It's gone too far....says Corbyn !!!!

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1 minute ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Why didn't he say this as a back bencher 10 years ago?

He was saying in the 1980s that prices were silly and housing crap. There is a clip of him arguing with Maggie about it

But all that shows is he knows nothing because the hive mind here says housing were cheap back then

Also his solution isn't lower house prices his solution is more council homes

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
8 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I think labour have lost my vote. 

unless they suddenly come out with some HPC policies jezza has been a real let down

what a missed opportunity. 

So you'll vote for whom? Genuine question! I'm a Labour voter but that aside, who else has even a smidgen of decent housing policy?

2 minutes ago, willie said:

I thought it was Labour who fed the flames of HPI when they were last in power?  Gordon etc.  What was he doing then?

Being very rebellious on the back benches. I find it hilarious and depressing that many here are anti bankster, anti corporate media etc. yet buy into their arguments for why Corbyn is bad/unelectable etc. It's baffling.

Is he perfect? Is he bóllocks. Is he good? Well maybe not depending on your politics. But is he better than these craven Tories? Um, yes. Is he better than the Christian Evangelical leader of the Lib Dems? I think so.

HOLA4410

They all say something like that before they get in. Even Theresa May said something similar during her Tory leader campaign and wasn't supposed to be happy with Carney's BOE. They put her back in her box and we got more QE and an even lower interest rate. It's a governbankment and it doesn't matter what colour tie they wear.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
21 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

unless they suddenly come out with some HPC policies jezza has been a real let down

Half a million council houses and an end to Right to Buy, or Barwell's dog kennels and a Chinese landlord? Take your pick.

HOLA4414
32 minutes ago, RushRoad said:

Nothing wrong with that. They'd be less layabouts being housed on my estate in private rentals, so the demand for such rentals would fall, and so would prices.

Now if only someone would call a halt to selling council houses at a discount. I know it was Maggie's fault, but Governments have come and gone since then.

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Half a million council houses and an end to Right to Buy, or Barwell's dog kennels and a Chinese landlord? Take your pick.

Yeah, that's the point.  Lesser to two evils.

Besides, put corbyn in power and the collapse happens over night regardless.

Banker Scorched earth policy

HOLA4416

Has he said build council houses and remove HB/HTB? It sounds more like he's suggesting "affordable housing" which is a meaningless scheme to ask developers to promise to sell houses cheap. It's unquantifiable, can't be measured or enforced.

HOLA4417

While I prefer Corbyn talking about house prices compared to him not talking about the house prices, it does look like a last minute pre-election spin.  Together with minimum wage and triple lock.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, RentingForever said:

Nice of him to notice.

At what point do you think they twigged it was an issue? Ten times average wage? Fifteen?

PMQs: May and Corbyn on housing prices and mortgages - 7 September 2016

The Labour leader challenges the prime minister on people being able to afford to buy houses.

Jeremy Corbyn questioned a government commitment to replace council houses which are sold off. Theresa May told him his figures were wrong and that the government had "delivered on the one-for-one replacement on the right to buy".

All six of Mr Corbyn's questions at PMQs were on housing, at the first session since the summer recess. BBC

HOLA4419

What does he think about HPI?

The Labour leader also said that inexorably rising house prices were a sign of economic weakness rather than strength.

“We are running an economy where we pretend that rising property values equals economic growth. It’s nonsense,” he said.

“The rise in value of a stack of bricks and mortar, steel and wood and glass is just that, bricks and mortar, steel and wood and glass. It has the same intrinsic value.

“Instead we have this house price inflation which is claimed to be a good thing. It’s not actually. But there is of course a buy-in to those who own a place.”

He added: “I own a house, well it’s a shared ownership.” He then joked: “Me and the bank share it – a mortgage it’s called…I don’t want you to get the wrong idea.”

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8856880

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, RushRoad said:

He was saying in the 1980s that prices were silly and housing crap. There is a clip of him arguing with Maggie about it

Good, because you what, back in the '80s, before the crash, he was dead right: housing was expensive and crap. If he has been consistent in calling this out when it's a problem (and he has been one of the few politicians to raise the issue in the house in recent years), then that makes me think more highly of him.

1 hour ago, RushRoad said:

But all that shows is he knows nothing because the hive mind here says housing were cheap back then

No, I don't remember reading anyone here claiming that houses were cheap in the '80s. There was of course a crash at the end, but it took a while for price-to-earnings to come down to something sensible (there's a graph on the front page).

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

What are you hoping for?

I'm sorry to say I don't hear much from Corbyn on the radio (does he get more coverage on the TV?), so I don't know what he means by "building homes that people can actually afford to live in". I am hoping that he means council houses, rather than bungs to construction companies to subsidise houses sold on the open market, but which will just turn out to boost profits rather than alter prices to the end users.

I think that irrespective of whether there is a real shortage of housing, giving housing benefit to landlords in the PRS is the wrong approach to helping those people in society, who will always be present, who are unable to provide housing for themselves. That is particularly true in the middle of a house price bubble, and at a time when benefits bills are getting very high.

Re-building a stock of council houses is a genuine investment for the future, which makes both financial and social sense to me.

HOLA4423
18 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Hard at work parroting focus group election concerns.

He was a crotchety old misfit on the back benches, and he doesn't give two hoots about what his colleagues think of him. I'm prepared to entertain the idea that he might be a sycophant to the real power behind his throne (his supporters in the Labour party at large) however, my naive guess is that he would just say what he thinks, and everyone else be damned.

Have other forum members been following him more closely than I, and if so, could they give a more informed picture of his character?

Triple lock is a bit of an odd one, though: that does sound like pandering to the electorate.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, RushRoad said:

Which would lead directly to lower house prices by taking potentially millions of people out of the private rented sector where they are supported through housing benefit instead.

BTL would die.