Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Close to giving up on Twitter


pl1

Recommended Posts

I've used Twitter probably for the last year or so. At first I thought it was pretty good. Ever wondered what your favourite celebrity was doing in the last half hour? Well now you can find out, most are on there. Want to have a disproportionate access to a Gen X and lower MP's time? Well now you can. But after a while I noticed a problem (well several). The main issue is the way it is designed...

The whole concept is based around "follow" which turns out is really it's achilles heel. Basically there exists two giant echo chambers or camps where people follow who they agree with & fill their timelines with self-confirmation bias rubbish. There also exists a propensity or type of person: left-wing leaning, progressive, Millenial Remainier type. The two camps also have a propensity to be at the extreme end of the scale. One camp is open border pro EU, all refugess are refugess & all are welcome, there is no issue (the larger camp) & the other camp is "shut the f*cking borders & get my MRE we are full!". They are smaller in number possibly due to the prior camp having more Millenial, college type, bumming about type people who can afford it more time. Occasionaly one camp member wonders over to the other & is met with a hailstorm of vitrioic abuse the like of which you've never seen before (the "progressives" are the worst offenders for this but it happens on both sides).

If someone doesn't agree with what you say they will twist what you say or expand it to fit their extreme narrative. If you say controlled migration is good this will be twisted into "the NHS will collapse without EU citizens you vile f*ckwit". You get the picture. It is seemingly impossible to have polite discord of any kind. The block button is abused by all (even MP's) if you say something they even remotely agree with.

The best Tweet I ever saw was by someone who said "Twitter should rename the block button to "create my own private echo chamber"".

There really is life left in boards like HPC. I mean that most sincerely. Twitter has a lot of growning up to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The BBC tweet feeds seem full of SWJ's & pro-islamist Judeo/Christian bashers from what I can make out. A few try to put forward a different viewpoint but they often get drowned out, often get abuse. I wonder if there are rooms of people monitoring those feeds ready to swamp anyone who dares speak out against whatever agenda there appears to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The BBC tweet feeds seem full of SWJ's & pro-islamist Judeo/Christian bashers from what I can make out. A few try to put forward a different viewpoint but they often get drowned out, often get abuse. I wonder if there are rooms of people monitoring those feeds ready to swamp anyone who dares speak out against whatever agenda there appears to be.

How many Twitter handles does the BBC have?? Just on news it has BBC News UK, BBC News World, BBC News America, BBC News England, BBC News Wales.... and on and on it goes. Weirdly the UK news seems to stop at bank holidays or after 5pm GMT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I steer clear of all that SJW stuff. So I think it depends what you use Twitter for.

As you say, it's excellent for engaging with MPs and bringing about changes you want in society, such as influencing the actions of corporations.

I wouldn't be without it. I very rarely read Tweets and in 5 years have probably RTd less than 50 times, but I do create content that gets lots of RTs and generates lots of comments, which is good and free PR, very valuable.

The biggest problem is Twitter doing stuff behind the scenes, such as regulating who sees your tweets, and filling timelines with promoted tweets, which is having a negative impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pl1 said:

How many Twitter handles does the BBC have?? Just on news it has BBC News UK, BBC News World, BBC News America, BBC News England, BBC News Wales.... and on and on it goes. Weirdly the UK news seems to stop at bank holidays or after 5pm GMT.

And all the radio stations - both national and regional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LiveinHope said:

I steer clear of all that SJW stuff. So I think it depends what you use Twitter for.

As you say, it's excellent for engaging with MPs and bringing about changes you want in society, such as influencing the actions of corporations.

I wouldn't be without it. I very rarely read Tweets and in 5 years have probably RTd less than 50 times, but I do create content that gets lots of RTs and generates lots of comments, which is good and free PR, very valuable.

The biggest problem is Twitter doing stuff behind the scenes, such as regulating who sees your tweets, and filling timelines with promoted tweets, which is having a negative impact.

Difficult to avoid it as it tends to be trending a lot. I always find it funny that some UK anti Brexit trend happens with all the SJW's jumping on board or North Korea trends then a few hours later the biggest trend #bakeoff.  It shows the attention span. Usually though the trend is one outrage to another outrage. Usually someone who said something non-PC. They get brutalised before the mob moves onto the next target.  Always reminds me of kids playing football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twitter is losing money at a rate of $457 million per year, which is almost exactly £1 Million/day or £700 per second.

Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter, so they manage to lose just over 0.1 p every time you tweet.

I have to wonder how long that will continue - would anyone pay to tweet?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habeas Domus said:

Twitter is losing money at a rate of $457 million per year, which is almost exactly £1 Million/day or £700 per second.

Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter, so they manage to lose just over 0.1 p every time you tweet.

I have to wonder how long that will continue - would anyone pay to tweet?

 

 

Fascinating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hotairmail said:

I thought Twitter had died. I used it for a while and for a while I enjoyed but ultimately I found it deeply unsatisfying. Distracting, superficial, it doesn't suit how I want to think or conduct discourse. Everybody out to convert, to write not read, to teach not learn.

Designed for people with the zero attention span and no capacity for analysis.

As you say no discourse. Just a lot of people shouting at the top of their voices

You would get more information and reasoned debate on the average online football forum which is saying something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Designed for people with the zero attention span and no capacity for analysis.

As you say no discourse. Just a lot of people shouting at the top of their voices

You would get more information and reasoned debate on the average online football forum which is saying something

I'm considering stopping all forms of social media and even not using forums. Just concentrating on self improvement through exercise, eating food I love and working on projects that will give me a future. Basically using my time much more effectively as all that time wasted 'surfing' online will be spent doing something useful and fulfilling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, developer said:

I'm considering stopping all forms of social media and even not using forums. Just concentrating on self improvement through exercise, eating food I love and working on projects that will give me a future. Basically using my time much more effectively as all that time wasted 'surfing' online will be spent doing something useful and fulfilling.

I think I know where you are coming from. There is evidence that the brain finds computer activity like this addictive, because it gives a little dopamine reward when you rapidly context switch, almost like how playing a computer game might.. Quick, click, a message has arrived. Ooh look: a desktop notification has come through.Ping: someone's tweeted. I'll just check my ebay watchlist.

The real world should be more attractive and satisfying. I would like to think that I could read lots of books, and study, learn new skills, and improve myself, rather than idling time away on the Internet, but I somehow know that I will not be able to break away unless someone disconnects me, or I move to a remote island. It's disconcerting really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Millaise said:

The real world should be more attractive and satisfying. I would like to think that I could read lots of books, and study, learn new skills, and improve myself, rather than idling time away on the Internet, but I somehow know that I will not be able to break away unless someone disconnects me, or I move to a remote island. It's disconcerting really.

It's a form of escapism. Some people do exercise as a form of escapism, which is probably much more healthy to be honest. I'm considering becoming one of those 'exercise freak' type people who exercise a lot. I do like swimming :P Might just do that 5 times a week and go to the gym a lot as an alternative to surfing the net. Then when I get on the computer I'll make sure it's only for work purposes. Easier said than done of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't stand celebrity culture and I don't admire anyone enough to want to know what they're up to at any one point so I guess that rules me out for that aspect.

The other side (with my very, very limited experience) is virtue signalling by facist leftists coupled with a few tradional fascists. Not interested in that, I'll have a read of the Daily Mail comments (most uprated and downrated) to get my fill of that sort of intellectual debate.

Personally, I have no desire to make my opinions amplified (probably to be shouted down by intolerant lefties anyway) or let anybody else know what I'm up to.

So, out on all levels :P. I'm sure it has its benefits though, not my bag at all. Even FB is a push for me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The "echo chamber" accusation is often leveled against social media, but how is this any different from any other walk of life? Who reads newspapers full of SJW/alt-right stuff they hate, couples up with somebody who has completely different values from them when it comes to money/sex/fun/family, has a friendship group consisting of a representative cross-section of the whole of humanity in terms of age/gender/ethnicity/nationality/religion/disability etc? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I'm aware it's not compulsory & you choose who you follow. 

If you're not interested in their tweets or links don't follow them. 

It's a fantastic way to collate output from people/businesses without trawling through other forms of media & it's ridiculous that it's entirely free of charge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Little Frank said:

As far as I'm aware it's not compulsory & you choose who you follow. 

If you're not interested in their tweets or links don't follow them. 

It's a fantastic way to collate output from people/businesses without trawling through other forms of media & it's ridiculous that it's entirely free of charge

I agree, and I'm happy it's free of charge.

I'm told Instagram is 'where it's at' among the current young generation, however.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/04/2017 at 6:46 PM, The Masked Tulip said:

The BBC tweet feeds seem full of SWJ's & pro-islamist Judeo/Christian bashers from what I can make out. A few try to put forward a different viewpoint but they often get drowned out, often get abuse. I wonder if there are rooms of people monitoring those feeds ready to swamp anyone who dares speak out against whatever agenda there appears to be.

Odd, because whenever they have comments on a news article the responses quite often (although not always) lean in the other direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/04/2017 at 10:50 PM, developer said:

I'm considering stopping all forms of social media and even not using forums. Just concentrating on self improvement through exercise, eating food I love and working on projects that will give me a future. Basically using my time much more effectively as all that time wasted 'surfing' online will be spent doing something useful and fulfilling.

Wise man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.