House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FedupTeddiBear

New speeding fines start today

As from today, speeding fines will be based on weekly earnings - 50% for minor offences, 100% for exceeding the limit by a bigger margin and 150% for the biggest offenders. A new, "banding" system has been brought in so that if you earn a lowish annual income of £25000 p.a. and you are caught at 35 mph in a 30 mph limit, you would pay £240 instead of the current £100.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894

It is not entirely clear as to exactly how it would work. Although it will probably achieve the desired effect of a lot more revenue from the majority,won't it make it a lot more difficult for the police to determine how much to fine someone, and also opens up the potential for all sorts of jiggery pokery from the rich. How would a "retired" billionaire or the owner of a large business who does not draw a wage, be charged? No income, no fine? Does anyone know if there will be a minimum fine?

This is guidance for magistrates rather than a "new speeding fine" and only applies to cases that end up in the magistrates court, police fixed penalty notices I don't think should be affected although they might take the opportunity to increase the size of the penalty (don't know exactly how this works).

Not sure how much of a difference this should really make, band A/B offences I doubt usually end up in court,  band C offences don't require much of an income to reach the £1,000 statutory limit (maybe if you're speeding on a motorway where the £2,500 limit applies it's more of an issue)

It is not entirely clear as to exactly how it would work.

Basically they know how many middle class people have powerful luxury motors on finance, and from that they can extrapolate how much revenue they can have from that cohort because a percentage of them will be late for work because they just wanted to check one more facebook wall, or oogle at one more Instagram.

Additionally the new laws act as a deterrent of avoiding to pay - you're going to pay the fixed penalty, rather than contest the court and end up paying a much bigger fine.

8rAL97y.gif

Gone are the days when a gentleman would hold up his hand and say, yes it's a fair cop, I was speeding.

I guess out of 50 pull over's by Traffic cops, only 2 would put up their hand an admit they were wrong. The other 48 make pathetic excuses or try to be angry and shout at the police.

6 hours ago, 200p said:

Gone are the days when a gentleman would hold up his hand and say, yes it's a fair cop, I was speeding.

I guess out of 50 pull over's by Traffic cops, only 2 would put up their hand an admit they were wrong. The other 48 make pathetic excuses or try to be angry and shout at the police.

In my first year or so of driving I got caught driving at over 90 mph by a police car that pulled out of a side road, accelerating out of a 40mph zone. Owned up straight away, apologised and when asked why I was in such a hurry to get home I pulled out the house key (it's like a church key) and told him it was late and my mother was waiting outside for me to let her back in. He actually reasoned that while this was not strictly ok he was fine and commended me for my otherwise impeccable driving (I stopped quite rapidly when the lights suddenly changed to red and he told me most people at that speed would have just gone straight through). This was in the 90s when officers could act to their discretion. I was very lucky.

*it was a Peugeot 105 quicksilver if I recall correctly. 

On 4/24/2017 at 9:31 PM, FedupTeddiBear said:

As from today, speeding fines will be based on weekly earnings - 50% for minor offences, 100% for exceeding the limit by a bigger margin and 150% for the biggest offenders. A new, "banding" system has been brought in so that if you earn a lowish annual income of £25000 p.a. and you are caught at 35 mph in a 30 mph limit, you would pay £240 instead of the current £100.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894

It is not entirely clear as to exactly how it would work. Although it will probably achieve the desired effect of a lot more revenue from the majority,won't it make it a lot more difficult for the police to determine how much to fine someone, and also opens up the potential for all sorts of jiggery pokery from the rich. How would a "retired" billionaire or the owner of a large business who does not draw a wage, be charged? No income, no fine? Does anyone know if there will be a minimum fine?

actually this system is in use in most of scandinavia.

sort of agree there is scope for abuse of this system if everyone decides to go self employed and spend their wages on "stuff" that they could slightly plausibly write off as capital expenditure....so thereby company(or sole trader) does not generate profit.

On 4/25/2017 at 2:32 PM, longtomsilver said:

In my first year or so of driving I got caught driving at over 90 mph by a police car that pulled out of a side road, accelerating out of a 40mph zone. Owned up straight away, apologised and when asked why I was in such a hurry to get home I pulled out the house key (it's like a church key) and told him it was late and my mother was waiting outside for me to let her back in. He actually reasoned that while this was not strictly ok he was fine and commended me for my otherwise impeccable driving (I stopped quite rapidly when the lights suddenly changed to red and he told me most people at that speed would have just gone straight through). This was in the 90s when officers could act to their discretion. I was very lucky.

*it was a Peugeot 105 quicksilver if I recall correctly. 

speeding is not necessarily dangerous,but it depends on the raod conditions at the time,and there are frankly a lot more idiots on the road now than there used to be...usually distracted by mobile phones now than granny endlessly talking b0llocks in the passenger seat.

ok mechanical factors in the car/bike/vehicle are a big consideration,but given the advances in engine,tyre, braking and chassis design,then speed limits ought to be going UP,as it is in general easier to recover from such a scenario.