House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

FTSE taking a tumble...

But rejoice the Pound is up, it will be cheaper to go on holiday.

Euro markets are down too, albeit not as much.

Always best not to think what 2% off your pension pot equates to.

16 minutes ago, Unbowed said:

But rejoice the Pound is up, it will be cheaper to go on holiday.

Euro markets are down too, albeit not as much.

Always best not to think what 2% off your pension pot equates to.

When thinking about the 2% down...it's best to remember the 50% up due to money printing and theft of workers/savings money

44 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Quite oddly the MSM are talking about the £ going up.

The two are inversely correlated. FTSE is heavily dominated by resource stocks too.

15 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Quite oddly the MSM are talking about the £ going up.

No negative word about the economy will be uttered by the Mail, the Telegraph, Sun etc.before June 8th.

Having reviewed my meager investments they are down over £1000 since that May woman went for a walk and decided to announced a snap election.  We are always being told that markets don't like uncertainty and that certainly seems to be the case here.

18 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

When thinking about the 2% down...it's best to remember the 50% up due to money printing and theft of workers/savings money

How is 50% UP a theft of savings when equities are savings? 

3 hours ago, dougless said:

Having reviewed my meager investments they are down over £1000 since that May woman went for a walk and decided to announced a snap election.  We are always being told that markets don't like uncertainty and that certainly seems to be the case here.

Given the near certainty of a majority Conservative govt pursuing a more extreme variant of the same bankster-worshipping, immigrant-friendly, free market agenda as before you'd have thought the all-seeing markets would have been up several hundred points rather than down.

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

Given the near certainty of a majority Conservative govt pursuing a more extreme variant of the same bankster-worshipping, immigrant-friendly, free market agenda as before you'd have thought the all-seeing markets would have been up several hundred points rather than down.

In this "globa free market" me think the US has told the tories exactly whats coming....

4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

In this "globa free market" me think the US has told the tories exactly whats coming....

I think this might be close to the truth.The Fed is tightening into a recession.Insane.Unless you wanted to have your crash now?.Trump just in.May gets in with five years to play with.Every single tool i look at for cycles is flashing red,and i mean red.Mall foot traffic in the US off a cliff.Auto loans rolling over.Construction falling.Real earnings falling.Over here savings ratio gone,spare cash falling.The leverage is so large just a small fall might/will kick off a real crash.Central banks missed out a whole rate tightening cycle so we might be about to see the normal business cycle roll over alongside a massive balance sheet event of debt deflation.Im convinced they will print like nobody can even imagine after this event,perhaps just in time for a reflation to be kicking in two years before they need to face the public again.

People buying property now in large parts of the country are going to get hammered IMO.This election is about brexit,but its also about the government knowing the "event" is very fast approaching.They are even talking of getting shot of RBS "at a loss",more like before it goes down again.

1 hour ago, durhamborn said:

I think this might be close to the truth.The Fed is tightening into a recession.Insane.Unless you wanted to have your crash now?.Trump just in.May gets in with five years to play with.Every single tool i look at for cycles is flashing red,and i mean red.Mall foot traffic in the US off a cliff.Auto loans rolling over.Construction falling.Real earnings falling.Over here savings ratio gone,spare cash falling.The leverage is so large just a small fall might/will kick off a real crash.Central banks missed out a whole rate tightening cycle so we might be about to see the normal business cycle roll over alongside a massive balance sheet event of debt deflation.Im convinced they will print like nobody can even imagine after this event,perhaps just in time for a reflation to be kicking in two years before they need to face the public again.

People buying property now in large parts of the country are going to get hammered IMO.This election is about brexit,but its also about the government knowing the "event" is very fast approaching.They are even talking of getting shot of RBS "at a loss",more like before it goes down again.

By way of corroboration, it looks very much like the IMF has thrown up the Bat signal and is now instructing Western govts to abandon their fiscal consolidation efforts altogether and spend like billy-o again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/19/austerity-five-years-belt-tightening-imf-says-rich-world-has/

Austerity is over as governments across the rich world increased spending last year and plan to keep their wallets open for the foreseeable future.

After five years of belt tightening, the International Monetary Fund says the era of spending cuts that followed the financial crisis is now at an end.

“Advanced economies eased their fiscal stance by one-fifth of 1pc of GDP in 2016, breaking a five-year trend of gradual fiscal consolidation,” said the IMF in its fiscal monitor.

“Their aggregate fiscal stance is expected to remain broadly neutral in 2017 as well as in the following years."

How many of the so-called 'Austerity' programmes run by Western governments resulted in a paying down of the outstanding national debt?  I'd be surprised if many even resulted in an appreciable reduction in the yearly deficit.

'Austerity' as practiced by Western governments was only ever an excuse to shift government spending from the general public to the insiders.

2 hours ago, durhamborn said:

That's a good insight ... I think May is very conscious of how Brown completely screwed it up when he bottled out of calling an election after he was crowned PM, just before things went bad which destroyed his chances of re-election. 

If he had went for an election when he had the chance, he'd have got back with roughly the same majority and been safe until well after the 2008 crash when he would have had a better chance of getting elected a second time.

May sees the chance to cut and run now, and be safe in power until 2022 which will give time for things to recover (maybe).  Come 2022 election time, she can blame the 2018/19 crash on Brexit and point out that she didn't vote for it herself, but was carrying out 'her duty' to see it through on behalf of the electorate.

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Let's hope it's not WW3!:o

Seriously though what would a major conflict do to the markets? War is always a good time for some people to make money, they say.

23 minutes ago, frankief said:

Let's hope it's not WW3!:o

Seriously though what would a major conflict do to the markets? War is always a good time for some people to make money die a horrible death, they say.

As I mentioned on another thread the FTSE 100 has taken a bigger battering than the 250. Biggest spanking to resources such as  Shell B, international not domestic. Indeed some of the domestic stocks have actually risen...Taylor Wimpey on both days. And the 250 was uo today.

Lloyds Bank also rallying 2.35% today as the UKs main domestic bank.

Edited by crashmonitor

FTSE all share only down by 0.27%. This is more accurate than the FTSE-100.

Always look at the NASDAQ (up 0.48%) and the SP500 (up 0.05%) - where the US leads, the UK generally follows. No harm in watching your stops more closely, as the summer months are generally weaker.

This, that, I would still like to hear why last month an election was unthinkable but this month we're having one. Something must have pushed her into it. The only obvious reason is the thing about the election expenses last time maybe losing her majority. Either that or the Illuminati sent her a WhatsApp. 

16 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

This, that, I would still like to hear why last month an election was unthinkable but this month we're having one. Something must have pushed her into it. The only obvious reason is the thing about the election expenses last time maybe losing her majority. Either that or the Illuminati sent her a WhatsApp. 

Strangely the election expenses investigation came to my mind as one of the reasons why May has called a GE. It looked as though it would run through to 2020 and possibly trigger a lot of nasty by-elections which could potentially have reduced this governments majority to nothing. This decision looks designed to kill that problem stone dead as the electoral commission can hardly call for new constituency elections based on the 2015 results when the incumbent MPs might have been re-elected with new mandates in 2017.

Edited by stormymonday_2011