House Price Crash Forum
EmmaRoid

High street trends...

We've had estate agents, pound shops, charity shops and nail bars but what I'm starting to see crop up is, I shit you not, tutoring places.  (Kip McGrath and Explore Learning for example, I'm sure other providers are available)

Why? What's the angle I am clearly missing, where's the free money come from that makes this a business? 

Is this a national trend or just peculiar to my aspirationally pretentious locale?

2 hours ago, Tapori said:

You've been sharp-elbowed.

My taxpayer money is to fund middle-class dreams of private-school resources minus poor kids.

I know I'm being crowded out but how does it work? Are these 'charities'? Do they receive public funding, central or local? Or actual viable business models? In which case there's loads of money floating round out there.

7 hours ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

We've had estate agents, pound shops, charity shops and nail bars but what I'm starting to see crop up is, I shit you not, tutoring places.  (Kip McGrath and Explore Learning for example, I'm sure other providers are available)

Why? What's the angle I am clearly missing, where's the free money come from that makes this a business? 

Is this a national trend or just peculiar to my aspirationally pretentious locale?

If you can get >5 people in a class, it can work out as a nice earner.  10 students paying £8 a hour, pay the tutor £20 and you still get £60 a hour net. A lot better return than a cafe serving 4 coffees and 2 baked potatoes a hour.... 

Edit: The tutor can also pick up individual students (if they're fairly good) from classes.

Edited by Trampa501

3 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

If you can get >5 people in a class, it can work out as a nice earner.  10 students paying £8 a hour, pay the tutor £20 and you still get £60 a hour net. A lot better return than a cafe serving 4 coffees and 2 baked potatoes a hour.... 

But most of the time kids are in actual school.

11 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

But most of the time kids are in actual school.

Tutoring can be for adults too. 3 good hours daily plus maybe more at weekend, can sometimes be enough.  Depends on always on the rent. If the shop is limited (maybe not able to prepare/sell food) and on a secondary high street, the rent may be as low as £600 a month ie £30 a day. (I know there are other bills). Obviously a lot harder to make it pay if rent is £2k a month as then you have to find £70 a day.

Quite possible the place uses the class group to then target potential individual tutoring - which can rise to between £60 and £100 a hour. Not everyone can (or would want to) pay this amount....

Another way to upsell -  be an agent for boot camps/educational holidays. You have the target audience already coming throuigh your door..

Edited by Trampa501

Rise of the middle class Pushy parents- this has been very noticeable in the last decade. A lot of them think if their child is not good at a particular subject, then they won't get into the career they have already picked for them.

a noticeable number are brainwashing their children for a particular career at a young age, why?

Because being a nurse, midwife, teacher, electrician etc is not good enough. Working for Deloitte, JP Morgan pays far more. To work for such companies you need to be "top" graduates. Add on to that , oxbridge candidates get jobs more readily and easily than those who are not. Elitism is everywhere.

This also matches the fact there has been a rise in self harm and mental health issues amongst children

Edited by mathschoc

1 hour ago, Trampa501 said:

If you can get >5 people in a class, it can work out as a nice earner.  10 students paying £8 a hour, pay the tutor £20 and you still get £60 a hour net.

Where are you going to get a tutor willing to teach 10 kids for an hour for £20? They could easily get that doing 1:1 tutoring with much less stress and no discipline issues. Once you're past about 3 kids it's not tutoring, it's classroom teaching.

Edited by Dorkins

1 hour ago, mathschoc said:

Because being a nurse, midwife, teacher, electrician etc is not good enough.

Being a nurse, midwife, teacher, etc. means below inflation pay rises... for the last 8 years...

Anyone I know who is a nurse, midwife teacher or even doctor is steering their kids away from it! 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get the narrative.

How do these businesses (not it seems the traditional individual tutors going house to house) function though? Who is paying?

Edited by 24 year mortgage 8itch

9 hours ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

Redunco money buying franchises.

33 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get the narrative.

How do these businesses (not it seems the traditional individual tutors going house to house) function though? Who is paying?

Around here it is often the grandparents paying -- they're the ones with the disposable income and they still believe in the benefit of an academic education.

Re timing -- they're usually empty during school time.  But it is just a bit like a gym (relatively empty in office hours) or a gift shop (relatively empty from Jan-Oct) -- temporal patterns of income are built into the business model.

1 hour ago, Futuroid said:

Being a nurse, midwife, teacher, etc. means below inflation pay rises... for the last 8 years...

Anyone I know who is a nurse, midwife teacher or even doctor is steering their kids away from it! 

Totally agree

10 hours ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

All the middle class people who have made lots of money from BTL and their houses going up in value so much pump the money into making their average children "intelligent" enough to pass exams so they can send them to private school. I think a lot of it is a middle class status symbol, like shopping in Waitrose, buying organic, going to certain places on holiday that are considered more cultural or cost more than your average holiday (Italy or France), buying certain brands of clothing (Polarn O Pyret, John Lewis) etc. 

2 hours ago, mathschoc said:

Rise of the middle class Pushy parents- this has been very noticeable in the last decade. A lot of them think if their child is not good at a particular subject, then they won't get into the career they have already picked for them.

a noticeable number are brainwashing their children for a particular career at a young age, why?

Because being a nurse, midwife, teacher, electrician etc is not good enough. Working for Deloitte, JP Morgan pays far more. To work for such companies you need to be "top" graduates. Add on to that , oxbridge candidates get jobs more readily and easily than those who are not. Elitism is everywhere.

This also matches the fact there has been a rise in self harm and mental health issues amongst children

Yup we have some of the unhappiest children in the western world according to studies. I myself am horrified at what other parents put there kids through. Childhood is lost to endless afterschool activities and the poor kids only do it cause they want to please there parents.

They often start conversations by boasting that there kid is doing this and that expecting some sort of conversation of oneupmanship.

This is gonna create a load of depressed adults.

So are we saying this is real money then? No one has jumped in so far to say this is funded by public money. I am somewhat surprised that this will be a sustainable business model.

I blame harry ******ing potter. All that hogwarts shit made paid for schooling fashionable again.

1 hour ago, Sandwiches33 said:

Yup we have some of the unhappiest children in the western world according to studies. I myself am horrified at what other parents put there kids through. Childhood is lost to endless afterschool activities and the poor kids only do it cause they want to please there parents.

They often start conversations by boasting that there kid is doing this and that expecting some sort of conversation of oneupmanship.

This is gonna create a load of depressed adults.

+1

They give them weird names too

I have a friend married to a Chinese lady...the kids go to 'Chinese school' on a Saturday...they take it to another level

15 minutes ago, 24 year mortgage 8itch said:

So are we saying this is real money then? No one has jumped in so far to say this is funded by public money. I am somewhat surprised that this will be a sustainable business model.

The childcare voucher scheme allows some of the fees (approx £110 per child per month) be paid from pretax income. 

A lot of the time it is about giving little Cressida or Orpheus a leg up against their classmates/peers/competitors. However the advantage is marginal compared to the headstart (educational & social) conferred by private education.

11 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I have a friend married to a Chinese lady...the kids go to 'Chinese school' on a Saturday...they take it to another level

Well, thats to learn Cantonese/Mandarin and Kanji writing.

My kisd just come home and mess about on youtube and games.

The sounds of their laughter is reward enough.

And they do Maths with me.

Vioiln, sports, etc can fck off.

The sound of my kids laihging at you tube pratfall makes up for it. And that I can drink beer when I get back form work without having to drive ...

1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Well, thats to learn Cantonese/Mandarin and Kanji writing.

Ditto, we tried "Greek school" for a year but it was shit. Even at around £5 for 4 hours childminding it was poor value and culturally, Greek and Cypriot seem quite different and it seemed to have the wrong bias. Cushy job and easy money for the teachers mind. Apparently it was mostly funded by Greece/Cyprus/Orthodox church so the cost to users has probably risen a lot in more recent years.