House Price Crash Forum

Beer and Peanuts better than sports drinks

HOLA441
3 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

Because people don't think and when they don't think they act selfishly and are hopelessly optimistic.

I believe that you individually feel that way and I also believe that if you ask random people in the street if quality of life is more important than longevity, they will say yes.

But if you ask them if they would rather live with fantastic quality of life till 60 then cark it without seeing their children and grandchildren grow up I think most people would tell you they would rather take their chances of living a bit longer in reasonable health.

As I've already said - this is a pointless statement - as it won't happen. 

HOLA442
12 minutes ago, ccc said:

As I've already said - this is a pointless statement - as it won't happen. 

You made a statement: "Who cares how long you live. It's the quality that's important imo. As long as its a reasonable level. 60+ or so."

I pointed out how 60 years old might no longer be considered a 'lifetime' and how a large number of people might care how long they live and why.

If that's pointless, then I'm guilty as charged.

HOLA443
9 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

You made a statement: "Who cares how long you live. It's the quality that's important imo. As long as its a reasonable level. 60+ or so."

I pointed out how 60 years old might no longer be considered a 'lifetime' and how a large number of people might care how long they live and why.

If that's pointless, then I'm guilty as charged.

I know what you are saying - I'm just pointing out any health or grandkids 'choice' given at age 60 is purely hypothetical and doesn't really mean anything in real life.

As i said the only real example of this is people retiring at that age and choosing to live 10 miles from their grandkids or 1000 miles from their grandkids. A huge amount (If they have the £ to make that choice) choose option B !

This is real and not some purely hypothetical - you're aged 60 and you have health choice A or B scenario.

And yes it comes from mainly selfish reasons. And i think that's generally a good thing. You only get one life. Go for it if you want to is my thoughts on it.

I definitely agree there is clearly a strong desire from most people to watch their offspring grow up. However i don't think it's nearly as strong in reality as you think. Selfishness generally trump's all. And i don't think that's always necessarily a bad thing. 

Anyway - we can agree to disagree on this one !

Archived