House Price Crash Forum

Branson Fears Oil Will Cause Biggest Recession Ever Seen

HOLA441

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2010779,00.html

Branson fears oil will cause biggest recession

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/r...-name_page.html

Council tax bills going up 10% in North Wales!

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main...6/ixoplead.html

Brown savaged again :)

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I saw him say it on the BBC news this morning.. declan interview..

he talked about needing to seriously look into alternative sources..

I agree.. all oil should be kept to run motorbikes.

where it should be..

I remember when I was about 13 being gutted as rumours were abound that oil was running out. I was gutted as i thought I would never get to drive a 2.8 capri :)

Now i agree saving it for my multistrada is probably wise. Be like Peers Fletcher Dervis fill your garage with the stuff

HOLA447

Whats the latest with Iran? Are we looking at any particular time frame for something potentially serious to happen? Next step? I don't suppose a few years diplomacy is on the cards?

Mr Joe.

Iran is still a few years away from having enough enriched uranium for a bomb (or two). They are building a new enrichment plant, however, that should speed things up considerably. The US military is stretched very thin at the moment (US Gov't reports) despite what Donald "Duck" Rumsfeld says. Isreal will not strike until the US is in a position to back them up. Iranian oil bourse opens in March. The US may let them play for a while (6 months?) before acting.

Edited by gone west

HOLA448

Iran is still a few years away from having enough enriched uranium for a bomb (or two). They are building a new enrichment plant, however, that should speed things up considerably. The US military is stretched very thin at the moment (US Gov't reports) despite what Donald "Duck" Rumsfeld says. Isreal will not strike until the US is in a position to back them up. Iranian oil bourse opens in March. The US may let them play for a while (6 months?) before acting.

Might tie up with the two step shuffle in Afghanistan - 3,500 UK troops going out there this Spring, UK to then be in command relieving command from the US. Several thousand US troops are apparently being removed from there and Iraq.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I think Richard Branson is a likeable bloke!

Shame he isn't running the country!!

I am sure he is a nice bloke. However as a national leader he is not too clever at putting two words together and is a very poor communicator, and of limited intelligence. In short, he is rather inarticulate....not a flaw which is desirable in a leader. It is an illusion to suppose that someone who has made a great deal of cash for himself, or who is a rich businessman, is automatically a "great" leader. This sort of shallow thinking about potential leaders is precisely the reason why we end up with entirely unsuitable people.

With all due respect.

VP

HOLA4412

I am sure he is a nice bloke. However as a national leader he is not too clever at putting two words together and is a very poor communicator, and of limited intelligence. In short, he is rather inarticulate....not a flaw which is desirable in a leader. It is an illusion to suppose that someone who has made a great deal of cash for himself, or who is a rich businessman, is automatically a "great" leader. This sort of shallow thinking about potential leaders is precisely the reason why we end up with entirely unsuitable people.

With all due respect.

VP

Didn't stop George Bush.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Doesn't the deployment of another 3500 - 4000 British troops to Afghanistan ring alarm bells for anyone else?

gruffydd:

seen any red-eyed fantail water-rabbits lately? ;)

Well it has got me thinking (see my last post), we don't take any part in Iran but act as relief to free up resources, maybe.

HOLA4415

Doesn't the deployment of another 3500 - 4000 British troops to Afghanistan ring alarm bells for anyone else?

gruffydd:

seen any red-eyed fantail water-rabbits lately? ;)

Yup. As soon as I heard it I thought something must be going on in the region.

HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness

Branson is obviously a doom mongerer [sic].

Doesn't he know that oil will never run out and that the economy is safe in the hands of Prudence Gordon?

If Branson was prepared to take a few risks, he might make something of himself, just like TTRTR.

HOLA4417

The bottom line on Branson is that love him or hate him, he quite clearly does have some ability when it comes to business and as such his comments ought to be taken seriously. Obviously he has a vested interest in oil prices not soaring but it's worth remembering that if wealthy individuals such as himself and their associated businesses take a big hit then that bodes very ill for the general economy.

I maintain my view that oil is the single greatest problem facing the world over the next 2 decades if not longer and gas is next in line.

HOLA4418

Whats the latest with Iran? Are we looking at any particular time frame for something potentially serious to happen? Next step? I don't suppose a few years diplomacy is on the cards?

Mr Joe.

I am invested in Fidelity's Defense Fund which covers implements of war and related peripherals and the price has been rising quite rapidly recently. The conflict in the Middle East may just be ratcheting up a gear--especially with Hamas getting elected and the Ayatollahs going nuke. "First strike" is now official US policy as opposed to "peace in our time" diplomacy.

HOLA4419

Branson is obviously a doom mongerer [sic].

Doesn't he know that oil will never run out and that the economy is safe in the hands of Prudence Gordon?

If Branson was prepared to take a few risks, he might make something of himself, just like TTRTR.

actually that's precisely why I'm very wary of taking Branson too seriously. A few months ago he was squealing about high oil proces and stated that he would build his own refinery - which demonstrated his ignorance of the real reason why oil prices were high IMO.

HOLA4420
Guest magnoliawalls

actually that's precisely why I'm very wary of taking Branson too seriously. A few months ago he was squealing about high oil proces and stated that he would build his own refinery - which demonstrated his ignorance of the real reason why oil prices were high IMO.

As I understand it refineries could be a lucrative business over the next few years.

Production of sweet light conventional crude has almost certainly peaked already and it is easy to refine. More refineries are needed that can cope with the sour heavy stuff. I believe tha this is why there is a "refinery bottleneck" at the same time as high prices for crude oil.

HOLA4421

With all due respect.

VP

And with all due respect, Branson has his faults but that one is so outdated its laughable. He addressed that issue a long time ago and is now quite a competent communicator. Fair enough you wouldn't give him an award for it, but without prior knowledge, you wouldn't know he'd ever had severe problems in the past just from hearing him speak.

I'm not saying he's an excellent speaker and I'm not saying he's a good enough speaker to be Prime Minister (or even an MP) but his skills are orders of magnitude better than they used to be and not noticeably lacking.

MattLG

HOLA4422

For all Branson fans. Have any of you seen 'The Rebel Billionaire'? Much better than that 'The Apprentice' and 'Dragon's Den' corporate-brainwashing shite IMO. At least Mr Virgin knows how to put on a show...

I thought that was a great little show, especially the very last episode.