House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Replacing an RSJ

My mum's go to builder has (unsurprisingly) found more work on an outbuilding  (that should frankly be pulled down it's so unsightly and serves no purpose other that to hold and sort my mother's weekly recycing). It's basically holding an open spanning 6 metres, with three layers of sandstone above and a roof. It's held up very well for forty years and I can't see why it won't see my mother out. 

He's told her it's a two man, two day job and using 8x8 he's quoted (£1,620 inclusive of vat). I don't believe it's more than half a days work, the materials £400-600 plus £500 labour. He's made her so nervous she's agreed for him to go ahead - so £1,300 all in for the Midlands.

I reckon he's already had about £70-80k of work over the past five years. The bif one being a 'damp' problem that quoted  £10k and overan to £30k.

Thanks all. 

If its 8 x 8, that's a 203 x 203mm UC (Universal Column). Minimum weight you can get these is 46kg/m @ 6m long = 276kg.

That's very heavy, not a two man job, requires lifting machinery and to be done in a safe fashion.

He'll need to prop it correctly, take out the old beam & build in concrete padstones either side.

Install steel beam, then make good brickwork/ pack with mortar/ slates to make sure loads are bearing on the beam.

Certainly not half a days work, I think it's a fair price.

2 hours ago, frankief said:

If its 8 x 8, that's a 203 x 203mm UC (Universal Column). Minimum weight you can get these is 46kg/m @ 6m long = 276kg.

That's very heavy, not a two man job, requires lifting machinery and to be done in a safe fashion.

He'll need to prop it correctly, take out the old beam & build in concrete padstones either side.

Install steel beam, then make good brickwork/ pack with mortar/ slates to make sure loads are bearing on the beam.

Certainly not half a days work, I think it's a fair price.

Thanks frankief. Appreciated.

On 25/04/2017 at 8:07 PM, longtomsilver said:

Thanks frankief. Appreciated.

I agree with above 100%. There is probobaly £400 of beam in there too. Add in 2 skilled blokes with gear for 2 days, and actually I don't think it is unreasonable.