House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nicklaus

Section 21 - does it have to be last date of rental period?

Currently on a statutory periodic tenancy following an AST and received section 21 yesterday as landlord wants the property empty for a while to do some work apparently... The date requesting possession was 5th July - which is the last day of my rental period. 

Letting agent contacts me again today to say that the landlord wants possession sooner and issues another section 21 with a new date of 20th June - two months from today.

If the landlord seeks a possession order based on the 20th June date, is that valid or will it be denied as it's not the end of a rental period?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that once on a rolling tenancy they only have to give you 2 months notice at any time.

The one tiny advantage you get for paying £100 every year and signing a fresh 1 year contract is that slightly longer security of tenure, although even then I'm not sure that I trust it most contracts have some really 'hand wavy' terms which don't give me any great confidence they are really better than a statutory periodic tenancy.

I am a tenant, and my tenancy agreement is almost up, I havent heard from the letting agent who did my last one

Is it to the tenants advantage not to have a new one or to the landlords advantage?