House Price Crash Forum

BoE investigates 'terrifying' rise in borrowing to fund new car purchases

HOLA441
38 minutes ago, longgone said:

Tesla will be irrelevant by 2030

Saying that if they can make a 20k sub 3s to 60 car with a 75" lcd panel inside and nappa leather seats i could look one over.

Yeah I heard you don’t sit on anything other than nappa leather :D 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
50 minutes ago, longgone said:

Saying that if they can make a 20k sub 3s to 60 car with a 75" lcd panel inside and nappa leather seats i could look one over.

Why are all the electric car makers putting so much stuff in there that uses electricity ?

Every get the feeling you're being played ?

HOLA443
1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

You have to be a certain type of person to be sitting in a car thinking I wish the leather was nicer.

IIRC when I bought an M5 in 2009 nappa was a lower cost option. My 9 month old second hand one came with the top spec one, whatever that was because the previous owner ticked ever option and promptly lost almost all the extra money he spent.    

HOLA444
1 hour ago, longgone said:

By 2030, our mum's Herse's will be Telsa's. 

HOLA445
18 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

You have to be a certain type of person to be sitting in a car thinking I wish the leather was nicer.

IIRC when I bought an M5 in 2009 nappa was a lower cost option. My 9 month old second hand one came with the top spec one, whatever that was because the previous owner ticked ever option and promptly lost almost all the extra money he spent.    

Some people always want more.

The previous owner is probably stuck in an unsellable new build right now. 

HOLA446
6 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

just have to make do with pesky alcantara and a bit of leather on the bolsters😂

6 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Why are all the electric car makers putting so much stuff in there that uses electricity ?

Every get the feeling you're being played ?

because touchscreens are cheap many cars have no buttons inside anymore. why make a separate expensive range of switch's and wires when you can just have one panel, until it fails of course then you get in one morning and cant switch the demister on or heating. 

HOLA447
HOLA448

Apparently people have been experiencing software issues on the ID3 so it does look like VW have a way to go. Having looked into both the processor and the software of Tesla I would say that they are leagues ahead of VW etc. at the moment, if you value all that stuff, and of course most of the Tesla CPUs power is related/required for the autopilot upgrade. Not for me personally, I don't even bother using in built navigation or google maps. Is it necessary to have a processor and software just to run the drive train, brakes, lights etc?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Someone was telling me if you by a citreon or some such crappy automobile like that you need to lease the batteries.

Talk about being stitched up

I certainly think that's the case with the Renault Zoe. 

HOLA4411
51 minutes ago, MattW said:

I certainly think that's the case with the Renault Zoe. 

You don't have to lease, there is an option to buy outright but its expensive

HOLA4412
9 hours ago, smash said:

Is it necessary to have a processor and software just to run the drive train, brakes, lights etc?

Probably - wiring looms are digital saving a tremendous amount of labour and complexity in production compared to a traditional analogue loom 

You effectively have one digital bus - you need a processor to control all that 

In the gearboxes case it is about optimising up shifts etc to meet emission targets as well 

HOLA4413
47 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Probably - wiring looms are digital saving a tremendous amount of labour and complexity in production compared to a traditional analogue loom 

You effectively have one digital bus - you need a processor to control all that 

In a Tesla, yes. In a VW ID3, no. they have several systems that they struggle to get to talk to each other via software compatability issues. 

In a Tesla, you can program it to do anything if you wish, via voice command too, and update all the cars over the air. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

“Owned by Hangzhou-based Zhejiang Geely Holding Group”

I didn’t know this. 

Oh yes. If it hasn't happened already, future Volvos will be manufactured in China. Farewell Swedish durability. :rolleyes:

HOLA4417
2 minutes ago, MattW said:

Oh yes. If it hasn't happened already, future Volvos will be manufactured in China. Farewell Swedish durability. :rolleyes:

And they’re selling them via monthly subscription??

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/build/xc40-electric/offer?token=7844774634538219882&cbv=1&pricing=fixed

But a lot of high end stuff is made in china without issue. Apple etc. Worth a watch https://www.netflix.com/title/81090071?s=i&trkid=13747225

Edited by PeanutButter

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
11 hours ago, smash said:

Apparently people have been experiencing software issues on the ID3 so it does look like VW have a way to go. Having looked into both the processor and the software of Tesla I would say that they are leagues ahead of VW etc. at the moment, if you value all that stuff, and of course most of the Tesla CPUs power is related/required for the autopilot upgrade. Not for me personally, I don't even bother using in built navigation or google maps. Is it necessary to have a processor and software just to run the drive train, brakes, lights etc?

ID 3 software update is out on 8th March, fixing the issues.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, erat_forte said:

You don't have to lease, there is an option to buy outright but its expensive

They cancelled the lease option a year ago, purchase is now the only option.

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

“Owned by Hangzhou-based Zhejiang Geely Holding Group”

I didn’t know this. 

Cancelled that deal a few days ago. Volvo is still independent.

1 hour ago, markyh said:

In a Tesla, you can program it to do anything if you wish, via voice command too, and update all the cars over the air. 

Hardly unique. Voice command is utterly useless if you have kids. Tesla uses it because its cheap.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
40 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

They cancelled the lease option a year ago, purchase is now the only option.

Cancelled that deal a few days ago. Volvo is still independent.

Hardly unique. Voice command is utterly useless if you have kids. Tesla uses it because its cheap.

Hasn't been for years in a financial sense - The holding company is the same just semantics.

They will have been sharing tech since 2010 both ways  

It was the parent company, Zhejiang Geely Holding, that purchased Volvo Cars in 2010, not the Geely Auto Group. ... The company has announced plans to merge Volvo Cars with Geely Auto, not with Zhejiang Geely Holding,

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425