardly add much to fun to the misery of cummuting ~4h/d.

However, I wonder if the issue is more to do with the cost of commuting?

Season tickets arnt cheap. Rail fare have risen weith CPI or RPI i.e. more than the average UK.

Train fares have gone up ~30% in the last 10 years. Average UK wage as been stuck.

 

Oh the irony of neo-liberalism. European state-subsidised companies can run our railways - badly - but god forbid we are allowed to run ours like they run theirs. East coast after Stagecoach pulled out must be forgotten now we have Branson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, reddog said:

I guess they need to get conductor of the train, as a first step to total automation, which will probably come with the next generation of trains.

 

I am a bit split here, on the one side, it is good to have an official on the train to control the dodgy passengers, on the other side insisting the conductor closing the doors in imperative to safety, and can be done no other way is a obviously protectionism.

The problem is always the peak hours plus the complete lack of investment in raillway safety in general. They can't even electrify lines properly. I don't trust the managers running things until we have genuine people overseeing this not simply marketing men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tapori said:

Oh the irony of neo-liberalism. European state-subsidised companies can run our railways - badly - but god forbid we are allowed to run ours like they run theirs. East coast after Stagecoach pulled out must be forgotten now we have Branson.

 dont think its neo-liberalism.

More EU laws * apply to companies/competition.

* - unless you are a German or French state company.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tapori said:

The problem is always the peak hours plus the complete lack of investment in raillway safety in general. They can't even electrify lines properly. I don't trust the managers running things until we have genuine people overseeing this not simply marketing men.

In the case of commuter lines, with no realistic competition, they are essential physical infrastructure. I can see a fair argument to nationalised these particular services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

In the case of commuter lines, with no realistic competition, they are essential physical infrastructure. I can see a fair argument to nationalised these particular services.

Less natinalise, more regulate them like utilities.

 

Even that is hard - witness waer cos.

The rules need to keep the leverage down - see Macquaries which have just ramped upl everage, so thames water and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, spyguy said:

 dont think its neo-liberalism.

More EU laws * apply to companies/competition.

* - unless you are a German or French state company.

 

Except that the EU has always traveled the 'free trade' train. Corporatist, pro-capitalist and anti-worker, by design. 

As the late Bob Crow once observed:

Quote

“...social EU legislation, which supposedly leads to better working conditions, has not saved one job and is riddled with opt-outs for employers to largely ignore any perceived benefits they may bring to workers. But it is making zero-hour contracts and agency-working the norm while undermining collective bargaining and full-time, secure employment.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

63k!? For what? I cannot believe driving a train is any more difficult than driving a car, and almost anyone can do that.

When they cost that much they can expect to be automated into redundancy even sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btd1981 said:

63k!? For what? I cannot believe driving a train is any more difficult than driving a car, and almost anyone can do that.

When they cost that much they can expect to be automated into redundancy even sooner.

Lots of extremely boring jobs pay well. I think crane operating is one too. Plus this is one where you go to prison if you screw up and have a 5 yearly medical (I think) to confirm you're medically safe to carry on driving. I agree at those rates they should be automated but it's not necessarily unreasonable pay for the job. I know someone who does it in the North, not in 60k but a good wedge for the part of the country he lives in, people joke about his millions earned as a train driver, he earns more then his supervisors. He works 4 days on and 3 days off, personally he loves it but says he has colleagues that hate it who only do it for the money. He drinks like a fish on his days off. Boring job.

Edited by Si1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I am mostly learning about trains.  The Southern service from Southampton to Brighton has run over a large tree branch which is stuck under the train.  The train appears to have lost power and it seems cannot reverse to allow the branch to be freed.  We are waiting for a man with a chainsaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Si1 said:

Lots of extremely boring jobs pay well. I think crane operating is one too. Plus this is one where you go to prison if you screw up and have a 5 yearly medical (I think) to confirm you're medically safe to carry on driving. I agree at those rates they should be automated but it's not necessarily unreasonable pay for the job. I know someone who does it in the North, not in 60k but a good wedge for the part of the country he lives in, people joke about his millions earned as a train driver, he earns more then his supervisors. He works 4 days on and 3 days off, personally he loves it but says he has colleagues that hate it who only do it for the money. He drinks like a fish on his days off. Boring job.

Not to mention the multiple fatalities (bodies quite literally exploding in front of you or coming through the windscreen) you’ll witness during your career, 24hr random start and finish times playing havoc with your health, single responsibility for 700+ passengers, and as you rightly point out, boredom. 63k is top end, many paying 45-50k. Still obviously very good but there are loads of jobs out there paying similarly. Don’t forget many train guards on longer distance trains are on 33-35k + commission for essentially selling tickets and doing announcements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barnsey said:

Not to mention the multiple fatalities (bodies quite literally exploding in front of you or coming through the windscreen) you’ll witness during your career, 24hr random start and finish times playing havoc with your health, single responsibility for 700+ passengers, and as you rightly point out, boredom. 63k is top end, many paying 45-50k. Still obviously very good but there are loads of jobs out there paying similarly. Don’t forget many train guards on longer distance trains are on 33-35k + commission for essentially selling tickets and doing announcements.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyrail-guard-christopher-mcgee-jailed-3329790

 

It does strike me as a relatively easy job to get into to get good money, doesn't require a specific degree or chartered institute membership, for sure. But I wouldn't want to do it even though it would be a payrise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Si1 said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyrail-guard-christopher-mcgee-jailed-3329790

 

It does strike me as a relatively easy job to get into to get good money, doesn't require a specific degree or chartered institute membership, for sure. But I wouldn't want to do it even though it would be a payrise.

Exactly, the more my mate tells me, the more I’m put off. Sounds like you’re pretty much to blame for everything so quite a paranoid, isolated working environment too, gone are the casual BR days. And once you’re out you won’t get into any other train company in the UK. No thanks.

Edited by Barnsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Will! said:

Today I am mostly learning about trains.  The Southern service from Southampton to Brighton has run over a large tree branch which is stuck under the train.  The train appears to have lost power and it seems cannot reverse to allow the branch to be freed.  We are waiting for a man with a chainsaw.

65k/year doesnt seem to buy a lot of sense or eyesight.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, spyguy said:

65k/year doesnt seem to buy a lot of sense or eyesight.....

The stopping distance of a train is beyond visual, at any kind of line speed. What do you expect them to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Si1 said:

The stopping distance of a train is beyond visual, at any kind of line speed. What do you expect them to do?

Casey Jones always seemed to manage it just fine. The kids of today:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   92 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.