House Price Crash Forum

French Elections

skomer

HOLA441

Looks like the result may be "unpredictable"  - Melenchon v LePen in the final round? That would be some black-swan event...

All French people I know expect Macron to win but he has to get through the first round and the support for Macron & LePen has been slowly dropping if you believe the polls..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/12/french-presidential-election-surge-far-left-candidate-melenchon

"....A dramatic seven-point surge by the wildcard leftwing veteran Jean-Luc Mélenchon appears to be holding, unexpectedly turning France’s roller-coaster presidential race into a possible four-way contest.

Barely 10 days from the first round of voting on 23 April, the independent centrist Emmanuel Macron and far-right leader Marine Le Pen, both with 23-24% of the vote, are still favourites to go through to the run-off round.

But Mélenchon, an acid-tongued political showman with a radical tax-and-spend platform, is now just five or six points behind. Some recent polls have placed him third, ahead of the scandal-hit centre-right candidate, François Fillon.

Mélenchon’s rise means that with up to a third of voters undecided, no two opinion polls entirely alike and margins of error to account for, it is impossible to say with certainty who of the front four will go head-to-head in the second round.

HOLA442

So the choices are Le Pen who wants to close the boarders and give the people a Frexit vote.

OR

Macron who has suggested unity (reads more of the same) who is an EX BANKER (reads avoid like fook) married to his 80 year old school teach (reads creepy) 

HOLA443
HOLA444

I think LePen vs Macron is still odds on.

But both the Brexit vote and US presidential election had plenty of unexpected twists and turns.  Has the French election got one big turn to come?

If it came down to Melenchon vs LePen the EU and Euro could effectively be over, that's a pretty high risk if you ask me.

The way things are going in France, even if a mainstream candidate wins this time, in the next 3 to 4 elections an 'unconventional' candidate is bound to win.

HOLA445
5 hours ago, macca13 said:

So the choices are Le Pen who wants to close the boarders and give the people a Frexit vote.

OR

Macron who has suggested unity (reads more of the same) who is an EX BANKER (reads avoid like fook) married to his 80 year old school teach (reads creepy) 

Holy crap, they got together when he was 16 and she was 40, and he is the leading candidate!!

Could be an interesting meet up between Macron and wife, plus Trump and wife!!

I reckon if Macron wins it will definitely lead to an reaction the next time with a hard left or hard right candidate winning.  Macron is just postponing the inevitable.

HOLA446
HOLA447
8 hours ago, macca13 said:

my understanding is that le pen wants to exit the euro based on this vote. the frexit [eu exit] vote may also be a policy for later but france out of the euro leaves doubt over the entire project - both euro and eu. Neither survive in their current form.

What i find odd is that all polls say le pen cannot win the run-off. she gets max 40%. But bookmakers still offer 2:1. Suggests a 1/3 chance she can win?

HOLA448
1 hour ago, ebull said:

my understanding is that le pen wants to exit the euro based on this vote. the frexit [eu exit] vote may also be a policy for later but france out of the euro leaves doubt over the entire project - both euro and eu. Neither survive in their current form.

What i find odd is that all polls say le pen cannot win the run-off. she gets max 40%. But bookmakers still offer 2:1. Suggests a 1/3 chance she can win?

Would you really want an ex banker in charge with a fetish for old age pensioners.. lol

I think it is delaying the inevitable, with the increase in terrorist attacks of late by the time the next elections come round will people really continue to vote for more of the same? In Holland it was only policy changes implemented by the existing leading party moving further to the right that stopped the right from making gains. With Fillion (right) facing corruption out of the race, unless Macron starts looking right in the final round and talking tough about immigration Le Pen is in with a shot. Will the French people take another term of mass immigration..  It cost Germany 22 billion Euro's in 1 year (last year), how much can the failing French economy handle, never mind terror attacks and mass  (unreported on the BBC) riots in Paris.. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Le Pen vows to challenge ‘savage globalization’ in final push ahead of French presidential vote

Following attempted disruptions of her rally by anti-National Front protesters and a FEMEN activist, France’s presidential hopeful Marine Le Pen reinforced her promises to defend the French from the woes of the globalized world, including uncontrollable migration.

https://www.rt.com/news/385109-le-pen-elections-rally-protests/

HOLA4411

Macron Ahead of Le Pen By 1% in 1st Round of French Presidential Elections

French far-right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen's chances to win the first round of the elections against independent hopeful Emmanuel Macron have decreased by 0.5 percent since Monday and is now lagging behind her opponent by one point, an Ifop poll showed Tuesday.

https://sputniknews.com/europe/201704181052736866-macron-le-pen-elections/

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
7 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

If a serving US president is openly hostile to the MSM and NATO, in it`s present form, does it make any difference what this guy thinks?

I think the US President is more irrelevant in this case. NATO and the EU are based in Brussels. And the guy is a Rothschild bankster who has never held elected office. He's perfect for the EU elites.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Election in France: 'Despair Over the Existing Policy and Hope for Changes'

The majority of Europe's politicians congratulated Macron following his victory in the first round of France's presidential elections on Sunday, while ignoring his famously Eurosceptic populist opponent, Marine Le Pen. Meanwhile, protesters in Paris voiced their dissatisfaction with both candidates.

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201704241052934357-french-election-comments/

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
7 hours ago, Errol said:

Too funny.

I think when two sources as diametrically opposed as Sputnik and The Spectator form the same opinion about Macron, the guy is obviously, seriously iffy.

Right on cue, the first to congratulate him were Schulz, Mogherini and the former Secretary General of NATO.

His notable views include that London banks should be denied access to the single market and that the Kremlin is interfering in the French elections. He is simply a re-tweeter of EU on-messages.

Plus ca change . . . 

HOLA4425