AvoidDebt

Labour not ruling out rent controls as possible manifesto pledge

19 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Great choice for BTL landlords, then.

Tory = Section 24.

Labour = Rent controls. 

Bring it on.

Greens?

HOMELESSNESS charity Shelter Scotland has backed calls for Edinburgh to introduce rent controls. Plans have been put forward that would see US-style caps set on the amount landlords can increase tenants’ rents.

The Edinburgh Greens want the Capital to be declared a Rent Pressure Zone (RPZ) after new laws come into force later this year.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/edinburgh-rent-control-backing-for-tight-controls-on-landlords-1-4413101

I've never voted Labour before but I may be tempted to do so on June 8th (to re-elect my MP) as they seem to be vocal about keeping the cost of housing under control.

"Rent controls" are a political dog whistle, but really the power to limit rent increases is simply a natural and necessary part of increasing tenant security. Currently, a LL can evict simply by asking for a comedy increase in rent. As well as a myriad other 'no fault' scenarios. 

Any attempts to improve tenant security which doesn't address these "no fault" scenarios are largely worthless.

Labour's massive failure last time round was to float the idea of 3 year tenancies, while still allowing (and even extending) the different exceptions whereby a LL could whang their tenants out irrespective of the apparent security of 3 years. This was almost copied in verbatim by Zac Goldsmith for his failed London mayoral bid.

We await the manifestos. I'm hopful Corbyn won't make the same errors.

From the lettingagenttoday link

Dromey made a series of pledges including saying Labour would build 200,000 homes a year if it came to government, with around half of them being affordable, and insisted his party would significantly improve the quality and quantity of the private rental sector.

Dromey apparently a former housing minister under Blair might get taken a bit more seriously if he'd said that Labour would make good the shortfall under the existing government's promise of 1 million new homes by May 2020 (which would mean about 240,000 new homes a year for the next 3 years) and then reconsider the situation and in any event build no less than 200,000 new homes for the 2 years then remaining in the new parliament.

In actual fact I don't think any of the main political parties pre-election promises either in or out of the manifestos can be taken at all seriously these days.  They're all a bunch of unmitigated liars.

We don't need more houses, there's hundreds of thousands of empty homes.

Turn that around plus get empty nest boomers and elderly to downsize out of their 3 and 4 beds. A few immigrants leaving might help too.

Sorted.

I must admit it would be fun to watch a Corbyn led government. There would be some heads exploding from corporate types who have had their own way for at least 3 decades now.

18 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

We don't need more houses, there's hundreds of thousands of empty homes.

Turn that around plus get empty nest boomers and elderly to downsize out of their 3 and 4 beds. A few immigrants leaving might help too.

Sorted.

I tend to agree but getting those empty homes actually generally accessible etc is another thing altogether.  I'm not in favour of enforcing the accessibility etc - encouragement is ok.   In any event I would agree that the number of houses is pretty irrelevant (but not entirely irrelevant) to crazy house prices as it's the level of credit that's by far the most important factor - but even so more houses in the zones of overcrowding does no harm in terms of housing and in terms of house prices might be slightly beneficial.  The tories did commit to 1 million new homes by 2020 and don't look like getting anywhere near to hitting that target as new home building is still at record lows. 

The main point was that I remain to be convinced that they'll carry out any of their so called promises or that Dromey is treating it seriously - on new home building or rent controls etc.  Without defining in detail what they mean by rent controls it could just be a pig in a poke type of rent control and that's if they did introduce any controls at all if they gained power.

Edited by billybong

13 minutes ago, doomed said:

I must admit it would be fun to watch a Corbyn led government. There would be some heads exploding from corporate types who have had their own way for at least 3 decades now.

I'm no Labour or Corbyn supporter but indeed from that perspective it might be fun watching it all unfold.

13 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

I think they're serious. Jeremy has long been an advocate for the homeless I understand.

Indeed he has seemingly had a serious focus on housing, house prices and the homeless since becoming leader (and likely before that as well) although I can't take any pre-election promises from the main parties seriously as they are more likely to renege on them than carry them out. 

The homeless issue is a bit of a separate issue as there aren't so many homeless that they justify the hundreds of thousands of new homes promised to be built (that's commonly justified by the rate of population increase) - although that's not to say that their situation is not a very serious cause for concern when they do want to be housed.

Edited by billybong

7 hours ago, billybong said:

From the lettingagenttoday link

Dromey apparently a former housing minister under Blair might get taken a bit more seriously if he'd said that Labour would make good the shortfall under the existing government's promise of 1 million new homes by May 2020 (which would mean about 240,000 new homes a year for the next 3 years) and then reconsider the situation and in any event build no less than 200,000 new homes for the 2 years then remaining in the new parliament.

He's my MP <_<

He is Harriet Harman's husband, and in 2010 he was the only man in the county to win an all-female shortlist of local candidates in the Labour Party. In other words he was gifted the seat. It's been a safe Labour seat since World War 2.

Dromey replaced the disgraced, expenses-abusing Siôn Simon - an unrepentant man who not only didn't get punished for that, but has had the gall to say he would stand for both Birmingham Mayor (until we all voted against having an elected mayor), and still in his power-grab is now standing for the West Midlands mayor in the elections this Thurs May 4th.

There's no democratic representation in this part of Birmingham, that's for sure.

Edited by mrtickle

25 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

He's my MP <_<

He is Harriet Harman's husband, and in 2010 he was the only man in the county to win an all-female shortlist of local candidates in the Labour Party. In other words he was gifted the seat. It's been a safe Labour seat since World War 2.

Dromey replaced the disgraced, expenses-abusing Siôn Simon - an unrepentant man who not only didn't get punished for that, but has had the gall to say he would stand for both Birmingham Mayor (until we all voted against having an elected mayor), and still in his power-grab is now standing for the West Midlands mayor in the elections this Thurs May 4th.

There's no democratic representation in this part of Birmingham, that's for sure.

Labour (1998) - They stopped social housing builds and switched over to privatisation. It's all about money. That party died under Blair and Brown, causing the splinter off into UKIP... They people's party no longer exists.

1 hour ago, EnglishinWales said:

Don't they realise they'll likely  get fined if they try and evade such controls. 

All that needs to happen is for government to abolish/temporally restrict 'no fault' evictions. If the tenant is paying what's in the contract and no brown envelope then there would be no breach of contract the landlord could use to apply for eviction.

Anyway that post is pure landlord keyboard warrior stuff, you get it every time someone with power goes after landlords.

JamesB to dislexic_landlord Yesterday at 20:25

I'll let my rents be capped when shops, utility companies, builders, decorators, gas engineers etc etc are capped on what they can charge me. Oh and btw my wife quite fancies an Aston so the price of those will need capping too if supply and demand is no longer going to be a driver for pricing.

Hilarious. 'I think I'll just decide not to follow that law if I don't feel like it.' Governments can literally force you to do things, genius. They don't ask, they tell.

19 hours ago, Dorkins said:

All that needs to happen is for government to abolish/temporally restrict 'no fault' evictions. If the tenant is paying what's in the contract and no brown envelope then there would be no breach of contract the landlord could use to apply for eviction.

Anyway that post is pure landlord keyboard warrior stuff, you get it every time someone with power goes after landlords.

Amen to that. Nothing would get the BTL goons to give up than abolishing no fault evictions.

20 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Even that's not so important, because its banks that run the buy-to-let market and they're unlikely to lend against illegal rent numbers. 

Landlords aren't the dealer, they are the addict.