House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Civil Servant

Silver Wheaton

Finally got around to popping an experimental 2K into SLW yesterday only for them to go bananas. Up 10% in 2 days or so. Anyone know why?

(Not complaining, except that as always I need to be braver....)

Finally got around to popping an experimental 2K into SLW yesterday only for them to go bananas. Up 10% in 2 days or so. Anyone know why?

I read on kitco a couple of days ago that barclays planned silver etf is expected to go ahead sometime soon - I think that may be related.

Edited by Flick

I read on kitco a couple of days ago that barclays planned silver etf is expected to go ahead sometime soon - I think that may be related.

Physical silver is very strong this week as well. I am big time in Hecla Mining, Apex Silver, Cour D A'lene all are up well over 10% this week. I actually sold half my SLWs at 7$ when many commentators which incidentally included DrB suggested lowering exposure to mining stocks so I thought i would lock in some gains but have missed out on another large rise in SLW and frankly I don't see the opportunity will arise to get back in at sub $7 so whilst I am tempted to sell other holdings into this strength I am staying put.

Have big exposure too to CYN and REI both have silver components. All in all i am now 50% into resources and showing a very healthy gain.

Go with it. Ride the dips. Unless you fancy yourself as trader take at least a 12month view.

Personally I usually faff about with 50p positions on finspreads for amusement. Well there you go……..

Physical silver is very strong this week as well. I am big time in Hecla Mining, Apex Silver, Cour D A'lene all are up well over 10% this week. I actually sold half my SLWs at 7$ when many commentators which incidentally included DrB suggested lowering exposure to mining stocks so I thought i would lock in some gains but have missed out on another large rise in SLW and frankly I don't see the opportunity will arise to get back in at sub $7 so whilst I am tempted to sell other holdings into this strength I am staying put.

Have big exposure too to CYN and REI both have silver components. All in all i am now 50% into resources and showing a very healthy gain.

Go with it. Ride the dips. Unless you fancy yourself as trader take at least a 12month view.

Personally I usually faff about with 50p positions on finspreads for amusement. Well there you go……..

Faffing around with 50p positions sounds fun. Can you tell me more about finspreads? (I'm not really that clued up on all this) (never had guessed would you?).

Faffing around with 50p positions sounds fun. Can you tell me more about finspreads? (I'm not really that clued up on all this) (never had guessed would you?).

Finspreads have the lowest minimum 'bet' i know of. So e.g you can take a 50p short on country wide.

If you were to sell it at 50p a point when the share is £5.00 today and ends up at £4.00 (at expiry or when you choose to close) you would make £50 but if it went to £6.00 you would only loose £50. If you bear in mind the dealing and stamp duty costs of normal uk trading it really is good value (fun).

If fact, when you join they let you trade in 1p bets so you can get trigger happy.

Anyway. As ever don't get too casual a volatile index like crude can still hurt or please even at 50p a point!!

somebody bought 3 million shares apparently in three seperate purchases (or so i read on another forum). somebody obviously fancies them. i think the plans for other ETF's are progressing nicely also.

Now up to 8.56 CA. What are your target prices for this stock?

My biggest holding 10% of my portfolio is Hecla, at $8 I will sell half to get my stake back, for SLW I have to wait till $11 to do the same. Happy to wait.

Usually when i trade I miss out on some big increases so sitting tight. I expect a pullback at some point, in fact there has to be, but just take it in your stride.

Bon chance

Another big jump up. Hit 9.45 in trading today. Anyone know why or care to guess?

Hi Civil Servant

Who do you use to buy Silver Wheaton shares in the UK? I'm with Squaregain and they don't appear to allow me to purchase foreign shares.

Thanks,

crude

Hi Civil Servant

Who do you use to buy Silver Wheaton shares in the UK? I'm with Squaregain and they don't appear to allow me to purchase foreign shares.

Thanks,

crude

You can't buy SLW from a Squaregain ISA account, but I happily buy mine from a Squaregain Dealing Account. (I can't trade instantly on-line, but I can make my order on-line and it is filled within 20 minutes or so - or I can just trade on the phone).

Hi CS,

It might pull back a bit from here.

But now you're in, the best way to play this is to just stay in and enjoy the ride.

Once you're out, when do you come back in?

If it pulls back, use some of the profits you've made to buy more!

This is going to do well for another five years at least.

Unless you're a day trader who knows what he's doing, the simplest and best advice I, a complete novice, can give is stay in the game.

Frizzers

Typically, I procrastinated over buying these (thanks for the response btw Civil Servant) and the price seems to have shot up! They're up by about 15% since my last post :( Should have bought last week!!!

The p/e seems pretty high at 43 - is the price shooting up in anticipation of a rocketing silver price? Anyone care to guess a likely increase in price if silver does something daft and hits $50/oz?

Regards,

crude

OK, the good news was I made a nice profit on SLW and got out at 10.02. The bad news is that they are now up to 12.47.

Any views on this stock and where it is heading and why?

OK, the good news was I made a nice profit on SLW and got out at 10.02. The bad news is that they are now up to 12.47.

Any views on this stock and where it is heading and why?

I think these shares have the potential to rocket. With the silver ETF on the way, reported silver shortages & silver to gold ratio being way above the historic norm (17-1 I think), the upside is massive.

I attempted to buy some today from Squaregain, but was told I couldn't trade in them as they aren't on CREST! I remember you saying you managed to do this - were their staff talking b*llox? Which stockbroker should I be using then?

Regards,

crude.