House Price Crash Forum

BoE investigates 'terrifying' rise in borrowing to fund new car purchases

HOLA441

UK car sales recover as showrooms reopen after lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2021/may/05/uk-car-sales-stock-markets-ftse-eurozone-us-jobs-business-live?page=with:block-60922d358f08ee11c7549701#block-60922d358f08ee11c7549701

More millions bouncing about in their pointless vanity crossover / mini suv's. Although given the increasing lack of money to mend pot holes, they may have a use after all 

After a torrid 12 months, car sales in the UK are finally on the road to recovery.

Data due this morning will show that car sales jumped last month as dealers in England and Wales reopened their doors, following the easing of lockdown measures in mid-April which allowed non-essential shops to reopen.

Preliminary data from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders are expected to show a 30-fold year-on-year increase in car sales for last month.

That’s compared to the nadir of the first lockdown; sales plunged by 97% in April 2020 to just 4,321 new vehicles, the worst month since shortly after the second world war.

This April, car showrooms were back open again (from Monday April 12) - rather than relying on online sales methods such as click-and-collect.

As Reuters explains:

Last month, customers were able to buy cars in person from April 12 in England whilst delivery, click and collect and online services also facilitated purchases. Plants have continued to operate with COVID safe measures in place.

Sales stood at around 141,000 vehicles last month, still down 13% on the 2010-2019 monthly average, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said on Wednesday.

However, that would still leave sales below their level in April 2019, when there were 161,064 new car registrations.

Clearly demand is still being affected by the pandemic, with some people working from home rather than the office, furloughed, or having lost their job in the last year.

And this rising demand may put more pressure on manufacturers, who are already struggling to source components such as semiconductors, as supply chains feel the strain.

Last month both Mini and Jaguar Land Rover temporarily shut down some production, because of the shortage of computer chips.

Yesterday, Germany’s Infineon warned that the global chip shortage could mean 2.5m lost car sales in the first half of 2021.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
50 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

1.2 million vehicles on roads here in Northern Ireland. 4500 EVs and only 17 rapid chargers with 50% not functioning at any moment(50kw max). There's zero hope of us getting rid of ICE cars by the current targets. 

HOLA444
40 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

1.2 million vehicles on roads here in Northern Ireland. 4500 EVs and only 17 rapid chargers with 50% not functioning at any moment(50kw max). There's zero hope of us getting rid of ICE cars by the current targets. 

Buy more EV’s, and more chargers will be installed. 

Or looks like Ni will look like Cuba but with bad weather in 2050, everyone trying to keep 20-40 year old cars on the road! 

HOLA445

Volkswagen Group Doubles Tesla’s Rolling 12-Month European EV Sales

Data to be released this week will reveal that the Volkswagen Group hasn’t just overtakeb Tesla TSLA for the Number One slot in European battery electric vehicle (EV) sales, but has already streaked away

image.png.bf642de270d48e4dacd53a6cb931030c.png

But Tesla hasn’t just been swamped by the Volkswagen Group, even though the mainstream OEMs have struggled with chip shortages and Covid-19 lockdowns.

The Renault/Nissan alliance, which was the long-time European EV leader before Tesla, rolled past the American company with 137,500 sales.

Hyundai/Kia posted 112,800 sales and Stellantis claimed 105,700. While Stellantis has 14 brands, only four of them (Peugeot, Citroen, DS and Fiat) offer electric vehicles.

So successful has the Volkswagen Group been so far this year that every fourth EV sold in Europe in 2021 has been one of theirs; either a Seat, a Skoda, a Volkswagen, an Audi or a Porsche.

It owns 24.5% of Europe’s EV sales from January to April this year, followed by Stellantis (17.1%), Renault/Nissan (12.5%) and Tesla (11.9%), with Hyundai/Kia (11.7%) nipping at Tesla’s heels

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltaylor/2021/05/24/volkswagen-group-doubles-teslas-rolling-12-month-european-ev-sales/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

HOLA446
HOLA447
14 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Volkswagen Group Doubles Tesla’s Rolling 12-Month European EV Sales

Data to be released this week will reveal that the Volkswagen Group hasn’t just overtakeb Tesla TSLA for the Number One slot in European battery electric vehicle (EV) sales, but has already streaked away

image.png.bf642de270d48e4dacd53a6cb931030c.png

But Tesla hasn’t just been swamped by the Volkswagen Group, even though the mainstream OEMs have struggled with chip shortages and Covid-19 lockdowns.

The Renault/Nissan alliance, which was the long-time European EV leader before Tesla, rolled past the American company with 137,500 sales.

Hyundai/Kia posted 112,800 sales and Stellantis claimed 105,700. While Stellantis has 14 brands, only four of them (Peugeot, Citroen, DS and Fiat) offer electric vehicles.

So successful has the Volkswagen Group been so far this year that every fourth EV sold in Europe in 2021 has been one of theirs; either a Seat, a Skoda, a Volkswagen, an Audi or a Porsche.

It owns 24.5% of Europe’s EV sales from January to April this year, followed by Stellantis (17.1%), Renault/Nissan (12.5%) and Tesla (11.9%), with Hyundai/Kia (11.7%) nipping at Tesla’s heels

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltaylor/2021/05/24/volkswagen-group-doubles-teslas-rolling-12-month-european-ev-sales/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Tesla sell every car that rolls out their factories that they can make.  Picture will change when Berlin opens to supply Europe.  Tesla has a production limitations, not a sales or demand limitations. Globally Tesla still out sell everyone. 

also we know well the true picture wont be known for Q2 until july because Telsa wont ship to Europe until end of quarter, June.  In Feb Tesla was losing the European BEV sales race, in March it won it, and the whole quarter too. 

2021 is still VW's only chance to claim Global no.1 BEV maker, if they are lucky. 

The reason they wont win is "me". I'm a prime VW ID4 customer, but, dont want it, slow, old tech, and Telsa money spec matched. Sure you can get it cheaper than a Tesla Model y if you want to buy a poverty spec base model. 

We want a Tesla Model Y, and will happily sit out the poor VW/ FORD / PSA competition and waitr another 1-2 years to buy the best. 

HOLA448
10 hours ago, markyh said:

Tesla sell every car that rolls out their factories that they can make.  Picture will change when Berlin opens to supply Europe.  Tesla has a production limitations, not a sales or demand limitations. Globally Tesla still out sell everyone. 

also we know well the true picture wont be known for Q2 until july because Telsa wont ship to Europe until end of quarter, June.  In Feb Tesla was losing the European BEV sales race, in March it won it, and the whole quarter too. 

2021 is still VW's only chance to claim Global no.1 BEV maker, if they are lucky. 

The reason they wont win is "me". I'm a prime VW ID4 customer, but, dont want it, slow, old tech, and Telsa money spec matched. Sure you can get it cheaper than a Tesla Model y if you want to buy a poverty spec base model. 

We want a Tesla Model Y, and will happily sit out the poor VW/ FORD / PSA competition and waitr another 1-2 years to buy the best. 

We'll see.

I don't think people will buy cars based on faked efficency numbers and false promises of self driving.

Car companies understand that very well, as  demonstrated by car adverts .

HOLA449
12 hours ago, markyh said:

I'd argue the reason they probably will win it is "me".  I'm going for a test drive of the Skoda Enyaq 80 on the 10th. I'll probably put an order in then. Approx 18 week build date. I can easily afford whatever BEV I want. I just don't like any Tesla. 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I'd argue the reason they probably will win it is "me".  I'm going for a test drive of the Skoda Enyaq 80 on the 10th. I'll probably put an order in then. Approx 18 week build date. I can easily afford whatever BEV I want. I just don't like any Tesla. 

Sure, Skoda Enyaq is aimed at people who dont like change and want to look like they are driving a fancy new ice car, so they dont get picked on. Dont forget to take off the green rectangle number plates an swap them to "GB" ones. 

with Tesla, we wont even need any special numberplates, everyone knows who and what Tesla are. 

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, markyh said:

Sure, Skoda Enyaq is aimed at people who dont like change and want to look like they are driving a fancy new ice car, so they dont get picked on. Dont forget to take off the green rectangle number plates an swap them to "GB" ones. 

with Tesla, we wont even need any special numberplates, everyone knows who and what Tesla are. 

I sort of thought the lack of an exhaust and front radiator grille would be a giveaway. 

HOLA4412
5 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

I sort of thought the lack of an exhaust and front radiator grille would be a giveaway. 

Big ass fake rad grill on the front of the Enyaq, unless you are blind?  Huge great big wide grin of fakeness, absolutely no need for it, kills aero.  Also, hundreds and hundreds of ice designs you cant see any physical exhaust from the rear as they are hidden, you would need to lay on the ground and look under the rear bumper to even see the tailpipe. 

HOLA4413
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If this is the current EV thread i've just heard that a mate of mine has purchased this bespoke electric car. He's a scumbag landlord dripping in London property but as he's an old mate I don't wish him the same closing seconds as James Dean. Looks pretty cool and good example of what can be done with generic electric motor and Tesla battery.

https://chesil.co.uk/electric-chesil-e/

HOLA4416
6 hours ago, smash said:

If this is the current EV thread i've just heard that a mate of mine has purchased this bespoke electric car. He's a scumbag landlord dripping in London property but as he's an old mate I don't wish him the same closing seconds as James Dean. Looks pretty cool and good example of what can be done with generic electric motor and Tesla battery.

https://chesil.co.uk/electric-chesil-e/

And an awful lot of money?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Why would anyone buy a new car if the political rhetoric is to change over a buy another style of new car, why change a perfectly working gas boiler when no need to......often some of the older used cars are better made than a new car and a fraction be of the cost to buy and maintain, because there is less that can go wrong with them.;)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
5 hours ago, winkie said:

Why would anyone buy a new car if the political rhetoric is to change over a buy another style of new car, why change a perfectly working gas boiler when no need to......often some of the older used cars are better made than a new car and a fraction be of the cost to buy and maintain, because there is less that can go wrong with them.;)

Marketing?

I do take your point, it would be a bit silly to outlay a lot of cash for a car, until it is established what the next generation of cars will be, obviously some sort of electric, but you don't want to end up with a "Betamax" car.

(Obviously I realise you might need a car for practical reasons)

HOLA4422
16 minutes ago, reddog said:

Marketing?

I do take your point, it would be a bit silly to outlay a lot of cash for a car, until it is established what the next generation of cars will be, obviously some sort of electric, but you don't want to end up with a "Betamax" car.

(Obviously I realise you might need a car for practical reasons)

We're 10 years away though from the supposed EV changeover, so I don't think it is too bad buying an ICE car now. Maybe in 5 years time it might be questionable.

The simple answer to why someone would replace a gas boiler with a new one is because a) the old one is knackered and you can't get the parts for it and b) the old ones although maybe more robust (that said the Worcester Bosch ones are pretty much bulletproof and come with a 10 year warranty) are horribly inefficient. You could well end up saving £100-£200 a year in gas costs.

HOLA4423

I got double what I thought my banger was worth which I used on a 0% finance deal on a car with a 10 year warranty lol.  Not electric, I’d only have a Tesla because of the charging network but they’re out of my price range. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

We're 10 years away though from the supposed EV changeover, so I don't think it is too bad buying an ICE car now. Maybe in 5 years time it might be questionable.

The simple answer to why someone would replace a gas boiler with a new one is because a) the old one is knackered and you can't get the parts for it and b) the old ones although maybe more robust (that said the Worcester Bosch ones are pretty much bulletproof and come with a 10 year warranty) are horribly inefficient. You could well end up saving £100-£200 a year in gas costs.

Don't agree......marketing.....the old boilers go on forever, forever booting up.....they are not horribly inefficient as some make them out to be, very reliable......ask an older what used to be a corgi gas engineer what they would prefer.......re cars even a three year old low mileage used car can easily give a good 10 of service.;)