House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Landlady, 47, who crammed FOUR bedsits into a garden shed charging tenants £2,800-a-month to live in ‘slum’ conditions is warned she faces jail unless she repays £235,000

Also, What's the actual crime or reason she has to repay the money?

Maybe it becomes fraudulent if the property is sub-standard or illegal ? I should read Fail articles, they never deliver the relevant facts.

Double bonus for the tenants, I would imagine- if they waited until the council arrived to demolish the illegal extension, they would have counted as homeless, obliging the council to house them, I think?

Anyway, an artificial shortage of a commodity allows spivs and criminals to prosper. In other news, bears defecate in areas with a high tree population.

11 hours ago, fru-gal said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4432196/Landlady-crammed-FOUR-bedsits-illegal-garden-extension.html

Does anyone know what happens if she doesn't pay and goes to jail? Can her house be confiscated via "proceeds of crime" or can she just serve 2 years and get away with it?

I wouldn't want her sent to jail - it costs the taxpayer a fortune.  

Hit them hard in their pockets, and splash it all over the news, so that others get the wind up.  

Once or twice I've watched some 'slumlord' prog. and councils do seem extraordinarily soft/lax with some of these people.  More than once chance to fix substandard accommodation, friendly chats with them - you can't help wondering about brown envelopes.  Councils  need to get a lot tougher - confiscation of property after a fair warning and still nothing done wouldn't come amiss.  

It was 20 years ago now but a daughter was in a student house in Nottingham with several sub standard features, including dangerously inadequate wiring.  I was very impressed with the council bod who gave the landlady  6 weeks to sort it all, or they'd do it themselves and charge her.  She was livid with my d and her friends, who'd asked her several times to fix things before involving the council.  She literally screamed at them - but she did get the work done. 

Tip of the iceberg and the councils know it. They turn a blind eye else they'll have to house them.  Catch 22. 

40 years of incoherent housing/immigration policies from all political parties and lazy economic policies based on constant HPI.  

Edited by bomberbrown

'What makes matters worse is her connection to the estate agency - she knew the law and was intentionally exploiting people who find it hard enough to find property to rent at affordable prices.'

That really does make things worse because we all know that a connection to an estate agency is generally something that gives a person a real moral compass. As if! Letting agents EXIST to intentionally exploit people who find it hard enough to find property to rent at affordable prices.

1 hour ago, bomberbrown said:

Tip of the iceberg and the councils know it. They turn a blind eye else they'll have to house them.  Catch 22. 

40 years of incoherent housing/immigration policies from all political parties and lazy economic policies based on constant HPI.  

No. 40 years of the local council employing large numbers of fellow countrymen who are in in the scam, bringing relatives over.

Malik, 47, admitted renting out the horrific rooms at a hearing on April 12 and was ordered to pay £235,000 to the council.

Hopefully that £235k will be mainly invested into new rented council housing.

If only more of this type of housing was available then there would be no market whatsoever for these shacks.

On 22/04/2017 at 8:32 AM, bomberbrown said:

+1