Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Supermarket instantly offends 2.2 BILLION people

Recommended Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39587226

 

Tesco has apologised for any offence from a beer advertisement that claimed "Good Friday just got better".

The ad ran in some newspapers to promote "great offers on beer and cider" in the run-up to Easter.

The supermarket said it would not run the ad again after it attracted criticism from some religious figures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a problem with people getting outraged and offended, over this that and the other. but I also have a real problem with big business hijacking every celebration known to man, unless connected with Islam of course.

Children growing up today often attach more loyalty to a brand than human traditions, which whether you believe in the sentiment these traditions portray or not, do bring people together. Tradition is something that gives people a connection. Brands come and they go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many angles on this beer, religion, special days and penny grabbing marketing and not to mention Tesco as a bank it's a matter of where to start.

Trust Tesco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not one of the offended people but I did stop to think whilst in the supermarket (not Tesco) yesterday.

People's trolleys seemed to mainly contain chocolate in various ridiculous shapes, and alcohol in abundance.

Another example of an important date on the Christian calendar being turned into greed and self - indulgence, although the cash outlay per family is less than Christmas, it's still an opportunity for sales.

A thing I do when asked at the office 'what are you doing for Easter?' is I answer 'Oh, I'm not religious'. Blank puzzled look then as they struggle to remember what this Holiday is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frankief said:

I'm not one of the offended people but I did stop to think whilst in the supermarket (not Tesco) yesterday.

People's trolleys seemed to mainly contain chocolate in various ridiculous shapes, and alcohol in abundance.

Another example of an important date on the Christian calendar being turned into greed and self - indulgence, although the cash outlay per family is less than Christmas, it's still an opportunity for sales.

A thing I do when asked at the office 'what are you doing for Easter?' is I answer 'Oh, I'm not religious'. Blank puzzled look then as they struggle to remember what this Holiday is about.

Jesus ate lots of chocolate at the last supper, and could see lots of bunny rabbits at Calvary. That is why they are celebrated at Easter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Jesus ate lots of chocolate at the last supper, and could see lots of bunny rabbits at Calvary. That is why they are celebrated at Easter.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why stop at Christianity?

Why not do some ads for other religions as well?

What about:

'Don't 'pass over' our Kosher deals!'

'Hooray, Hooray, it's a Holi, Holi day!'

'Have a ramadanadingdong this Ramadan with special offers on lager'. 

Thought not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Why stop at Christianity?

Why not do some ads for other religions as well?

What about:

'Don't 'pass over' our Kosher deals!'

'Hooray, Hooray, it's a Holi, Holi day!'

'Have a ramadanadingdong this Ramadan with special offers on lager'. 

Thought not. 

5 live's Your Call with Nicky Campbell had this as a topic at the time. I did text asking why Christianity was the only religion routinely mocked by retailers. I'm fine with that as long as the same rules apply to all religions. Surprisingly it wasn't read out for some reason....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much now is engineered to collect funds via advertisements, marketing, sales.....even the election and the pressure to have a TV debate that thousands would watch/listen to, talk about that would generate millions in ad revenue.....sport the same, religion like Christmas and Easter is no different......any opportunity to sell something to someone.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John The Pessimist said:

5 live's Your Call with Nicky Campbell had this as a topic at the time. I did text asking why Christianity was the only religion routinely mocked by retailers. I'm fine with that as long as the same rules apply to all religions. Surprisingly it wasn't read out for some reason....

That's my view too. I don't mind jokes being made about religion - if God is the First Cause, the Ground of our Being and the Alpha and Omega, He knows the punchline before it's said anyway, what I object to is the hypocrisy (and cowardice) of only joking about Christianity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   100 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.