House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

The house that was built for £70k

50k to build that?

And she just took a punt for 20k and luckily was granted planning permission? Hmmmm.....

This comment caught my eye:

"The banking system must be scared indeed if they are now bribing the press to support their lost cause. We are entering a new age of Default. People are skint because of Banks. Now the worm is turning, and there is a lower moral prerogative than ever before to repay one's debts - especially unsecured debts. The best advice to payers of interest right now is "keep up the repayments if the rate is fixed, and low" and "default if it's over the odds". The banks have had nearly a DECADE to pass on the base rate to the customer - and never got anywhere near - on purpose. Now the time has come for the borrowers themselves to punish them."

Come on, which one of you was it?

40 minutes ago, WinstonSmith said:

50k to build that?

And she just took a punt for 20k and luckily was granted planning permission? Hmmmm.....

This comment caught my eye:

"The banking system must be scared indeed if they are now bribing the press to support their lost cause. We are entering a new age of Default. People are skint because of Banks. Now the worm is turning, and there is a lower moral prerogative than ever before to repay one's debts - especially unsecured debts. The best advice to payers of interest right now is "keep up the repayments if the rate is fixed, and low" and "default if it's over the odds". The banks have had nearly a DECADE to pass on the base rate to the customer - and never got anywhere near - on purpose. Now the time has come for the borrowers themselves to punish them."

Come on, which one of you was it?

My first thoughts ,but looking at the photos it`s more than doable as she only had to add 4-5 feet to the existing structure add a roof and front and there`s the shell probably £20k or so for that 

Then look at the brick work all of it looks reclaimed ,but i suspect there was quite a bit of free labour/and mates rates  involved 

Edited by long time lurking

Good for her, but how did she do it so cheaply?

Is it some sort of kit house?  If so would love to find out which one, looked into the self build route before, but even a cheaper kit seems way more expensive than that.

23 minutes ago, reddog said:

Good for her, but how did she do it so cheaply?

Is it some sort of kit house?  If so would love to find out which one, looked into the self build route before, but even a cheaper kit seems way more expensive than that.

As i said above the expensive part was already there

Raithby Reservoir was a disused plot of land in Louth, Lincolnshire, before Annie snapped it up,

How did she get planning? Because there was already a structure there?

Its a nice story until later on they give the usual BS, its worth 200k ******** and is rented on air bnb.

40 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

How did she get planning? Because there was already a structure there?

Its a nice story until later on they give the usual BS, its worth 200k ******** and is rented on air bnb.

Good point, but you would have almost thought it was easier / cheaper to erect an off the shelf kit, than retro fit into an existing concrete structure which would have to be a bespoke design.

I can understand land being cheap in Lincolnshire, but still seems very cheap overall.  Like you say, maybe almost completely free labour?

The glass and the doors alone you're talking thousands. No chance this cost 50k.

My point about the planning is that she must have had some inside knowledge that she'd get it. Daddy's friend in the planning department maybe?

54 minutes ago, reddog said:

Good point, but you would have almost thought it was easier / cheaper to erect an off the shelf kit, than retro fit into an existing concrete structure which would have to be a bespoke design.

The article did state that she learned to do scale drawings and blueprints herself. I am not sure how that works as surely knowledge of architecture is required to be able to do that. As a Mail story I have my doubts it is the whole truth but for a exceptional person, it could be true.

45 minutes ago, WinstonSmith said:

The glass and the doors alone you're talking thousands. No chance this cost 50k.

My point about the planning is that she must have had some inside knowledge that she'd get it. Daddy's friend in the planning department maybe?

Brown field site with an existing  structure is not that difficult especially when you are building on the original foot print 

As for the 50k i would suspect there was a lot of free labour ,as i also said look at the brick they look reclaimed perhaps already on the site ? windows and a roof  you have a shell

4 minutes ago, doahh said:

The article did state that she learned to do scale drawings and blueprints herself. I am not sure how that works as surely knowledge of architecture is required to be able to do that. As a Mail story I have my doubts it is the whole truth but for a exceptional person, it could be true.

There`s plenty of free software out there for doing that its not that hard ,building reg`s would be the hard part but a helpful building officer would supply all the advice as they went along for nothing 

The stress loading for the roof were probably  done by the supplier