House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saving For a Space Ship

Build To Rent developers say they want 3 yr tenancies as the norm

This nicely sucks up the good quality, long term tenants into the BTR suppliers. Yet another hit to BTL who will be left fighting other the seconds with no ability to offer the same terms.

2 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

On the continent, after an initial period of 6-12 months the contract typically reverts to a one month rolling. Why not adopt that model?

Because it would offer no security of tenure.

I think the ideal, for families, is 4 year contract with one way only break clause every 12 months.

48 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

There is no reason tenancies should be symmetrical.

The tenant should be able to give much shorter notice than the landlord.

1-3 month notice period for tenants and multiple year, perhaps open ended for tenants. 

Completely agree and it is disappointing that this point isn't made more strongly by the various agencies pushing for tenancy reform. The effects on either party of ending a tenancy are wildy asymmetrical ; total life upheaval for the tenant, with large costs of moving, raising another deposit before the new one is refunded etc versus simply having to find another tenant (or get the agent to do it). In some ways being a tenant is more restrictive than being a homeowner in this country - if you need to get out of a tenancy early there is no mechanism for that, and no incentive for the LL to help either. You are on the hook for rent + council tax + bills for the duration, and 3 year symmetrical tenancies would be a potential nightmare and very risky for any tenant. At least in other countries I have rented in there is some provision for this - e.g. in Aus we had to break a tenancy, so we paid a contribution towards advertising costs and rent up until the new tenant moved in. The obligation from the landlord in this case was to actively market at or below current rent, which they did, and we transitioned with no void for the LL.

In my opinion it should be complete security of tenure for the tenant with, say, 3 months notice and rent rise controls (otherwise that is a simple eviction mechanism). Some special case exemptions such as selling the property might be allowed.

46 minutes ago, CunningPlan said:

Because it would offer no security of tenure.

I think the ideal, for families, is 4 year contract with one way only break clause every 12 months.

These are build to rent. So the security is inherent for the tenants. Unlike the typical BTLer property mortgaged to the max. They lenders impose the 1 year AST as a matter of convinience in case of default.

1 hour ago, hi5lo5 said:

These are build to rent. So the security is inherent for the tenants. Unlike the typical BTLer property mortgaged to the max. They lenders impose the 1 year AST as a matter of convinience in case of default.

A long fixed period might give security for a tenant but it also ties them down, with little flexibility of timing when to leave. Tenants need security but also flexibility; the idea that it should be secure (permanent?) on the landlord but flexible for the tenant is perfectly reasonable IMO, with the only exceptions being for things like a lot of non-payment of rent or completely trashing the place. An initial guaranteed period (6 months? year?) of rent might not be unreasonable, after that entirely up to the tenant.

Edited by Riedquat

3 hours ago, Riedquat said:

A long fixed period might give security for a tenant but it also ties them down, with little flexibility of timing when to leave. Tenants need security but also flexibility; the idea that it should be secure (permanent?) on the landlord but flexible for the tenant is perfectly reasonable IMO, with the only exceptions being for things like a lot of non-payment of rent or completely trashing the place. An initial guaranteed period (6 months? year?) of rent might not be unreasonable, after that entirely up to the tenant.

I think that's the plan. Quote: "Such tenancies will allow the tenant to break, after a short period of notice.”

1 minute ago, RentingForever said:

I think that's the plan. Quote: "Such tenancies will allow the tenant to break, after a short period of notice.”

I was letting it ride on that basis. Time will tell what a 'short period' is.