House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Armed police at football grounds now?

Protecting the crowd against terrorists??!!

Considering the recent car attacks have 'only' killed 4 or 5 people, i would have thought a situation where tens of thousands of people are crowded together in a small place would be quite a good target.

It's amazing in this country that even second and third tier clubs get tens of thousands of fans, i would have thought some of these would be pretty soft targets (sorry to think like this, but this is surely the thinking of the more tactical members of terrorist groups)

That's nonsense, how exactly would armed police be able to protect a crowd from a bomb going off?

If there's armed police at a stadium it's usually because they have reason to expect hooliganism is going to happen.

Another reason could be VIP spectators attending the match.

6 hours ago, The Eagle said:

That's nonsense, how exactly would armed police be able to protect a crowd from a bomb going off?

If there's armed police at a stadium it's usually because they have reason to expect hooliganism is going to happen.

Hooliganism ? When was the last time a fighting fan was shot by armed police at a UK game....

It's just a show of force imo.

8 hours ago, The Eagle said:

I agree it is nonsense (unless they were stopping a driving attack or similar), but they want to show some sort of presence.

You see the same at airports though, and think they are just trying to look like they are doing something. 

Re: hooliganism, never seen any police in this country try to stop it with guns.

11 hours ago, The Eagle said:

The police will never shoot football hooligans. It just isn't going to happen.

If it's for the same reason as they're in the city/town malls and in the high streets along with concrete block fortressing the reason given by the authorities is to protect against lorry style attacks after the latest spate of such attacks in europe.  It was introduced before the Westminster attack but that will have reinforced the policy.

It seems a very high price to pay for whatever benefits that might or might not have been derived from their general policies.

4 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Inside the ground.

It also covers the immediate vicinity outside the ground as well..

On 4/15/2017 at 2:39 PM, billybong said:

It seems a very high price to pay for whatever benefits that might or might not have been derived from their general policies.

It's a taboo subject that you have to be vague and indirect about.

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

No, but they profit from the event.

And they pay tax on their profits.

A state that can't provide basic security as standard is a failed state.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

That's every country in the world then. 

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/news-syp/armed-officers-patrolling-hillsborough-and-new-york-stadium

Armed officers patrolling Hillsborough and New York Stadium

Additional officers, some armed, will be providing reassurance and public engagement at today’s (Friday 14 April) football matches between Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff, as well as Rotherham versus Birmingham.

There is no increased threat at the games, so why not take the opportunity to come and say ‘hello’ to the South Yorkshire policing team?

We’d like people to be alert but not alarmed.

2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

But why have special provision just because a bunch of people want to watch a pigs bladder being kicked around.

2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

But why have special provision just because a bunch of people want to watch a pigs bladder being kicked around.

I don't care about football. I don't watch it. I don't support a team. I've never been to a match.

What i do care about is people's freedom to go about their business. To some people football is very important. They want to be free to go and watch a match. You suggest that the clubs should be charged for protecting the general public going about their lawful business because of an external threat to the general population.

That's very different to the clubs being charged to police the behaviour of their own supporters.

5 hours ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

It's a taboo subject that you have to be vague and indirect about.

It's also difficult to pin it all down just in one sentence. 

10 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I don't care about football. I don't watch it. I don't support a team. I've never been to a match.

What i do care about is people's freedom to go about their business. To some people football is very important. They want to be free to go and watch a match. You suggest that the clubs should be charged for protecting the general public going about their lawful business because of an external threat to the general population.

That's very different to the clubs being charged to police the behaviour of their own supporters.

I'd rather see London better protected, than have police deployed to an 'optional' football game.