House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bronson

Broken Boiler - No Hot Water - Rights?

Evening all, 

I've been without hot water and heating for a week now. Fault reported to agent and a plumber out at the weekend to confirm faulty gubbins board or something. Meanwhile, the landlord seems to not be agreeing to fix it, or is taking his time. I seem to be stuck with the agent's word and no other contact point to push.

Is there any leverage I can legally use to move it along a bit? Threat of report to council environmental health? Claim for compensation? Sit in the agents office in my un-showered smelly state? 

Threaten to pay for it yourself and take it out of next months rent. Might focus his mind.

And add an admin fee for your inconvenience. 

Edited by GloomMonger

59 minutes ago, GloomMonger said:

Threaten to pay for it yourself and take it out of next months rent. Might focus his mind.

And add an admin fee for your inconvenience. 

That was my first thought however it seems unless you follow a specific route, I.e, getting a number of quotes, a series of letters (Shelter guidance) you open yourself up to potential problems. 

14 minutes ago, Bronson said:

That was my first thought however it seems unless you follow a specific route, I.e, getting a number of quotes, a series of letters (Shelter guidance) you open yourself up to potential problems. 

Apologies if not relevant.  Not so much instructions on how to get things repaired but what will happen if your landlord decides to evict instead of repairing.

Assured shorthold tenancies starting from 1 Oct 2015

New rules could help if you complain about repairs or conditions in your home and your landlord responds by giving you a section 21 notice.

The rules apply if your new assured shorthold tenancy started on or after 1 October 2015 or you signed a renewal contract on or after that date.

Section 21 served after you complain to your landlord

The new rules mean a court can refuse to order your eviction if all these apply:

• you complained to your landlord or letting agent in writing (by letter or email)
  • your landlord issued a section 21 notice after you complained
  • you complained to the local council because your landlord didn't take steps to fix the problem
  • the council sent your landlord a notice telling them to make improvements or that the council will carry out emergency work

The new rules may also apply if you first complained about the repairs to the council because you didn't have a postal or email address for your landlord.

Once the council serves your landlord with an improvement notice or notice requiring remedial action, the section 21 notice becomes invalid.

22 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Threaten to do it anyway. You can try and claim rent back through the small claims court but that will take a while.

A friend of mine with a young child was in this situation, boiler broke in the middle of winter and the landlord did naff all about it despite repeated requests. In the end the friend bought a boiler and paid to have it installed and then took it out of the rent. The landlord was furious but did nothing, my friend is still living there years later.

A hot water urn is a good intermediate solution while you try to get your landlord to pull his finger out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swan-SWU20L-20ltr-Urn/dp/B001YFQ4L4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1493111957&sr=8-3&keywords=hot+water+urn

They heat up pretty quickly so at least you will be able to have a bath once a day.

Thanks for the comments and advice all. Repairs were made today after a week without hot water. 

I'm going to formally note how we were unhappy with how the situation was dealt with and keep it up our sleeve should further disputes arise. 

B

Withold a portion of rent (can pay reduced rent in Germany for the time you have any problem) , and if threatened with legal action threaten back similarly that he failed to provide necessary repairs ot meet contractual requirements. If he gets nasty just dont  pay any rent and wait it be evicted. Then leave this greedy country