House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Theresa May - expenses distraction event?

As far as I know this story was broken by Michael Crick, though Farage was the first person I heard it from on his LBC slot.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-general-election-expenses-scandal-distract-schedule-mps-tory-party-paul-nuttall-david-a7690106.html

To me, calling an Election now (whilst I support the idea in general terms) does have the hint of a Distraction/ Cover Up and some questions do need to be asked? 

What did May know about these potential prosecutions for Election expenses fraud before calling an election?

Was any undue influence used in either determining or trying to change timescales of the CPs?

What penalty should the Conservative Party pay, given that the blame will probably be lumped in hapless agents and that the electoral consequences have been neutralised by call a General Election?

Which senior Conservatives if any knew or endorsed the alledges election fraud?

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Not an entirely valid conspiracy theory.

Conservative MPs from the last election in the contentious seats still have the ongoing investigations hanging over them.

Either pulling out of this contest or staying in can become a potentially damaging local issue.

I don't think it buries anything. Quite the contrary.

And the answer to all your questions is, of course, 'no wrongdoing'.

On 19 April 2017 at 1:48 PM, copydude said:

Not an entirely valid conspiracy theory.

Conservative MPs from the last election in the contentious seats still have the ongoing investigations hanging over them.

Either pulling out of this contest or staying in can become a potentially damaging local issue.

I don't think it buries anything. Quite the contrary.

I think you're missing the point.

The options were to either face that issue as a single topic in a small number of potentially very damaging by elections (risking a sizeable dent in the conservative majority), or have it buried as just another talking point in a wider general election campaign (where they should actually end up gaining seats overall) 

Hmmmm . . . I see the possible damage to the small majority. But now I'm wondering about the distraction value, talking point or no.

The polls for Labour are extremely ominous. Rolf Harris could stand for the Conservatives and get elected.

A much bigger distraction may be that the Leave campaign's expenses are now being investigated by the Electoral Commission.

On 22 April 2017 at 9:41 PM, copydude said:

A much bigger distraction may be that the Leave campaign's expenses are now being investigated by the Electoral Commission.

I don't think that investigation will have anywhere near the same impact as forced by-election for marginal conservative seats would have.

Even if they find there were fraudulent expenses for the leave campaign-  how will it play out? The Conservatives will still be for Brexit, Labour will still be for Brexit. The only possible difference is the Lib Dems may gain a couple more seats.

One of Labour's many issues in the upcoming election is the fact that there's not enough to differentiate them from the Conservatives (including the key issue of the day - Brexit). That cretin Corbyn will lead them to their worst showing in decades as a result

I think most people have forgotten about the expenses stuff. It won't even make the news, probably - unless a really big figure is implicated.