House Price Crash Forum
reddog

Just read the area of Birmingham I am from, and the area I went to school are both in the top 5 for UK benefits recipients

Just read the area I am from, and the area I went to school are both in the top 5 for UK benefits recipients.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4408176/Birmingham-named-Britain-s-benefits-capital.html

(though I guess you could debate if those figures are a good measure if deprevation, rather than 10.3% jobseakers allowance, it would be better to quote the 90 something percent of people getting some sort of benefit)

Can't help thinking that this gives me an insight that a lot of people have missed out on into the long term trends of the economy (in my view downward).

I should probably be grateful I have had such an education, I reckon my knowledge is a good 15 - 20 years ahead of people from a more sheltered background.

It is especially interesting to note Birmingham was formerly one of the wealthiest parts of the country:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/2013/05/birmingham

Edited by reddog
Adding link